Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Comments

• Reply 321 of 440
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

The Cube was more of a niche product than the iMac is now. Just because it didn't have a monitor attached to it means it's the headless Mac we're all asking for? If you dig a little deeper and look at the price and specs, you'll see why it flopped. It wasn't because of a lack of demand for a headless Mac.

So you're saying that if Apple were to sell a headless Mac it would be a Niche product today. Because if Apple (which they are 99.99999% unlikey to do) were to sell a headless Mac it would be today's equivalent of the Cube. It would most likely have lower specs than the iMac and less upgradable.
  • Reply 322 of 440
    Man, if only the superdrive was 8x's.... I would have totally just jumped for it
  • Reply 323 of 440
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sabon

So you're saying that if Apple were to sell a headless Mac it would be a Niche product today. Because if Apple (which they are 99.99999% unlikey to do) were to sell a headless Mac it would be today's equivalent of the Cube. It would most likely have lower specs than the iMac and less upgradable.

My troll-o-meter gave a good reading off this one.

- reply to another post, only ignore what it says and reply to an imaginary post instead

- make big, declarative statements without any attempt to reason or explain - lots of virtual handwaving

- pick a favorable historical comparison, as controversial as possible, do not address the differences between situations

- pick a number - any number - and use it in the tale you are weaving. Later the number can be explained as an estimate, random or totally figurative if anyone calls you on it.

- turn ordinary logic upside down (a microtower with bigger and standardized parts should turn out inherently more powerful and (especially) upgradable than a computer stuffed in a *tight* AIO enclosure)

- do not bother to spellcheck

All this in so little space. Almost an art form.
  • Reply 324 of 440
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    just downloaded the official media high-res image off apple.com/pr

anyone notice the image's filename is "imac_hero"? was "hero" it's codename?
  • Reply 325 of 440
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    What I'm wondering is what the speakers will sound like, they are on the bottom of the machine, pointed at the desktop, according to CNET.....

• Reply 326 of 440
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

What I'm wondering is what the speakers will sound like, they are on the bottom of the machine, pointed at the desktop, according to CNET.....

Craptacular as iMac speakers have always been (sans iSub)? No one really uses them for serious music listening I hope.

Funny, the Philnote showed a graphic with soundwaves emanating from the bottom, with the music bouncing up to the user's face level but the shot right after that was with the keyboard in the same place that the sound is bouncing off of. I imagined a chaotic cloud of those blue soundwave lines bouncing all around in a cacophony as the keyboard "wrecks" the bounce.
  • Reply 327 of 440
    Not so bad.

It is pretty elegant. It is just too bad that the pictures on Apple's web site look ten times worse than those taken by an apparent point-and-clicker at the Expo. Either this random guy is the next Ansel Adams or somebody at Apple needs to get a "stern talking to". I am opposed to the AIO concept in theory, and I think that Apple could do much better if they released another line, but I do think that this is the best of all possible worlds given the imposed constraints.

I don't see how this iteration really solves the problems of the previous. I see this attracting two types of buyers: those who would have bought the iMac2 anyway, and those who think it looks like their iPod. Maybe iPod switchers will be enough to make this thing into a success. Deep down I think this is a very conservative move: it will make money and that will be used to propel Apple's new baby-- digital music. Remember, this is exactly what Steve Jobs said he would if he were in charge of Apple many years ago.
  • Reply 328 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

A "hero" pose (Virasana) is a type of pose in Yoga. In product photography, when you position a product in it's ideal state (particularly if it's adjustable) it's called the "hero" position or a hero shot.

http://www.movingintostillness.com/book/t-ahero.html

p.s. That's pure bullshit based on deductive reasoning but it's probably right
  • Reply 329 of 440
    so now what are they going to make the "computer" icon be in mac os x tiger? a white rectangle with a blue inner rectangle? then again, that's always been a beef with me... would it kill them to have in tiger recognize from appel system profiler what computer you're using and auto-magically make the "computer" icon match, you know, your COMPUTER? crazy, i know...
  • Reply 330 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

A "hero" pose (Virasana) is a type of pose in Yoga. In product photography, when you position a product in it's ideal state (particularly if it's adjustable) it's called the "hero" position or a hero shot.

ah, thanks for clearing that up. i guess i still had visions of jet li kicking the chinese empire's ass in my head.
  • Reply 331 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

ah, thanks for clearing that up. i guess i still had visions of jet li kicking the chinese empire's ass in my head.

I added "p.s. That's pure bullshit based on deductive reasoning but it's probably right" too late.

Seriously, I think that what it refers to. Come on, it's California...how could it not be referring to Yoga?
  • Reply 332 of 440
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

so now what are they going to make the "computer" icon be in mac os x tiger? a white rectangle with a blue inner rectangle? then again, that's always been a beef with me... would it kill them to have in tiger recognize from appel system profiler what computer you're using and auto-magically make the "computer" icon match, you know, your COMPUTER? crazy, i know...

That is an awesome idea. I never even thought of it.

iDunno
  • Reply 333 of 440
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I'll add more comments later but a few observations

1. the bottom is much too large to make the front of the computer seem cute/elegant/cool. it kind of just looks "odd" and it makes the screen secondary to the 4:3 white box and makes the screen look smaller. I realize that it is difficult to reduce size of the motherboard but I'm surprised this was a design that was approved. For the most part it is very very cool, but the front needs more detail, something in that bottom third of the face. I think it being all solid white hurts the appearance in that aspect.

2. this machine definitely looks made for colors. If a blue one were available I think I'd be all over it. Two tone color. Match the iPod mini colors. White just does not appeal to many people. Original iMacs had color options and that was one of the biggest selling points. I think it's a shame that Apple doesn't offer different colors anymore.

3. When paying for a desktop and designing one, desktop parts should be used. the 4X vertical superdrive is a shame. and it shows that this design will be limiting in the future in several ways. Form over function.

4. the graphics card is perfect for the 1299 model, and possibly the 1499 model. The 20 inch model should at least have a jump to 128MB of VRAM with its higher resolution and steeper price. Also, Apple really could resolve a lot of complaints by simply offering a BTO graphics card option. I don't see why they don't do this. One, it'd satisfy a lot of complainers. 2. It would make people order direct from Apple. Three. They would probably make good money off of it.

I'm impressed to say the least. But a couple things are holding it back from being a knock out. They are closer than ever though.
  • Reply 334 of 440
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

People who write posts like this must be talented designers. I'd be hard pressed to dream up something better. A tiny footprint, all-in-one computer & display. One cord to plug in the wall. Done.

Your joking right... This is Apple were talking about. I mean there products in the past would just blow you away before you even turned them on. I just can't belive that this with all their talent this is it. I just don't get the premiss that "Oh wow it is in a 2 inch pizza box. Where is that cool apple style. I just am not going to drool because it is new and it's got a G5.

I do however hope it sell's well and is well received by the mass and not just not mac faithfull. Because I guess when it is all said and done I rather use the new iMac than a Winblows box.

DGNR8
  • Reply 335 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Craptacular as iMac speakers have always been (sans iSub)? No one really uses them for serious music listening I hope.

i was thinking the new imac would make a pretty nice set-up with some white jbl creature speakers. $67 refurb at megamacs.com, in case you're lookin'... i got mine refurb last year for the same price, best deal EVER.
  • Reply 336 of 440
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Are you guys serious? All the damn bellyaching?

An iMac that takes up no more space then a well designed flat screen!?

It's fricking great. It's a perfect consumer/student machine.

and it comes with wireless keyboard and mouse.

If you want a game machine get a G5 PowerMac or a playstation...

I think the disc burner speed compromise is perfectly acceptable.

A similarly equipped dell would take up 3 times the desk space... and be but ugly on top of it.
  • Reply 337 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

and it comes with wireless keyboard and mouse.

Doesn't. Just saying...you always need to be wary of Apple. They hate "sold separately" and "not included" types of blurbs sullying their clean layouts...

Yes the VR and promo shots show wireless mice but it definitely ships with wired KB and mouse. The tech specs indicate 2 USB 1 ports on the keyboard. Practically the only thing that suggests it comes with a wired KB and mouse. They really hide it fairly well except for these pics.

• Reply 338 of 440
    What is particularly odd is that the Apple Wireless Mouse and Keyboard are nowhere to be seen when going through the normal purchasing process, not even on subsequent "Apple Extras" section.....what's the deal? I thought adding the Bluetooth module might toggle them but it doesn't. Strange.
  • Reply 339 of 440
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

'hero' is design-speak for that sort of low three-quarter view of a product. Like the hero in comic books or fifties films.
  • Reply 340 of 440
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

Your joking right... This is Apple were talking about. I mean there products in the past would just blow you away before you even turned them on. I just can't belive that this with all their talent this is it. I just don't get the premiss that "Oh wow it is in a 2 inch pizza box. Where is that cool apple style. I just am not going to drool because it is new and it's got a G5.

You really are talking crap.