Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Comments

• Reply 301 of 440
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    And just yesterday people were having a hissy fit because of the abundance of iMac sighting pranks. I told you that would be more fun than seeing the whining after the announcement.

Still just as entertaining...
  • Reply 302 of 440
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    What they SHOULD have done is left the power supply out and they probably could have eliminated all the white empty eMac looking space on the bottom front. I mean does anyone (average consumer) even care if there is a power brick. Most people buy it, open it, plug it in once and it's there for a long time. Who cares about the power brick?!?!
  • Reply 304 of 440
    Whine all you want.

I love the new iMac. If I needed a new computer, I'd be buying it (my PowerBook is only 17 months old).

But... if I had a 36 to 48 month old computer, I'd replace it with the iMac G5.

I really like it. iMac G3... bubble. iMac G4... lamp. iMac G5... giant tablet

Really looks iPod-ish or like a slice of eMac.

Good job! I want one.
  • Reply 305 of 440
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bodhi

What they SHOULD have done is left the power supply out and they probably could have eliminated all the white empty eMac looking space on the bottom front.

The eMac was outselling the iMac 3:1 at last count. Maybe the "substantial" look is comforting?

Quote:

I mean does anyone (average consumer) even care if there is a power brick. Most people buy it, open it, plug it in once and it's there for a long time. Who cares about the power brick?!?!

Given that Apple's boasting about its relatively light weight, I think they're positioning this partly as an answer to desknotes and schleptops, in which case it's a nice touch to not have to schlep the brick around as well. Not a big deal either way.
  • Reply 306 of 440
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Aurora, which Alienware box are you going to buy? Here's a link to Alienware's current line up. Let me know.

I got a Aurora with a AMD64 3500+running at 2.2.memory controler runs at 2.2 Ouch! with a gig of dual channel DDR and a 6800gt with alien ice,alien video enhancer etc.... Saucer Silver. I had nothing but Macs for years and the only reason i ever upgraded was for gaming. Guess i finally became a switcher sort of.\
  • Reply 307 of 440
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    For all you headless iMac people.

Face it. You BLEW it. You ****ed up. There are thousands different ways to say how YOU killed the Mac Cube. And because of the failure of the Cube you will Never, NEVER, N E V E R see a headless Mac again. Your only choices will be a headed low end Mac (currently an iMac) or the high end (PowerMac).

Once again. You BLEW it. Get over it. Game over. No headless Macs every again. Quite blaming Steve for YOUR failure to buy enough Cubes.
  • Reply 308 of 440
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    wanna know why the emac was outselling the imac. look at the old processor speeds of both machines (old imac and current emac) and then look at price.
  • Reply 309 of 440
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It was too expensive. Most likely because it was too small and over-designed. But I digress!

Something I thought of. That's a nice screen! Right? Most of the cost. So how about sticking a TV tuner in there? POW! Apple beats Microsoft to the punch in the living room.
  • Reply 310 of 440
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Banana Nut Bread

...and its CPU/FSB is a crippled version of a PowerMac.

This is not a proper use of the word "crippled". The lack of video spanning in the new iMac -- that's a form of crippling. The capability for spanning is sitting right there inside the video hardware already present within the machine, for no extra cost, yet the capability has been deliberately disabled. (Annoying, but it won't stop me from buying one of these new iMacs.)

The slower CPU and bus speed of these iMacs vs. the Power Macs, however, are almost certainly genuine price/performance/engineering trade-offs -- not artificially imposed constraints worthy of being described as "crippling" the computer.
  • Reply 311 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Consoles are cheap, they run a lot of games, and they don't run Windows.

Colecovision also runs a lot of games, and doesn't run Windows.

Quote:

"Middle of the road" at what price point? If I get off work and drive over to Best Buy and buy an off-the-shelf machine, how much will I pay to get a card with 128MB RAM and a PC powerful enough to drive it? How much for a machine that comes with that card? Are these mainstream consumer prices?

Dell sells a PC for $899 (including monitor) that comes standard with a 128 MB ATI video card. Clearly that is a middle-of-the-road consumer machine and a middle-of-the-road consumer price. As far as what Best Buy charges, you'll have to drive over and find out for yourself.

Quote:

but your game had better be playable on mainstream hardware or you'll lose your shirt.

No game developer is going to lose his shirt (or any sleep) over developing for the Mac. The long-term consequence of a successful iMac with 64 MB video will be to further marginalize the Mac as a gaming platform. That's a negative for all Mac users who'd like to game, whether they buy an iMac or not, and is reason to hope for a 128 MB video card option in the future.

Quote:

but that's mostly just eye candy anyway: I can play the game, and it looks good.

People buy games specifically FOR the eye-candy, among other things. Otherwise we'd still be reading, "You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building..."

Quote:

As far as gaming performance goes, all we have to go by is a singularly useless graph on Apple's site that doesn't have any concrete numbers on it. That will change as they ship in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed) and reviewers like Mike Breeden at Accelerate Your Mac! (or his readers, who are quite happy to send him detailed benchmarks) start getting ahold of them. Then maybe we'll have something to talk about. Until then, this is all handwaving.

Yeah, since nobody has ever seen one of these new GeForce 5200's we'll have to wait for the experts to tell us how it performs.
  • Reply 312 of 440
    glenglen Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Ah, thanks glen. And patience my friend, time will come. There is no chance, by the way, to enjoy the new iMacs in your school/university?

Well PB, they provide support for them in halls of residence, and there is a suite of Macs in the Media Studies dept (used for film editing etc) but I'm afraid it's just beige beige beige everywhere else, and since I'm studying law, there's little chance I'll get my hands on one. I might try and persuade them to invest in some new iMacs (fat chance!) - the Edu model would be perfect for the computer labs - wish me luck!

Of course, when I'm a filthy-rich city Lawyer I'll be able to afford as many iMacs as I want! I think I'll have one in each room...

P.S. Thanks for the interest PB!
  • Reply 313 of 440
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    For those interested in how the 5200 Ultra stacks up, there's a list at http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...229/index.html. It has a 50% faster core speed than the regular 5200 and a more than 50% increase in VRAM speed, so it would probably be better branded as a 5400. (There are, of course, other differences between GPU cores than number of pipes and pixels per pipe per clock (the rightmost column)).
  • Reply 314 of 440
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by glen

I might try and persuade them to invest in some new iMacs (fat chance!) - the Edu model would be perfect for the computer labs - wish me luck!

Of course, when I'm a filthy-rich city Lawyer I'll be able to afford as many iMacs as I want! I think I'll have one in each room...

Well, good luck then! I think that despite all moaning and grumbling in this forum, the new iMacs are great machines and mark the beginning of a new era in "personal computing for everyone".
  • Reply 315 of 440
    After seeing the internal pics of the new iMac, I can see two substantial fans (at least they look like fans). That in mind, if Apple did decide to throw it's hands up in the air and say, "Fine! We'll give you a GAMING iMac!" and have them throw in an option for the latest and greatest 256MB vidcard (I don't even know if one exists for a Mac), is there reason to believe that the cooling system could not handle the job considering that the fans don't appear to be close to the CPU though we all know they must play a significant part in cooling?

If they did offer that option and you could get your dream vidcard and the system's cooling abilities could handle it effectively, what would you complain about next? Is there something ELSE wrong aside from the vidcard blunder?
  • Reply 316 of 440
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    OK, I know some people hate these types of comparisons, but I did it for my own edification, and decided it was worth sharing.

I hopped over to the Dell site, and configured somehting to roughly match the low end iMac. I am sure you could build one cheaper through another vendor, or pick a different starting model, etc, but the fact is, this is the first one I chose, and it is in the same general range as the iMac, for the same money. Not "twice the machine at half Apple's price", or any such nonsense.

Dell Dimension 4600c

P4 2.4 G (533 bus)

256 RAM

80 GB HDD

8x CD/DVD burner

17" flat panel display

64 MB Nvidia GeForce4 Mx

wireless keyboard and mouse

$1329

We could argue endlessly about if the G5 is as fast, or if the Dell would cost more because I did not add extra video editing software etc, or if we could have upgraded the card (while we clearly cannot on the iMac), but I think my main point is simply that the new iMac, performance-per-dollar--wise, is certainly in the same ballpark as a "standard" PC.

Fish
  • Reply 317 of 440
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    There are 3 fans. Go here for an interesting article on how the iMac is "cooled":

http://news.com.com/New+iMac+tries+t...3-5331745.html

6 years ago there was the first iMac at $1499. We've come a long way!
  • Reply 318 of 440
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

There are 3 fans. Go here for an interesting article on how the iMac is "cooled":

http://news.com.com/New+iMac+tries+t...3-5331745.html

6 years ago there was the first iMac at $1499. We've come a long way!

The first iMac was introduced at $1299. I still have mine .
  • Reply 319 of 440
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sabon

For all you headless iMac people.

Face it. You BLEW it. You ****ed up. There are thousands different ways to say how YOU killed the Mac Cube. And because of the failure of the Cube you will Never, NEVER, N E V E R see a headless Mac again. Your only choices will be a headed low end Mac (currently an iMac) or the high end (PowerMac).

Once again. You BLEW it. Get over it. Game over. No headless Macs every again. Quite blaming Steve for YOUR failure to buy enough Cubes.

The Cube was more of a niche product than the iMac is now. Just because it didn't have a monitor attached to it means it's the headless Mac we're all asking for? If you dig a little deeper and look at the price and specs, you'll see why it flopped. It wasn't because of a lack of demand for a headless Mac.
  • Reply 320 of 440
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fishdoc

OK, I know some people hate these types of comparisons...

They're usually good right after Apple updates a product, but come 3-6 months (or longer) the PC world has moved on to faster and cheaper things while the Mac hasn't had it's specs or price touched.