Schillers keynote and Jobs thunder

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    I totally forgot about his Gulfstream. Duh! He'd be able to go non-stop from SF to Paris and sleep very comfortably the whole way.

However, I've read that air travel and the change in cabin pressure can be painful for anyone with even minor post operative conditions, so it may well be against doctor's orders to fly anywhere at all, no matter how state of the art the aircraft my be.

That, plus the keynote is 1-3AM California time, so switching to a radically different time zone while still recovering could be very difficult.

I still think we'll see him in person though.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

And not to forget that Phil Schiller is a very charismatic dude. He'd do a great Philnote. After Steve, he's probably the most recognizable Apple employee.

Ive is pretty cool, but in the middle of announcing the iMac G5, he'd pause and close his eyes, while whispering the very essences and primal shapes that make the iMac G5 'honest and flawless'.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    SJ will not appear in person. He will not upstage the event for personal ego reasons. His doctor wouldn't allow him to travel anyway, either in his own plane or any other. He had very invasive surgery. He's not 20 years old and it takes months to recover. Saying he would be back on the job in September was just something to boost the confidence of stockholders and Wall Street. His return, if it occurs, will be short hours and just a few days a week. You gotta be realistic about these things. By the way, a seemingly higher resolution iSight was used when he introduced Tiger at WWDC. However, a "new" iSight is shipping. It just has a modified way to attach to the new aluminum screen (a magnet). That's it. A high resolution version will most likely come out when Tiger is ready next year.

17 hours and counting.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

However, a "new" iSight is shipping. It just has a modified way to attach to the new aluminum screen (a magnet). That's it. A high resolution version will most likely come out when Tiger is ready next year.

17 hours and counting. [/B]

So the big news will be Apple's discovery of the aluminum magnet! I'm calling my broker now...
  • Reply 25 of 37
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NoMoMetal

So the big news will be Apple's discovery of the aluminum magnet! I'm calling my broker now...

Nice...
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

However, I've read that air travel and the change in cabin pressure can be painful for anyone with even minor post operative conditions, so it may well be against doctor's orders to fly anywhere at all, no matter how state of the art the aircraft my be.

I traveled on plane about a week after surgery on my leg two months ago. Felt fine.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

SJ will not appear in person. He will not upstage the event for personal ego reasons. His doctor wouldn't allow him to travel anyway, either in his own plane or any other. He had very invasive surgery. He's not 20 years old and it takes months to recover. Saying he would be back on the job in September was just something to boost the confidence of stockholders and Wall Street. His return, if it occurs, will be short hours and just a few days a week. You gotta be realistic about these things. By the way, a seemingly higher resolution iSight was used when he introduced Tiger at WWDC. However, a "new" iSight is shipping. It just has a modified way to attach to the new aluminum screen (a magnet). That's it. A high resolution version will most likely come out when Tiger is ready next year.

17 hours and counting.

Ok, I just really am not sure if you know what you're talking about. This was a fairly small and non-agressive form of cancer. I really have no clue but I imagine there is a fair chance it was done laproscopically (I'm sure I've spelled that wrong) which would involve a fast recovery. My mother had a total hysterectomy and she was back working full time in six weeks. It's quite possible for him to be up and about by now
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:

SJ will not appear in person. He will not upstage the event for personal ego reasons. His doctor wouldn't allow him to travel anyway, either in his own plane or any other. He had very invasive surgery. He's not 20 years old and it takes months to recover. Saying he would be back on the job in September was just something to boost the confidence of stockholders and Wall Street. His return, if it occurs, will be short hours and just a few days a week. You gotta be realistic about these things.

This is absolutely right. Steve may seem immortal but he really is just a man. Besides, that would be totally uncool to Phil for him to upstage him like that. Phil is going to do it, he'll do a good job, Steve will say hi using iSight, and we'll have a new new iMac to drool over.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by jconstant

This is absolutely right. Steve may seem immortal but he really is just a man. Besides, that would be totally uncool to Phil for him to upstage him like that. Phil is going to do it, he'll do a good job, Steve will say hi using iSight, and we'll have a new new iMac to drool over.

This is what I'm talking about. Up and about is not the same thing as traveling in an airplane and undergoing the kind of pressure and preparation needed for a keynote. It doesn't make sense or does he need to be there and he won't (in person). Also we do not know how his recovery is going. It could be well or it could be only fair or even poorly. Every person reacts differently to surgery. And as I said before, this is not about Steve Jobs. It's about Apple Computer Inc. and products. Of course in the end, it's up to Jobs (on advice from his doctor) whether to be there in person or not.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

This is what I'm talking about. Up and about is not the same thing as traveling in an airplane and undergoing the kind of pressure and preparation needed for a keynote. It doesn't make sense or does he need to be there and he won't (in person). Also we do not know how his recovery is going. It could be well or it could be only fair or even poorly. Every person reacts differently to surgery. And as I said before, this is not about Steve Jobs. It's about Apple Computer Inc. and products. Of course in the end, it's up to Jobs (on advice from his doctor) whether to be there in person or not.

And yes, we do know his recovery is going extremely well.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

And yes, we do know his recovery is going extremely well.

We do? Care to share the info most of us would be interested in.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

It's posted on Apple's front page. It says "Click here for Steve Jobs daily health report"
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/08/01/jobs/

Apple's Jobs doing well after cancer surgery

By Jim Dalrymple

Apple Computer Inc. CEO, Steve Jobs told employees in an email that he has successfully undergone cancer surgery this weekend. Jobs was diagnosed with a rare form of pancreatic cancer, but is reportedly doing well after surgery.

"This weekend I underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas," Jobs said in the note to staff. "I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was). I will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments."

Jobs explained in the email that his was not the more common form of pancreatic cancer is called adenocarcinoma, which has a life expectancy of about one year after diagnosis.

"I mention this because when one hears 'pancreatic cancer' (or Googles it), one immediately encounters this far more common and deadly form, which, thank god, is not what I had," said Jobs.

Jobs said he would take the month of August to recuperate and will return to work in September. During his absence, Jobs has asked Tim Cook, Apple's executive vice president Worldwide Sales and Operations, to take over Apple's day-today operations.

In an interview with Bloomberg today Intuit Inc. Chairman and Apple Board member William Campbell said that Apple's board is comfortable with Tim Cook and the rest of the management team if Jobs' recovery lasts beyond the September timeframe.

"I was over there a little bit ago. He is awake, alert, energetic, his color is good. He's animated and the doctors have communicated that Steve's prognosis is extremely good," said Campbell.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Yes. I've seen that. It was released right after the surgery over a month ago. There has been nothing since then.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

Yes. I've seen that. It was released right after the surgery over a month ago. There has been nothing since then.

Correct, and since it was over a month ago, it is safe to bet that if he was doing well then, he is probably even closer to a full recovery by now.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    I don't see why everyone is so concerned with Steve's health. Plenty of other companies have done very well despite the loss of their leaders:

Okay, bad example.

• Reply 37 of 37
    He was doing well post operatively. But that means nothing in the near or long term. Complications do arise sometimes. I'm sure Steve is fine and enjoying as best he can not going to his office at Pixar or Apple. We all wish him a speedy recover and return to the daily grind.