Apple unveils the new iMac G5

Comments

• Reply 361 of 440
    Oooh! and another thing, Apple will keep all pro kit with the metal finish and all domestic gear white or whatever colour/scheme comes next. they must keep the two arenas distinctive
  • Reply 362 of 440
    glenglen Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by guslg

Here's a thought: Apple probably contracted to buy a certain number of fx5200 chips from nvidia for the gen2 iMac. They didn't use them all. So they throw them into the gen3. In 3 to 6 months they release a tweaked version with improved graphics.

Just my ruminations

I agree. If anyone can bare to be patient, once the glut of left-over fx5200 chips run out Apple will have to replace them and it should be with something better. They might even add a 2ghz 20" model to the line at the same time.

If I had the money, I would sit back and let Christmas pass before I thought about buying one. If you fork out for one now, you'll only be disappointed in 4 months time when they launch a better, cheaper model!
  • Reply 363 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

And the point is that consumers will cheerfully trade expandability away: Portables have become primary computers, meaning that consumers have no need for (internal) expandability at all, regardless of whether they tote the portable around.

You mean some consumers are willing to trade in expandablity for portability? Duh.

The iMac does NOT offer the same sort of portability as laptops so that argument is worthless. Can I take it out back and surf from my deck? Hmm let's see, nope. Can I take it to the beach and play w/ iPhoto while I tan? Hmm, again nope. Oh wait I DO have a 100' extension cord so I guess I could take it to the deck.

The only thing the iMac2 and now 3 offer over non-AIO desktops is space savings, something most (97%) consumers apparently aren't interested in. Yes I realize you dislike that number, however you have yet to come up w/ any figures to back any claims to the contrary. So to be nice I could start saying 95% which is still just a touch over half wouldn't you say? The iMac is a very nice machine for it's niche, however that niche doesn't include the majority of consumers interested in a DESKTOP solution.
  • Reply 364 of 440
    Yup, I've got a big desk. Seeing as I can't afford an iMac anyway, I think Ill just wait until Apple throws a G5 in the eMac. That'll keep me happy. I actually like the look of the eMac, especially seeing as it's the natural progression of the original iMac.
  • Reply 365 of 440
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

P.S. Right about the hole in the door on the original iMac. I got it wrong. The new iMac however, seems to have that hole situated so cables can be put through it other then just the power cord.

I thought it looked tacky that they didn't take the time to thread the USB cables through the holes in the iMac stands at Expo. Perhaps they wanted to be able to easily disconnect and move the keyboards. I have one of the new Cinema Displays and I route all wires through that hole so they don't show from the front.
  • Reply 366 of 440
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazaran

You mean some consumers are willing to trade in expandablity for portability? Duh.

The iMac does NOT offer the same sort of portability as laptops so that argument is worthless. Can I take it out back and surf from my deck? Hmm let's see, nope. Can I take it to the beach and play w/ iPhoto while I tan? Hmm, again nope. Oh wait I DO have a 100' extension cord so I guess I could take it to the deck.

The only thing the iMac2 and now 3 offer over non-AIO desktops is space savings, something most (97%) consumers apparently aren't interested in. Yes I realize you dislike that number, however you have yet to come up w/ any figures to back any claims to the contrary. So to be nice I could start saying 95% which is still just a touch over half wouldn't you say? The iMac is a very nice machine for it's niche, however that niche doesn't include the majority of consumers interested in a DESKTOP solution.

I have to agree, desk foot print isnt on my list of things when i buy a machine but apple seems to be wrapped up in it. And this notion that no wants to upgrade may have come from Apple surveying its own customer base who have not been able to upgrade any consumer machine for years and years. Fact is there are many reasons for 3% of new sales and upgrade path has to figure in there somewhere for a lot of customers. it has for me.

On another note putting a power supply,monitor,cpu,gpu and everything else in such a tight package makes me wonder what that heat will do to those componets over a little time. Sure it looks sweet but things are only going to get hotter. this is a 180 degree turn from Powermac that went to extremes to remove heat.
  • Reply 367 of 440
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    The only upgrading I ever do to a computer is to the memory and the hard drive. Since Macs now come with all the in/out you could possibly need, there's no need for any PCI card. Since I'm not a gamer, there's no need for me to upgrade the GPU. I think the desire of everyone to upgrade is misstated. I also believe it has little to do with the Mac's percentage of market share.

(There are exceptions. A few people need to upgrade.)
  • Reply 368 of 440
    Quote:

- It's a first run - first revision. I usually like to wait until the second revision so Apple can address all the issues in the beta release (ie: Revision A) and upgrade the weaker specs that may be noted in coming reviews (unless of course, it's reviewed by a Mac site or Mac magazine).

I will be holding off for this very reason. Also gives me time to sell off my Shuttle & TFT and get some cash.

Of course I may even wait for Apple to maybe shrink stuff some more so that the ugly bottom bezel dissapears. 23" anyone? Maybe they could do something with this TFT (of course cost through the roof) but then they can give it nice edges...

Can't wait for Rev B/C.
  • Reply 369 of 440
    One question. When do they usually introduce the next revision? 1/2 year?

Personally I like the iMac... well of course the big empty space under the display is kinda annoying and I need time to get used to it, but it's alright. I might wait for some reviews or until the next revision. But I'm definitely going to get one. I love AIO Macs
  • Reply 370 of 440
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Unless some bad news comes out about these new iMacs over the next couple of months, I'll almost certainly be buying one in November as a Christmas present for my "wife", to replace her two year-old eMac.

While it would be nice to wait for Rev B improvements and upgrades, my wife certainly doesn't give a damn about the video card in the thing or the speed of optical drive, and for her uses even her current 700 MHz G4 is powerful enough, so any Rev B speed bump will hardly matter either. The low-end model with an added stick of third-party RAM will be far more than adequate for her needs.

What I know she'll appreciate, as will I, is how much quieter the new iMac should be. Even compared to other eMacs her eMac seems particularly loud -- and that's saying something.

I'm also sure she'll love the 17" LCD as a big improvement over the (effectively) 16" eMac CRT, the style of the new iMac, the smaller footprint, and the fact that it's 18 lbs. and not 50 lbs. if she happens to feel like moving it around.

I'll probably groan a bit when, maybe 6-9 months from now, the Rev B G5 iMacs come out, but I rather doubt my wife will give a damn, other than finding my spec envy over the upgrade to her computer amusing.
  • Reply 371 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by trajik78

I leave you with 2 questions:

How many kids use computers? How many kids like videogames?

Gaming on the Mac: I think we all need to stop for a moment and watch the RvB video right now.

Nuff said. Get a PC or Console if you're a serious gamer. Duh.
  • Reply 372 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by glen

Phill looked shit scared most of the time - poor thing. I read someone actually shouted out 'we want Steve' at one point but I couldn't hear it. As for the video at the end - definitely directed at the iPodders. The soundtrack to the video was 'Let's get it started' by the Black-eyed Peas ala iPod advert and there were constant references to it being similar to the iPod in form and function (ease of use etc). It also stressed the suitability of the thing for iLife - using little shots of happy people up-loading photos into iPhoto and... you get the picture. Although It did look as though the people were filmed without the iMac actually being there! Which isn't surprising really - can't trust these actors you know!

All in all, I think it was a success - in that it will attract the 20-30 year old iPod users and sell like hot cakes! I know I wan't one - just a shame I can't afford one (bloody student debts!)

That song is *actually* called "Let's Get Retarded".... Ohh boy!
  • Reply 373 of 440
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by glen

I agree. If anyone can bare to be patient, once the glut of left-over fx5200 chips run out Apple will have to replace them and it should be with something better. They might even add a 2ghz 20" model to the line at the same time.

If I had the money, I would sit back and let Christmas pass before I thought about buying one. If you fork out for one now, you'll only be disappointed in 4 months time when they launch a better, cheaper model!

This is a nice little conspiracy theory, but I honestly don't think it represents reality. The FX5200 is just about the perfect GPU for the iMac. It will offer acceptable performance when running Tiger and won't cause overheating problems (a subject conveniently overlooked by the spec whores!).

A don't expect new iMacs until next May or June. 9 or 10 months sounds about right. 4 is merely wishful thinking. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same GPU and the CPUs bumped to 1.8 & 2.0; along with any fixes Apple needs to make this new design work more quietly. [ps... the lower bevel is here to stay; unless you think Apple will change to a power brick, which isn't likely.]

If you think you'd like a new iMac, get one. Waiting for a new version could be a long, and tedious, endeavor; with little payoff (unless it turns out that there is some kind of glaring technical problem with this version!).
  • Reply 374 of 440
    I am going to graduate now and my brother promised me a new Powerbook with iPod. What a graduation maaaaaaaaaaaaan!
  • Reply 375 of 440
    I think you're going to have to wait a LOONGG time for a refresh. Try September of next year... In typical Apple fashion, they announce something and have problems getting it to the masses in a reasonable amount of time. Apparently dealers are being told that they'll be in very limited supply "until late-November, early-December."

So this means that Apple gives itself TWO months for stockpiling chips, and all of September, all of October, and most of November to get things down with manufacturing. Talk about destroying hype... When will we get the inevitable press release stating, "we were overwhelmed with demand, we had no idea this product would generate this amount of orders."

I pity people wanting the 20" model. Here the article I'm referring to:

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/08/31.4.shtml

Apple Expo - Initial iMac Availability To Be Limited, Sources Say

by Brad Gibson, 5:15 AM CDT, August 31st, 2004

PARIS, FRANCE - Apple dealers are being told that flat-panel iMac G5s will be in very limited supply until late-November, early-December. Apple introduced the new iMac today to cheering crowds during the Apple Expo keynote in Paris, France.

Independent dealers say that the flow of new iMacs will be a "trickle" when they initially become available in mid-September. TMO was also told that the 17" model will be most readily available unit in the beginning, and that 20" models will be virtually non-existent when the iMac G5 first ships in mid-September.

Supply constraints should ease across the product line in late-November or early-December.

Dealers were not given specific reason for supply constraints, but were told that Apple will be shipping the new iMacs one at a time from manufacturing facilities in Asia. Apple has similarly turned to air-freight shipping to meet initial demand with other product rollouts in the past.

You can find the iMac G5 product line at the Apple Store. You can find additional details on the iMac at Apple's iMac Web site.

Quote:

Originally posted by dws

This is a nice little conspiracy theory, but I honestly don't think it represents reality. The FX5200 is just about the perfect GPU for the iMac. It will offer acceptable performance when running Tiger and won't cause overheating problems (a subject conveniently overlooked by the spec whores!).

A don't expect new iMacs until next May or June. 9 or 10 months sounds about right. 4 is merely wishful thinking. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same GPU and the CPUs bumped to 1.8 & 2.0; along with any fixes Apple needs to make this new design work more quietly. [ps... the lower bevel is here to stay; unless you think Apple will change to a power brick, which isn't likely.]

If you think you'd like a new iMac, get one. Waiting for a new version could be a long, and tedious, endeavor; with little payoff (unless it turns out that there is some kind of glaring technical problem with this version!).

• Reply 376 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Who says it was supposed to be brushed aluminum? Oh yes, RUMOR sites.

It is made out of the same material that the iBook and the former LCD Mac is made out of. There seems to be a transparent outer shell with an off white inner shell - again similar to the first white iBooks. The stand is brushed aluminum. Powder coating goes over metal I believe, not plastic.

P.S. Right about the hole in the door on the original iMac. I got it wrong. The new iMac however, seems to have that hole situated so cables can be put through it other then just the power cord.

I thought it wasn't plastic because of the heat problems. Plastic is an insulator. Seems like it would be counterproductive to coat it with that. You could also have cracking problems if there is a lot of heat too.
  • Reply 377 of 440
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What I still don't understand is where is the 15" model for $999. The more I think about it the more I think Apple's jumping the gun (as usual) on flat screens. They're still too expensive. I mean after four years computers are obsolete. A 20" LCD which set you back the majority of that price, isn't.

Now there's a simple solution which I made a thread about before. Why the HELL doesn't Apple and everyone else make Video in on such nice All in One screens??! And also their laptops, you'd think they would, at least on the 17" PowerBook. It's just an input, can't be that expensive. It seems obvious?
  • Reply 378 of 440
    I agree, Aquatic. That is what I like about the Sony vaio machine. Too bad the sony is so ugly.
  • Reply 379 of 440
    First off all I think everyone here should read this.

Yes. Go read it fully!

Now go whine:

"The haters offer their assessment. The forums are ablaze with vitriolic rage. Haters pan the device for being less powerful than a Cray X1 while zealots counter that it is both smaller and lighter than a Buick Regal. The virtual slap-fight goes on and on, until obscure technical nuances like, ?It's GPU is SHIT!? become matters of life and death."
  • Reply 380 of 440
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bsodmike

Get a PC or Console if you're a serious gamer. Duh.

Agreed. However, there are lots and lots of people who want to occasionally play games, but who are not "serious gamers". The 5200FX is potentially a dealbreaker for them.