Upgraded iPod...In your honest opinion, possible for MWSF?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
And by upgraded I mean not just bigger, but better, like a color screen and / or etc...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Why is a color screen better. How much time do you spend looking at the screen when listening to the music? Color can actually make it more difficult to read typeface. Also, since Apple has just recently started to offfer the iPod in a Windows version I seriously doubt they will come out with a new one until next Spring. Possiblly they may drop the price of the 5 Gig or completely eliminate it from the lineup.

[ 12-20-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 39
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If a new one can save Breakout games, my old one is going to be on eBay faster than you can say "THOSE ARE HOW MUCH?!?!?!?"
  • Reply 3 of 39
    just some "cannon fodder" thoughts:

what if they can hook up two iPods together to transfer Address &lt;like beaming on a Palm Pilot&gt; and also play two player games.. fun? insane?

flick.

Merry Christmas.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    coscos Posts: 99member
    The only enhancement that I'd like to see is sound-in capeabilities.

I've been scouring the web for an MP3 player that has the capeability to digitally record to MP3. So far, there's only a small handful.

The posabilities would be incredible. Such devices would replace DAT audio recorders. Imagine going to a meeting and rather than taking notes... just setting your ipod to record... or going to a concert and recording it... or simply taking notes in class... then haveing text to speech software transcribe it for you.

A color screen has little use for me... what I want is either a firewire microphone or a firmware update that allows the headphone jack to double as a microphone.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    The iPod sells because it is easy to use, has fabulous sound and appeals to adults as well as 20 somethings. I'm not interested in playing games, leave that for consoles and computers.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    If apple was to add the ability to save games, that wouldn't require a new ipod - just an update to the software. Same with if they added new games.

I can't see them making any major changes to the hardware for a while. It still sells very well for them - I read somewhere they have 30% MP3 player market share world wide or something like that.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Is there an SDK for the iPod. Where do these games come from?
  • Reply 8 of 39
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I have heard from a bird that Bluetooth is for sure coming to the iPod...like Bluetooth headphones...
  • Reply 9 of 39
    I don't know? All that radiation around your head will cause cancer
  • Reply 10 of 39
    By color screen I meant te possibility of viewing Pictures and MPG's.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Little rock videos on your iPod :cool:
  • Reply 12 of 39
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    A color screen might actually be silly, but I know someone that bought an expensive cell phone (250+) because it had nice color screen savers.

Whatever sells....
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Just a thought:

In another new ipod thread I posted an extremely hypothetical direction i wish Apple would take the ipod towards. ie, 5" color screen, .mov playback etc. But since this thread seems to be geared on a more serious note then:

I would expect that IF Apple were to update the ipod at MWSF we should expect the product direction to address its more serious concerns such as where it fails to maintain a competitive advantage against other portable MP3 players.

I can't think of any off hand simply because I never really looked at other Mp3 portables, but if you can think of features other portables might have that are causing a loss of sales for ipods, expect those enhancements very likely.

After those issues are addressed we may see Apple take their differentiated focus strategy of product to a new level ie, color screens err video playback.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    other then sound in... the only reason people buy mp3 players other then the iPod is for one simple reason....PRICE.....
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Even so, price is often a false economy - or am I the only one who has ended up spending MORE in the long run because I tried to save money, was dissatisfied, & replaced the unit w/ a better one?

In reality, "just as good for a lot less" rarely works out according to expectation!
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Price won't come down, at least not dramatically. Apple, as far back as I can remember, has never used a cost focused strategy for it's products. I don't imagine they will start now. Apple is "think different" "the products are different, and so they "charge you different"

There has to be several things other Mp3 players can do that iPods can't? no? I guess i should do my research, I'm just plain lazy.

[ 12-21-2002: Message edited by: xXTitaniumXx ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 39
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I dun think the new iPod needs a colour screen. It does not seem very useful, and it will only unnecessary raise e price of the iPods.

I hope there will be a FM tuner though. It will be great listening to e radio once in a while.

And i can also listen to the lottery results
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Music Videos Stunned. 50mb music videos, thats about 600 MTV music vids on a 20GB ipod. But can't imagine the iPod would be quicktime video capable in its next update
  • Reply 19 of 39
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There's some color screen talk, and that's possible, but video on a 2" screen? More a case of gee whiz isn't this cool and useless all at once! A useful color screen mod might involve a digital wallet function. Dump stills to the iPod and preview them with an iPhoto companion (just to check) then keep shooting. iPod's small, photogs carry around alot more bulky stuff than that, and photographers out for a day of shooting can certainly appreciate the extra capacity of a digital wallet. One caveat though, to hav e any meaningful interaction with digital cameras you NEED USB!
  • Reply 20 of 39
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    The only big thing I can think of is if they added the ability to directly save video to the iPod's hard drive from a Firewire video camcorder. I know a few people who would kill to have that ability in such a small package...

Another killer app would be adding a cardreader slot, so people could turn the iPod into a digital wallet. Snap photos with your digital camera, pop the CF card into the iPod and the pictures automatically download to the iPod. The CF card is erased, and ready to use in the camera again!