Power Mac G4 1.25GHz = Gone = New iMac @ or around 1,000$?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Power Mac G4 1.25GHz/1MBL3/256MB/80G/Combo/Rad9000

Unopened Power Mac G4

$1,299.00

Single 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 processor

Combo Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM)

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

Five slots: one 4x AGP and four open 64-bit PCI

80GB Ultra ATA drive

256MB DDR333 SDRAM

Mac OS 9 boot supported

= Gone very last few left

I think the timing of this = New lower iMac price

and eMac2 will hold the 600$+ group

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    What are you going on about?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Are you selling? Hehehe. I didn't get it either.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Five slots: one 4x AGP and four open 64-bit PCI

Low end PowerMacs are not quite the same market as the iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Are you selling? Hehehe. I didn't get it either.

The Power Mac G4 1.25GHz, while still pictured on the Apple Store no longer has a dedicated section. Instead the image links to the Special Deals section.

So M.O.S.T. means that Apple will end sale of the PMG4 all together and that a new machine will met the $1000 price point. Sounds good to me, the "Buy Now While Supplies Last" text (in red) was added not too long ago. (Mid-Summer?)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

The Power Mac G4 1.25GHz, while still pictured on the Apple Store no longer has a dedicated section. Instead the image links to the Special Deals section.

Been like that for a few weeks now...

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 8
    habuhabu Posts: 8member
    The university i work at and do the mac buying was originaly looking at the G4 iMac, come July 1 we lost the ability to buy them. We did not want to move to the eMac due to its monitor (We are trying to move to all LCD). So we went with the next affordable option, G4 tower. I am guessing they just ran out/running out and are just not going to make them any more and leave it to be the same way it was when the G4 tower was king of the hill. iMac for bit higher price or eMac for lower pirce. This would also end the OS9 boot option I think.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Been like that for a few weeks now...

Dave

eery...i just found that myself...in my opinion...means absolutely nothing...they just dont wanna sell them anymore... and quite frankly with an assumed new lineup of many products coming fall 04 to spring 05, u would hafta be very out of the loop to purchase an old machine...not saying that they arent fantastic machines at all...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Habu

The university i work at and do the mac buying was originaly looking at the G4 iMac, come July 1 we lost the ability to buy them. We did not want to move to the eMac due to its monitor (We are trying to move to all LCD). So we went with the next affordable option, G4 tower. I am guessing they just ran out/running out and are just not going to make them any more and leave it to be the same way it was when the G4 tower was king of the hill. iMac for bit higher price or eMac for lower pirce. This would also end the OS9 boot option I think.

Why people will buy those OS 9 booting machines:

An acquaintance talked to me the other day about their spouse buying a new Mac. They were planning on getting the G4 tower. I asked why not the eMac, and was told they absolutely needed OS 9 booting. After pressing them, I found out it was only for their old copy of Virtual PC. Um, 1299-799 = $500, which is less than a new copy of Virtual PC. Plus, they will need to buy a monitor. But they "needed" OS 9 booting, even after I said "are you sure? You could save $500!" Then again, it's their money, not mine. Chances are in a year or two they will need to spring for the new version of Virtual PC anyway because there's no more support for their OS 9 apps and they'll have to boot in OS X all the time. Oh well, try to be helpful to a closed-minded person and have them ignore you... just don't ever offer to help them again.