• Reply 1 of 86
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Dull,

Dull,

Dull,

Dull,

Dull,

Boring ugly computer.

Jonathan Ive must be driving a ford lately. I expected something that looked good from Apple. This machine looks... plain and boring. Maybe it will grow on me.

I guess that I am a member of the minority who liked the old iMac design.

I'm not saying that I won't come to like the new iMac, just that at first impression, it is dull.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Dull,

Dull,

Dull,

Dull,

Dull,

Boring ugly computer.

Jonathan Ive must be driving a ford lately. I expected something that looked good from Apple. This machine looks... plain and boring. Maybe it will grow on me.

I guess that I am a member of the minority who liked the old iMac design.

I'm not saying that I won't come to like the new iMac, just that at first impression, it is dull.

What did you want it to look like?
  • Reply 3 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

What did you want it to look like?

Well, that is obviously a hard question to answer. I think that I liked the previous generation iMac's swivel base and the ability to rearrange the screen. This iMac looks clunky in comparison. I really liked the floating screen of the previous iMac. Attaching the whole computer to the screen makes the machine look cumbersome.

From the front, it looks like an eMac on a stand. Of course, it isn't an eMac on a stand, and I probably need to get some hands on experience with the new machine before I will start liking it, but the current design just looks bulky.

Whatever people thought of the previous iMac, it was visually distinctive and quite unique. It really was a work of art. I think that most people disliked it because of its poor price/performance ratio, not its design. The new iMac doesn't have the same visual "oomph" of the old machine. It looks like one of those horrible all in one monitors with the speakers built in.

So I hope that answers your question. In summary, the new iMac looks like an eMac, the screen looks cumbersome, the screen doesn't have the same degree of mobility and freedom, and the machine overall isn't as visually distinctive.

Given time, I will probably appreciate the minimalist design. All I can say is that thank goodness it isn't aluminum, but that it is properly white
  • Reply 4 of 86
    Based on real photos posted from the Expo, the iMac has more personality and interesting details then what you see on the website with those flat, overly photoshopped pictures. This has always been the case since I can rememeber. See it in person to get a real feel for it (touch it too!). You can't swivel it as the current iMac (I have one), but it still goes up and down and because of the small footprint you can easily turn it if you need too. PowerMac users don't seem to be complaining about the new Cinema Displays. A nice touch is that the keyboard has a slot on the back that enables you to slide it onto the bottom of the stand. Nice touch. Again it's in the details, once you see it in person.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    I like it overall however I am unsure how I feel about the large eMac-looking gap from the bottom of the actual display to the base of the shell. At first appearance it looks like too much white realestate for a minimalist design. Design overall is good, but the choice of video cards makes me want to change the channel.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Everyone that saw my old iMac said "Where is the computer?" i then had to open the CDROM to show them that it was in the dome and it wasn't just the base of a monitor. It was hard for people to believe that small dome contained all the guts that were in their big bulky towers.

I think this new design is awesome. It was what many expected, I think. No more focus on the computer, just the OS or interface. I love the small footprint, and don't forget that it is VESA compliant which means that all kinds of integrated bases and arms will be developed by enterprising and creative people. The possibilities are endless.

It looks like the HD is easily upgraded which satisfies me. The memory is upgradable to 2 GIG!

It's a "Smart" monitor. And the prices are much lower.

I am battling myself not to order one right now.

Me likey.

EDIT: I am not so sure about the whole VESA thing now. I thought that i read that somewhere... so this may not apply.

Still likey.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    would have looked really slick if it were done in black instead
  • Reply 8 of 86
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    minus the video card scandal that will arise, I think they have a new "cube" on their hands.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it should be cheap cheap to ship, I would think.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I like it overall however I am unsure how I feel about the large eMac-looking gap from the bottom of the actual display to the base of the shell. At first appearance it looks like too much white realestate for a minimalist design. Design overall is good, but the choice of video cards makes me want to change the channel.

I completely agree. Every time I see that gap, I keep wondering why it is there. It is kind of a dry wasteland of non functionality. I guess you could stick some post it notes there
  • Reply 10 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

would have looked really slick if it were done in black instead

God NO! My Dell laptop and desktop at work are black. SO stinking ugly. The white look is a wonderful thing, and oddly, it gives Apple some wonderful free marketing- the white motif makes them visually distinctive from the competition.

White is the new black
  • Reply 11 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

A nice touch is that the keyboard has a slot on the back that enables you to slide it onto the bottom of the stand. Nice touch. Again it's in the details, once you see it in person.

That is a nice touch. I am sure that the machine is well thought out, I just don't think it is beautiful in the same way as the previous iMac.

When will these be at the local Apple stores? My GF and I should go take a look (she will undoubteldy kill the local Apple salesman for changing the design of the machine).
  • Reply 12 of 86
    i thought the casing is white aluminum on the front??? and plasticky on the back
  • Reply 13 of 86
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    It's that expanse of white plastic/aluminium under the screen that kills it for me.

It just doesn't look right. The screen doesn't look as though it belongs in that case.

There are golden proportions that look right, and the new iMac just looks wrong...

I kind of baulked when I saw the Cinema Displays, because I thought that they looked ugly when I first saw them. I fear that with this new iMac design Apple's lost the plot. There's no finesse or elegance. As I've said before, it's like a pizza box on a ring-pull.

That's this generation christened the "Ring-pull iMac".

What I do appreciate, from a product design standpoint, is that these things will be easy to manufacture - it was the neck assembly of the sunflower iMac that made it so costly to manufacture. I think this machine is a reaction to the manufacturing costs/problems that Apple encountered with products like the Cube and the Sunflower iMac.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    I don't really like the design personally, I think the massive front bezel is pretty ugly. As someone else suggested on the thread, I'll have to wait and see it in person, but I truly expected more from Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    It's a great design given the challenges the design team faced... had we not already been teased with the killer ergonomics of the old imac design it would seem more appealing but I think we've lost some elegance in the new design and personally I don't think it was the besttrade off. I'm thinking this design won't be around very long.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

I don't really like the design personally, I think the massive front bezel is pretty ugly. As someone else suggested on the thread, I'll have to wait and see it in person, but I truly expected more from Apple.

yea, has anyone been to an apple store today and has actually seen the machines and if they are there? i would go myself but the nearest apple store is about 45 mins away, and from the apple site pics i dunno if this new iMac is worth the trip yet.

i agree. it looks very strange with that large front piece beneath the screen. and wuts with the aluminum apple, why cant apple give us a light up white apple or a chrome apple, instead of a "painted on apple"

definitely not my next mac purchase.

WE WANT A COOL APPLE ON THE FRONT!!!

LETS PROTEST!
  • Reply 17 of 86
    I'll try to summarize my issues with the bezel:

The problem is that the bezel/case has a 4:3 aspect ratio and the monitor has a 16:10 aspect ratio. So for the bezel to contian the screen, there must be a bit of empty (and pointless) white space at the bottom so that the screen will fit. The visual end result is that the widescreen monitor looks smaller than it should because it is dwarfed by the bezel and you loose the widescreen feel and get a... television feeling. Thick bezels around an LCD screen make the screen seem smaller as witnessed by this example, and when you have a different aspect ratio between the screen and bezel,things really look bad because the screen seems too small for the machine as witnessed by this example.

The dimensions are just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. Maybe it looks different in person than over the web, but the machine looks like an eMac with a too small screen. I thnk Apple really screwed up, and I don't say that lightly.

In contrast, the previous iMac had a bezel that simply wrapped the screen and preserved the aspect ratio of the widescreen LCD. The screen seemed larger because there was just the screen and not much extraneous plastic around it.

• Reply 18 of 86
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I like it. 2 questions, where is the firewire 800 and what is that big hole in the back? 18 lbs is sweet. Maybe the hole will be for a handle attachment.

reg
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

I like it. 2 questions, where is the firewire 800 and what is that big hole in the back? 18 lbs is sweet. Maybe the hole will be for a handle attachment.

reg

no firewire 800. Probably not needed for its market.

The hole on the back is where the power cable/other cables go in (a nice touch).
  • Reply 20 of 86
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    Three things spoil it for me:

1. 4x DVD-r

2. Low end GFX card

3. Sockets down the side.

All three of these problems could have been fixed if the iMac kept a base unit

The base unit didn't have to be big or ugly - just enough to hold the DVD would have been enough, then at least we'd have 8x and some ports hidden round the back.