New iMac, does it satisfy us?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After all the comments on thinksecrets posts... and seeing the iMac is a little different... does it satisfy anyone?

I'm pretty happy with it personally... especially with the bottom end having a combo drive. 600mhz fsb... thats nice. ddr 400 ram... 5200 ultra (not plain 5200)... etc.

I think the enclosure is awesome. I also think this design has room to grow and room for price shrinkage.

Prices may be a little too high but I think they are great.

Any comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Sigh. I knew this would happen! dupe threads.

It satisfies me. Might pick up one, if it goes on sale for Christmas, and trade in my laptop. Anyone want a PBG4 12" revA?

Maybe you should a poll, for does it satisfy.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Apple continues to be a niche computer maker with this iMac. It's great for some people, I'm sure it will satisfy a large majority of Mac users. But will it satisfy others? A 2" thick computer permanently attached to an LCD isn't what most people want in a midrange desktop system.

Let's just hope they don't wait a year before updating it.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

Let's just hope they don't wait a year before updating it.

I would expect an update around the time Tiger is about to hit the market. Late spring, or something like that.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    The graphic-card could have been way better. After all it's just an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB. The big question for me is: will this graphic-card be exchangable/upgradeble by the user? But on the other hand AGP is a dead end road. Why didn't Apple use a PCI-X card-slot here??? Is it that much more expensive?

Otherwise I think this new iMac looks fantastic. Much nicer (more professional) than the sunflower-iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Quick

The graphic-card could have been way better. After all it's just an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB. The big question for me is: will this graphic-card be exchangable/upgradeble by the user? But on the other hand AGP is a dead end road. Why didn't Apple use a PCI-X card-slot here??? Is it that much more expensive?

Otherwise I think this new iMac looks fantastic. Much nicer (more professional) than the sunflower-iMac.

Not PCI-X...you mean PCI Express.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    No it doesnt satisfy, but Apple is into all in ones for the consumer. Their minds are not thinking different, its either stale all in ones and throw the thing out when something goes wrong or its massive 2 cpu aluminum beast when 1 cpu is all anyone needs but pro's. Same old story you dont like all in ones then its either Powermac and all its power or its off to PC land.

How can Apple have the gall to call this a gaming machine powerhouse with weak FX5200. see the graphics page for a big laugh. Very nice machine for anyone except gamers. Grandma's will love it,Grandpa's will love it, some girly guys will love it, and young men will be saying 64 mb FX5200 WTF?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Not PCI-X...you mean PCI Express.

Ooops... Sorry... Yes, I meant PCI-eXpress.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    $225 to upgrade to 1GB of RAM. Is that a good deal? Appears to be.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm really happy with the new form factor. Very simple and clean. I guessed the downward firing speakers in one of the mockup threads . I'm sure it won't satisfy everyone but it will satisfy me.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    igmanigman Posts: 9member
    My initial reaction is I like the design. I do wonder if having all the connections on the back of the monitor (essentially) will make it a pain to move...since it may be tethered by ethernet, usb,etc. cords.

Also, If they can put all that in a small footprint, would it not be easy to have a small thin CPU only configuration? Similar to Cube, but flat...like a closed iBook 14" or the pizza box that has been talked about forever...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by igman

My initial reaction is I like the design. I do wonder if having all the connections on the back of the monitor (essentially) will make it a pain to move...since it may be tethered by ethernet, usb,etc. cords.

having all the cords together would make it easier to move, not harder.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

having all the cords together would make it easier to move, not harder.

If anyone is considering getting one of these, you have to get the airport (all around best) and the bluetooth option (very cool). Even if you get a $49 wireless router and an after-market bluetooth keyboard. These options are no longer options for me, anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I think the graphics cards are apple's fault with the powermac...

With the lowend being 5200 ultra there wasn't a whole lot they could do with the iMac. I think the 5200 has played its course big time in macs. I would expect the 5200 to be in an eMac at this point. Not a powermac and iMac. They should have all 256 bit cards in the powermacs. Not a 9600xt and a 5200 ultra.

And whoever brought up the point about the powermac being the only option besides aio is definitely right. I actually never even looked at it that way.

And I also remember how much it PISSED ME OFF how my iMac's motherboard went out on the 13th month and apple wouldn't do anything about it. At that point the motherboard cost more than the machine! So why replace it? I had to throw away a perfectly good computer because of the motherboard. Its bullshit :-/.

I gotta agree its definitely time for apple to come up with an in between design. AIO... its for students, newb's, and non-clutter freaks.

I do have to say this though: A lot of people complain about the lack of a gaming machine, macs aren't gaming machines. If you want a gaming machine then go get an Xbox, ps2, or a pc. I think it will make you much happier. Then go pirate all the games you can for those platforms... take away from their gaming market.

Developers have mentioned that the pc market is getting so bad they are starting to think about moving to mac
  • Reply 14 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    BTW, just looking at the apple store.

I think its completely idiotic that apple doesn't at least have the option to upgrade the video ram like you can in the powerbooks. Thats pretty sad when their powerbook laptops can have more video ram than the iMacs.

*shrugs* I just don't understand apple lately. I say they quit making hardware and just sell freakin ipods... this is getting insane with all the hardware they produce right now. Only thing I'll stand behind is the Powermacs... even those are already fading.