Dead Pixel Issue with Powerbook/iBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What is the possiblity of a new Apple laptop being shipped with dead pixels? I've read despite spending thousands on a laptop Apple WON'T fix it?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by IronMentality

What is the possiblity of a new Apple laptop being shipped with dead pixels? I've read despite spending thousands on a laptop Apple WON'T fix it?!

It's very possible for any LCD to ship with dead pixels. It isn't something that can be fixed, outside of replacing the entire display. Industry standard for replacing a display due to dead pixels is eight, depending on number of pixels the display has, but that's average. I think Apple's standard is six for laptops. Sony's used to be thirteen, but it may be lower now.

If standards were such that a display couldn't be shipped with dead pixels, LCD prices would be far out of reach for the average consumer.

By the way, dead/stuck pixels can sometimes be massaged out. It takes a good while, and doesn't always work, but if your display comes to you perfect and one comes up dead/stuck later, it can sometimes fix it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Technically, dead pixels are covered under Apple's warranty, and they are BREAKING THE LAW by choosing not fix even one dead pixel. Dead pixels are the result of a faulty transistor on the LCD display, and the warranty, at least for my iBook G4, specifically states that:

"Apple, as defined below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product against DEFECT IN MATERIALS AND WORKMANSHIP under normal use for a period of one (1) year from the date of retail purchase by the end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period")."

By definition, a faulty transistor is a defect in materials, even if there are millions of them. There are no other exceptions in the written warranty that excludes them from the obligation of replacing screens with dead pixels, and they would be required by law to state in their warranty if they were not going to cover dead pixels, even one.

The law is very clear on this issue, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a company must make a full disclosure as to the exceptions and limitations of their warranty. In my iBook warranty, there is no mention of dead pixels at all.

FEDERAL LAW!!! Sec. 2302. - "Rules governing contents of warranties" clearly states that the warranty must include "(3) The products or parts covered.", "(6) Exceptions and exclusions from the terms of the warranty.", and "(12) The characteristics or properties of the products, or parts thereof, that are not covered by the warranty."

Look it up for yourself people, Apple is not above the law. I don't have the financial resources to fight this on my own, but if we get enough people together, we all can have screens without dead pixels... YAY!!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    shop .. at .. frys
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Does Fry's guarantee no dead pixels?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    If you read your warranty more carefully, you'll find that Apple (and EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURER UNDER THE SUN) has a clause concerning dead pixels, in an addendum. I got one with my iBook G4, so did you. Fuck, I'll even dig mine out. Hold on...

I seem to have lost the text of my warranty and only have the proof of purchase part left. I'm sure it's around here somewhere, but I live in a tiny room I share with my girlfriend, so the closet's a fucking wreck. I'll try and find it on their site, and link to it.

If manufacturers had to replace every single display with a couple of dead pixels, yields would be so low that the prices would skyrocket. It's steadily improving, though, and maybe someday dead pixels will be a thing of the past.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Well i'm talking about a brand new iBook G4, right out of the box. I read my warranty VERY closely, in fact, I am reading it right now. It says NOTHING about dead pixels so.. Yeah.. It's okay if they want to come out and say that dead pixels aren't covered in the warranty, but if they don't have it in there, they are required by law to fix it.

P.S. Don't believe everything they tell you about driving up costs, it for their own good that they don't replace them, not yours.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by PixelAvenger

Technically, dead pixels are covered under Apple's warranty, and they are BREAKING THE LAW by choosing not fix even one dead pixel. Dead pixels are the result of a faulty transistor on the LCD display, and the warranty, at least for my iBook G4, specifically states that:

"Apple, as defined below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product against DEFECT IN MATERIALS AND WORKMANSHIP under normal use for a period of one (1) year from the date of retail purchase by the end-user purchaser ("Warranty Period")."

By definition, a faulty transistor is a defect in materials, even if there are millions of them. There are no other exceptions in the written warranty that excludes them from the obligation of replacing screens with dead pixels, and they would be required by law to state in their warranty if they were not going to cover dead pixels, even one.

The law is very clear on this issue, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a company must make a full disclosure as to the exceptions and limitations of their warranty. In my iBook warranty, there is no mention of dead pixels at all.

FEDERAL LAW!!! Sec. 2302. - "Rules governing contents of warranties" clearly states that the warranty must include "(3) The products or parts covered.", "(6) Exceptions and exclusions from the terms of the warranty.", and "(12) The characteristics or properties of the products, or parts thereof, that are not covered by the warranty."

Look it up for yourself people, Apple is not above the law. I don't have the financial resources to fight this on my own, but if we get enough people together, we all can have screens without dead pixels... YAY!!

Well, a search has revealed you basically only registered here to come whine about the dead pixel issue. I suspected as much from your login name.

It is up to Apple to define defect, since it is Apple's warranty. A number of pixels deemed excessive (six, maybe, or perhaps three right together) will constitute a defect, and Apple will replace your display. A single stuck pixel, while annoying, doesn't impede the use of your display. How many pixels need to be stuck is at Apple's discretion. Do you honestly think that if Apple really was breaking the law, one of the thousands of customers who receive displays with dead pixels wouldn't have already gotten a class-action suit started?

Every single manufacturer has similar clause in their respective warranties. Apple is not alone in this; it's industry standards. The realities of producing LCD's dictates this policy. In general, Apple is better than most. They have fewer displays that ship with pixel anomalies, and they have a lower threshold of what they consider to be excessive.

I used to work retail computer sales; trust me about this, because I had to patiently explain this issue to every raving nut with a stuck pixel who discovered that isn't covered by the manufacturer warranty. Sony was the absolute worst about that shit, by the way.

Some retailers will sell additional warranties or simply have a policy accepting returns of displays with pixel anomalies. The business ethics of these practices (along with other no-questions-asked replacement warranties) are questionable, since they simply return them to the manufacturer as DOA, and get their money back. This ends up causing manufacturer prices to rise, and it all trickles down to the consumer, raising prices across the board, making the entire market pay for a few consumer's warranty replacements.

Apple explains pretty much the whole issue right here. I know for a fact that this was included with your iBook, as it was included with mine, and in fact with every LCD product Apple sells.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    There is no mention of pixels in the warranty, and THAT is my problem.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    How many dead pixels?

Where did you buy it?