Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 440
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Everyone please let me know where to send you a box of kleenex so you can blow your noses after you are done whining.

Sheesh.
  • Reply 42 of 440
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by honeytoast

no 8x superdrive! the emac even has an 8x superdrive. wtf. read Tech Specs says at the bottom of the page

Please realize that this new iMac probably uses a laptop-style optical drive, whereas the eMac uses a full-sized drive of the type more typically found in a desktop computer. I don't think there are any 8x laptop superdrives, but even if there were, they could add a lot to the overall price.
  • Reply 43 of 440
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Hahahaha

Jonathan "That's the ugliest machine" Ives ever seen.

WTF???

Step in to my office...
  • Reply 44 of 440
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

how are kids going to play DOOM 3 on that?

Oh, wait, Apple says that you can. Now the question is how .
  • Reply 45 of 440
    No Firewire 800. That's too bad.
  • Reply 46 of 440
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    No surprise, its a nice sweet little computer for old ladies. I went to the web site and no video upgrade path. Then Apple talks as if its a gaming powerhouse with sit down while you read "FX5200" with a whole 64mb on board. Without a video option this thing will not appeal to the young crowd. The old unit i liked better. FX5200 cost Apple $16 per chip. so you have a $1300 plus machine with $16 video. oh well guess i did the right thing ordering Alienware. Anyways it has a clean design but by forcing all that heat into a little area it makes sure its not much of a performer.
  • Reply 47 of 440
    I am part of that "young crowd" and I absolutly love it! Can hardly wait to order mine.
  • Reply 48 of 440
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The 20 is the only model that has improved. G5 or not, 17" screen or not, the two 17" models still cost too much. However, I'll have to check the edu prices before I make a real determination. Rumor has it that the edu prices are almost what the retail prices should be.

Slower laptop grade slot loading drive. What were they thinking? 256MB of RAM ? 80GB HDDs ? These should both be double att he prices Apple is charging!

The machine isn't even as pretty as the old one, or as functional. So they loose the aesthetes. It costs too much for switchers. The iPod marketting tie in better be intense, otherwise it doesn't stand a chance.

BTW, now more than ever, are we in need of a DVI pass through hack.
  • Reply 49 of 440
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    The new iMac is defiantly cool looking and the form factor is a major plus (Me Want). I wish they would of done something else with the video card though, that?s the only factor as to why I?m not buying. I like games a lot; at work I can give two shitts what video card is in my machine, even if it had that intergraded Intel thingy. This is a home machine; it needs to have the latest multimedia, video and entertainment technology period, especially for a price of $2,253.00 (wireless, Bluetooth, 1gigmb upgrade, which are a must).

It?s a shame to because I really like the look, Apple stop crippling your consumer technology!

Here?s to hoping the next update has a better video card WITH FUCKING SPANNING and not just miring.
  • Reply 50 of 440
    I'm waiting for the uk edu prices to show up

might have to sell the PS2 to get one lol

If not theres always the now slow looking eMac
  • Reply 51 of 440
    I actually really like the new G5 iMac. I was hoping for an aluminum encasing, but I am glad they broke up the white with the silver base (I think a brushed aluminum Apple Logo matching the base would have tied it all in nicer than the gray one, but that's just me). I am however horrified that the keyboard and (Mickey) mouse hasn't changed. If you don't want a two button mouse, at least give us a damn scroll wheel!

These are the most obvious problems that are going to keep me from grabbing one now:

- The video card is positively horrendous and there should at LEAST be a 128mb version in the 20" model (or at least a BTO upgrade like on the PowerBooks). Something like the ATI Radeon 9600/9700 128MB would have been nice for the 20" as standard. These can run in Notebooks so they can run in the new iMac.

- 4X SuperDrive? You can't be serious? With up to 16X out there I would have assumed that Apple can do better than 4X. Even notebooks are getting 8X now so if there is a PowerBook like (thin) SuperDrive in there, they should all be 8X (as should the next PowerBook update). Aren't they all 24X base in terms of spinning speed? If vibration is a concern, will an 8X SuperDrive spin any faster than a 4X?

- It's a first run - first revision. I usually like to wait until the second revision so Apple can address all the issues in the beta release (ie: Revision A) and upgrade the weaker specs that may be noted in coming reviews (unless of course, it's reviewed by a Mac site or Mac magazine).

Seriously though, why does Apple always skimp? Skimp on the low end to keep the price point, but offer the goods (and the ones I suggest are nothing to scream about and middle-ground anyway) on the high-end.

Oh well, hopefully the next iMac G5 revision will address the above issues and add a few nice little upgrades - and that's when I'll bite. I wonder how long I'll have to wait?
  • Reply 52 of 440
    Has anyone got the UK price for the no modem/CD model?
  • Reply 53 of 440
    i likes it very much.

Im gonna start saving up for one as soon as i can....hopefully get one by the time rev.B is out.
  • Reply 54 of 440
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Here?s to hoping the next update has a better video card WITH FUCKING SPANNING and not just miring.

not going to happen. spanning is for pro machines. not for consumer. live with it...
  • Reply 55 of 440
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    now more than ever I want a headless mini G5!!!

Is it too much to ask for a mini tower that I can upgrade the GFX / DVD / HD whenever I want?

I can't fit (or afford) a G5 tower in my living room, but I'd pay £900 for a single 2GHz G5 with upgradable GFX.

• Reply 56 of 440
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Like i said before apple skimps on the low end to get you into the high end.

So it looks like all their computers are now coming out of China? no more made in America.

If Apple had a small cube like minitower with a video upgrade path that wasnt priced as powermac(ahem) they could get a boatload of switchers.They are stuck into this all in one mind set. did they learn anything from the last imac sales? the answer is no. soldered on video at 64mb is weak these days but it looks like Apple has decided what the consumer needs. not what they want. Their test audience must be little old ladies that never owned hardware.
  • Reply 57 of 440
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Patchouli, I completely agree with you. I was really waiting for this, foregoing an opportunity to grab a Dual 2ghz at a discount. I live in a fairly modest Apartment and I need all the space I can get. This little iMac would have complemented it properly. Dammit I like to game though and I?m not going to buy this thing just so I can bang my head against the table every time Halo and Doom III slows to a paltry 5 frames a second. You asked the right question, ?Seriously though, why does Apple always skimp??. A 2000 thousand dollar machine is not just a consumer product give me the goods!
  • Reply 58 of 440
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I think these new iMacs are damned nice. I have one of the new 23" monitors on my Power Mac, and I love how these new iMacs have so much of the elegance of the new Apple monitors -- with the added bonus that the whole computer fits inside the display. An all-aluminum body might have looked even better, but at least from the pictures, the white body is attractive in its own right. I can't wait to see a G5 iMac in person.

For all of you bitching about the price, it wasn't too long ago that I paid $1300 for a CRT G4 eMac. If you'd stop and think about the progress Apple has made compared to its own line up, and not compare everything to the bland Dell bargain boxes you might get at the same price, you'd be duly impressed. Yes, to buy one of these iMacs you have to be willing to pay a premium for style, and for the computer simply being a Mac running Panther, but in my book that's well worth it. Hell, I don't even need a new Mac, but I'm trying to think of an excuse to buy one anyway. I suspect I might just have to update the aforementioned eMac for someone's Christmas present this year.

I won't argue that this new iMac is a great "switcher" system. It might grab a few new Mac customers, but now the heavy, bulky G4 eMacs, which are at least closer to the price range where most new-to-Mac buyers would start, look even less attractive by comparison, and I think Apple needs something new in the under-$1000 category even more now to draw in new customers.

I think Apple might even have had something new to update or replace the eMac by now, but they're being held up waiting for a better G5 supply or an enhanced G4. I don't know if Apple will ever make the cheap headless Mac that so many think might expand Apple's market share, but I'm sure they must have something in the works to fill out the low end of there product line better than the current outdated eMacs do.
  • Reply 59 of 440
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    There is an interesting analogy between the iMacs of first and third (just announced) generation. In the two cases, it is just a display with the guts of a computer, each one in its own age (CRT vs. LCD).
  • Reply 60 of 440
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    WOW, I was really really wrong. I would never have thought it would look so much like the displays.