Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Comments

• Reply 221 of 440
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Heidi123

am i seeing things correctly that the mouse and keyboard are wireless? that is going to be such a selling point in the retail market! people simply hate wires..

No, Apple just shows the bluetooth keyboard as a "your's can look like this to". The wireless solution will set you back a $100.
  • Reply 222 of 440
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

I'd say the mid-range iMac G5 pretty well cleans the floor with that thing, spec-wise. The Sony has 40 GB more HD space, and 256 more MB RAM, but "integrated" graphics and a combo drive? Plus, you'd have to suffer through Windows. And I'm sure that new Viao® Creation© Suite is Real Good.?

Don't forget the 15" screen
  • Reply 223 of 440
    Damn its ugly.

Why did they make the bottom edge so thick? surely they could have balanced it out better.
  • Reply 224 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Was the Fx5200 Ultra in the old iMac also at AGP 8X? The performance gains of this card in the new iMac as claimed by Apple are impressive.

I believe it was 4X on the G4 iMacs.
  • Reply 225 of 440
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Well, the complainers wasted no time in jumping on this article.

This is a fine machine for education and home users. It is also a good corporate desktop. Pricing is not bad, either, and the G5 will give very good performance with its higher-speed bus and better RAM.

Gamers? Gamers are a small and declining market. (edit: I mean non-console gamers. Console games are selling well.) Many computer users like casual gaming, but few current games are poorly designed for that. For example, I can't take a five-minute break at work and play Halo. Doom3? Pfui. Who could possibly care about yet another FPS?
  • Reply 226 of 440
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Consumers have spoken and said quite clearly that an inexpensive headless box is exactly what they want. This iMac3 is what's not a consumer product, it's a cheap comp married to an expensive LCD for those who are willing to throw out a perfectly good display in 2-4 years

No they haven't. This is your dream. Consumers haven't spoken about anything. The last best selling computer(original iMac) wasn't headless. I love they way some of you make stuff up to support your wishes.

Quote:

Why did they make the bottom edge so thick? surely they could have balanced it out better

Because the motherboard has to have a certain amount of clearance. Plus you have an internal Powersupply which is amazing. All this in 18.5 lbs for a 17". Color me impressed.
  • Reply 227 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by etai_s15

Damn its ugly.

Why did they make the bottom edge so thick? surely they could have balanced it out better.

Actually I?ve heard that the original concept was only one inch thick. However they had to use 2 poles with weights attached. They were connected on both sides of the iMac to achieve perfect balance. This design of course proved to be a hazard when an Apple employee last his eye. Hence the current version, the ugly thick one.
  • Reply 228 of 440
    Lovely design. Got a bit worried when I heard the guts would be put into the display, but it looks great. Thinking how thin a powerbook is i suppose there shouldn't really have been any doubts.

For those moaning about Doom 3 (which will be playable anyway) may I suggest buying a PS2, GC and Xbox. You could pick up all three for under $300.

Won't be getting one though as my 17"iMac2 still runs just fine with 768mb RAM.

iMac4? Well that's a different story.

EDIT: Fug it, with a 250 HD and 2Gig of RAM gimme one now.
  • Reply 229 of 440
    Come on people, try and use your brains a little bit here. We are talking about a thin all-in-one. NO ONE ANYWHERE HAS EVER CONSIDERED AN ALL-IN-ONE AS THE ULTIMATE GAMING COMPUTER. So, this computer should be compaired to other all-in-ones, not jumbojet sized Dells. Interestingly enough, when compaired to a Dell, the price is almost the same.

To add to the Sony comparison (where the Apple blew the Sony away in price and performance) I bring us to the Gateway AIO's.

Lets see for 1100 from Gateway you can get:

2.6 CELERON (WOO FEEL THE GAMING SPEED OF THE PC WORLD)

256 Megs of 333MHz DDR SDRAM (NOT 400MHz)

40 Gig HD 5400 Not Serial ATA)

15 inch LCD (Not 17 Wide)

CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive (Not DVD Burning)

No 5.1 sound

No Firewire

Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 with 64MB shared memory buffer (NO DEDICATED GRAPHICS MEMORY)

No VGA out

THE THING WEIGHS 20 LB AND IS UGLY AS HELL

Is there even a comparison?

I will agree that perhaps Apple is making a mistake by not pushing a cheap non-AIO box, but I will argue that this is perhaps the best AIO on the market. Its cheap, its fast, and it does so much more than other AOI's.
  • Reply 230 of 440
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

My "wife's" old eMac* is very noisy, even noiser than other eMacs that came out later. Since her eMac shares home office space with my own Mac, replacing it for Christmas would be a bit of a gift to myself as well.

*The emac I mentioned before, now remembering it was only two years ago that I paid nearly the same $1300 that buys new G5 iMac for it. $1300 for a 700 MHz G4/40GB/15" CRT then, vs. a 1.6 GHz G5/80GB/17" widescreen LCD now!

Much nicer looking and less than half the weight isn't a bad bonus either.

I just ordered one (Christmas in advance) : I expect that I did not make a mistake (I didn't checked the noise : if it's noisy my wife will kill me )
  • Reply 231 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

What percentage of the entire computer buying public are gamers? I would guess a very small percentage buy a computer because it can run the latest game. People buy computers to download pictures from their digital camera so that they can email those digital photographs to grandma and grandpa who will then print them out and hang them on the 'frige. The latest greatest video card is not required for any of these tasks. Anyways, buy an xbox, playstation, or a gamecube if you want to play games.

I agree, and I also disagree with people saying the card will totally suck for games, my 1ghz Imac plays wolfenstein fine with all details at max.. sure, I dont get 100fps, but all this video card bs is for fps bragging rights and not much more. even most pc users dont really care about that, its only the hardcore gamers(you know the ones, new vid card, motherboard,ect every few months or less... the machine is fine(just needs more ram)
  • Reply 232 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

This looks great, it is everything that I have wanted to see, G5, faster bus, and one proc with monitor for a ood price.

My only question, Of all of this can be put into a small encloseure, why did we not see a pwr book eith the same innards, knock out the pwr supply put a laptop backlight on the display and toss in a KB+trackpad and vwala! where is it?

Battery life?
  • Reply 233 of 440
    Also to note:

Am I the only one that thinks that Apple just has a load of the Nvidia 64 meg cards sitting around that they want to get rid of?

Maybe in a month or two they will upgrade the GPU. They must upgrade something as the Christmas season starts to roll around the corner.

I also have the same feelings about the processor. They will deplete the little stock of 1.6's they have and introduce higher speed iMac's as the processors become available. If we would stop buying powermacs, they would go ahead and put the faster processors in this box.

In most ways, it seems Apple is giving us as much as they can. Some things, like processors, can't be faster till Apple can get more of them.
  • Reply 234 of 440
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    I don't think it has the revolutionary appeal of the original iMac, which *totally stood out* due to it's strange, bubbly shape and bright colour.

It seems to be a very sleek design, but I'm not sure if the world at large will see and take notice like they took notice of the original iMac.

I can complain about specs vs. price all I want; to my mind 512MB RAM would have been a nice touch, hard drive is less of a concern to me. Either a better or an upgradeable graphics card would have been nice, but not a particularly realistic wish given apple's history. I really would like to see them come up with some sort of revolutionarily powerful integrated graphics solution, but who knows what we'll be seeing.

Here's hoping that lots of people with more money than I have want to buy one- I need apple to survive until I'm rich
  • Reply 235 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I just ordered one (Christmas in advance) : I expect that I did not make a mistake (I didn't checked the noise : if it's noisy my wife will kill me )

No worries, I've been reading some of the Forum Français de Apple. Apparently attendees from the Expo have reported that the iMac is extremely quite. However, they are on a convention floor with hundreds of bystanders waiting for their go at the new toy.
  • Reply 236 of 440
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

But to be fair you need to see what else the iMac compete's against and that includes the "overpriced" ones as well. You can't just slam Apple based on the fact that you can get cheap PCs.

I just popped over to HP's site and configured a a650y machine very similar to the Dell in my earlier post and it comes to $1358 with rebates.

Spec for spec these new iMacs are competitive with quality PCs. The price is certainly not an issue.

I just love the "similarly configured" machine arguments. yeah, great, they're evenly priced at a similar configuration. Shouldn't someone point out that while EVERY OTHER PC manufacturer that you're comparing it to allows you to really change the configuration. I went to Dell's site to configure the 4600, and a couple things I noticed:

- Its like $75 less to get the RAM from 256 to 1GB. 4 DIMM slots total.

- Its $60 less to get the HDrive to 250GB, plus there's room for a second drive.

- I can get a floppy drive (floppies rule!)

- Choice of CD/DVD drives, including getting two separate drives

- Choice of displays, from LCD to CRT, at a wide range of sizes, quality, price

- choice of video card (hey, and you can change it later!)

- choice of sound card (hey, and you can change it later!)

- choice of mouse and keyboard that fits you, not what they force you to have (what, you want two buttons, go buy one yourself, you losers!)

Apple let's you change the memory and harddrive, and allows you to add Bluetooth (don't forget that's required if you want a wireless keyboard/mouse) and airport. Wow, the customization options!

[Oh, and the dell will get to you within a week. Who knows when Apple will ship the first iMac, let alone yours.]

Yeah, so if you spec up the dell to meet the iMac's specs, they cost the same, but the problem is, you HAVE to take the iMacs specs. If I have no desire for DVD writing, I can forgo the drive (or, if I want a DVD-R drive, but hate their slowness for CD reading, I can get two drives!). You have a myriad of options with the PC side of things. With Apple, you take what they give you.
  • Reply 237 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Speaking of gamers, you all are right. There's no market for games on computers. No one buys computers to play games, and no one buys games. In fact, that's why when you go to Best Buy or CompUSA, you're lucky if you see a couple of shelves for games. [Yes, and for you mentally challenged, I was being sarcastic. The problem you all don't understand is that while not everyone plays games, the gamer market is one Apple should be going after, as they're the geeks who'll spend $3000 on a new computer, or $500 on a new graphics card. Why shouldn't apple want to go after that market? And shouldn't people ask "Why aren't they?"]

They'll spend $3000 on a new computer and $500 on a new graphics card? And Apple's not going after them?? Wait a second, it's coming to me. What is that thing? That big aluminum box? Oh, I can't remember...

That's it! The Power Mac G5!

Listen, if this is the kind of user you are, you're looking at the wrong computer if you're looking at the iMac. Most people want to play games on consoles. If you're willing to shell out $3000 or more just to build a computer to play games, then get a Power Mac G5. Personally, I've never understood why you would spend all this money assembling a gaming computer rather than just buying an X Box for a couple hundred bucks.
  • Reply 238 of 440
    Once again your compairing a Jumbo Jet to a 2 in thick computer AIO. COMPAIRE AIO's, or complain that Apple doesn't have a cheap headless box on the market, but compairing headless boxes to AIO's is lame. Apples and oranges people.
  • Reply 239 of 440
    Now i'm gonna be the asshole and say the new imac looks like doggy poo .The thing looks like a supersized iPod . I like the current iMac G4 much more and thank god i got one in time .
  • Reply 240 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by jnrjr79

They'll spend $3000 on a new computer and $500 on a new graphics card? And Apple's not going after them?? Wait a second, it's coming to me. What is that thing? That big aluminum box? Oh, I can't remember...

That's it! The Power Mac G5!

Listen, if this is the kind of user you are, you're looking at the wrong computer if you're looking at the iMac. Most people want to play games on consoles. If you're willing to shell out $3000 or more just to build a computer to play games, then get a Power Mac G5. Personally, I've never understood why you would spend all this money assembling a gaming computer rather than just buying an X Box for a couple hundred bucks.

or go buy a fcuking alienware laptop!

trix may be for kids, but macs arent! but then again, i shouldnt talk, when i get my G5 Powerbook (ahhh that wonderful day) i hope theres the Sims 2 for mac... hey, just cuz a guy works with the stock market doesnt mean he cant play with the sims! but for you young gamers- go buy an xbox like he said!!!