Who pays this moron and why?!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
here's another one of Dvorak's ridiculous and laughably biased rants against the new imac...how is it that this guy gets paid for spouting such misinformed drivel? not sure if posting the article is allowed but the link is to cbsmarketwatch.com and might need an account to view so i will go ahead ...you gotta love the line about Tiger's core video/audio changes being referred to as "other trivia..." . gotta love this idiot. has he been living in bill gates' rear for the past 20 years?

here it is:

Apple's new iMac takes rear seat

Commentary: New computer betrays aging vision

By John C. Dvorak

Apple's senior vice president for worldwide product marketing was replacing the recuperating Steve Jobs. He mentioned that the founder and chief executive would be back in September, and that "September cannot come soon enough." If he checked a calendar he'd find that, in fact, September came the next day. The company seems to have lost track of time, and it showed with the G5 iMac.

Schiller, wearing an ill-fitting 1950s-style blue shirt buttoned high, began by raving about how great Paris was and then how "amazing" the iPod (a digital music player) was and also how great was the iPod mini.

It went from there to showing iPod ads. Ugh. These are the ads with black silhouettes spastically gyrating against colored backgrounds. "I don't know about you, but I wish I could dance like that," Schiller said. (OK, Phil, now the girls know never to go dancing with you.)

This iPod lovefest went on and on. What's more, Schiller added, the iPod is an "ecosystem!" It's hard to stomach all this nonsense.

Finally, after some other things are rolled out, including a search feature for the Mac, some graphics initiatives and other trivia, we find the new G5 iMac. Following the thread that Apple seems to have lost track of time, the machine comes in one old-fashioned color: 1988 platinum white. The design is hardly inspirational. In fact, if you put two headlamps on it and a metal sun visor over its "windshield," it would be reminiscent of a 1954 DeSoto.

The architecture is risky. First of all, they jammed the entire computer into the screen, making the idea of changing "monitors" or screens impractical.

Observers on the Net are seeing this design as a precursor to an Apple (AAPL: news, chart, profile) notepad computer. To date, the notepad revolution, as predicted by Bill Gates, has been as successful as Blue Pepsi.

The Apple design team was obviously held to this design by edict, since the result is hardly jazzy or interesting. What's worse, the engineering required that all of the USB, audio, Ethernet and modem connectors (10 of them, not including the power line) are awkwardly and inconveniently placed on the back of the bulky monitor-computer. With all these wires running off the back of this top-heavy machine, there's a good possibility that one will get tripped over. I suspect the iMac will go flying. This lash-up just does not look stable.

Even if I'm wrong, I'd still like to know what happened to all those fancy colors Apple was promoting. This unit is so white that when you visit the Apple Web site, you can barely see the computer as it disappears into the background of the site itself.

The fancy colors are now relegated to the iPod, which now seems to be Apple's primary focus. Schiller spent a lot of time bragging about Apple's 59 percent market share in the MP3 player market. Is this something to be proud of? Where does this market head? Almost anything with a small amount of memory can be turned into an MP3 player nowadays; you just need a headphone jack.

Of course, the iPod is more than any old MP3 player. It's quite expensive, costing as much as $400. But as Schiller mentioned, it can hold 10,000 songs that "you can have with you all the time." What maniac needs to have 10,000 songs with them all the time?

The fact is that Apple is starting to believe its own publicity and has gone iPod jack-wacky. Moving from computers to consumer electronics is dangerous for Apple. It's especially dangerous if the company thinks that MP3 players and its variants are the future.

Perhaps if the company took the plunge and followed the path of Sony with branded cameras, headphones, amplifiers and home theaters in a box it would be more interesting. But milking this one pricey and faddish device is going to ruin the company if it is going to be the center of attention, which it now seems to be.

-

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Want to know reality? Take whatever Dvorak says and spin it 180 degrees. This was the best news of the day.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Uh, it's not like the last version of the iMac had colors either, Mr. Dvorak. Did you just miss the whole last geveration or what?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    DAMN that must be some good kool-aid... I want me some of THOSE drugs.

I nominate that this thread stay in TI where it belongs.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    has he ever touched a Mac in his life? And how can you rant and rave and then say 'even if i am wrong...'

must be hard being John C. Dvorak
  • Reply 5 of 36
    i'm sorry..<snort..chortle...GAFFAWW!!>

i cant help it. im compelled to read it over and over again to try to understand how he can actually believe what he is writing. i keep laughing out loud and repeating the only word that feels relevant: MORON!!!

"The architecture is risky. First of all, they jammed the entire computer into the screen, making the idea of changing "monitors" or screens impractical."

- uh, moron..its an imac. if you wanted to change the screen you..uh...would be looking..at something else? like a powermac?!

- not to mention that they did actually manage to put the entire computer into the screen...like thats not impressive on its own?!

..and this one's the best:

" With all these wires running off the back of this top-heavy machine, there's a good possibility that one will get tripped over. I suspect the iMac will go flying."

- Hmmm. probably NOT! moron...last time i was walking by my computer which was placed strategically in the middle of my...uh...floor, i tripped over those damn wires!! Dumbass, most imacs that i know of (AIOs in general) usually sit on the...um.....DESK?!! BWAAAHHAAHAAA! seriously, i just keep having to laugh out loud . this is just so...so...

• Reply 6 of 36
    Wow, he is good. Most idiots only say one or two really dumb things in one piece. He managed to say something idiotic in nearlly every sentence.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    He is just warning Apple not to rely entirely on the iPod. He is also prejudiced about the new iMac. I would suggest that he buy one, test drive it for a bit and then make a post.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    He's as "right" about this as he's been about everything about Apple, including the time he wrote a column at a Macworld (1997 or so?) predicting it to be the last Macworld, ever.
  • Reply 9 of 36

John C. Dvorak... Now that's a whiner!
  • Reply 10 of 36
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Nobody have answered to the question : who paid this moron ?
  • Reply 11 of 36
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Nobody have answered to the question : who paid this moron ?

The same people who have been paying him to write inflammatory bovine manure for the past god-knows-how-many years.

My favorite is "What's worse, the engineering required that all of the USB, audio, Ethernet and modem connectors (10 of them, not including the power line) are awkwardly and inconveniently placed on the back of the bulky monitor-computer."

Where the fchk-ing hell are they supposed to go? On the top? On the front? This is so inane it killed a fistful of neurons in my brain every time I read over it. Not to mention that the engineering didn't require that -- they made that choice. And bulky? It's two inches, the thinnest in this form.

But seriously, folks -- this guy is paid to inflame. Ignore him. If you give audience to his drivel, he makes money.
  • Reply 12 of 36

Apple's senior vice president for worldwide product marketing was replacing the recuperating Steve Jobs. He mentioned that the founder and chief executive would be back in September, and that "September cannot come soon enough." If he checked a calendar he'd find that, in fact, September came the next day. The company seems to have lost track of time, and it showed with the G5 iMac.

Infantile nitpicking. Who gives a damn?

Schiller, wearing an ill-fitting 1950s-style blue shirt buttoned high, began by raving about how great Paris was and then how "amazing" the iPod (a digital music player) was and also how great was the iPod mini.

Looks like a normal blue shirt to me. I suppose he should have started out by complaining about all the garbage and graffiti on the streets of Paris. Mentioning a product you sell is just plain crazy too.

It went from there to showing iPod ads. Ugh. These are the ads with black silhouettes spastically gyrating against colored backgrounds. "I don't know about you, but I wish I could dance like that," Schiller said. (OK, Phil, now the girls know never to go dancing with you.)

Yes, we all know you have the body of an 'Adonis' Dvorak.

This iPod lovefest went on and on. What's more, Schiller added, the iPod is an "ecosystem!" It's hard to stomach all this nonsense.

Finally, after some other things are rolled out, including a search feature for the Mac, some graphics initiatives and other trivia, we find the new G5 iMac. Following the thread that Apple seems to have lost track of time, the machine comes in one old-fashioned color: 1988 platinum white. The design is hardly inspirational. In fact, if you put two headlamps on it and a metal sun visor over its "windshield," it would be reminiscent of a 1954 DeSoto.

Yes, an OS that beats the crap out of Microsoft's Longhorn is "trivia" and let's just make up colors like 1988 platinum white.

The architecture is risky. First of all, they jammed the entire computer into the screen, making the idea of changing "monitors" or screens impractical.

How is this different from all previous iMacs? Did they have interchangeable screens?

Observers on the Net are seeing this design as a precursor to an Apple (AAPL: news, chart, profile) notepad computer. To date, the notepad revolution, as predicted by Bill Gates, has been as successful as Blue Pepsi.

Apple has not released a tablet computer yet you are complaining that Apple is releasing a tablet computer?

The Apple design team was obviously held to this design by edict, since the result is hardly jazzy or interesting. What's worse, the engineering required that all of the USB, audio, Ethernet and modem connectors (10 of them, not including the power line) are awkwardly and inconveniently placed on the back of the bulky monitor-computer. With all these wires running off the back of this top-heavy machine, there's a good possibility that one will get tripped over. I suspect the iMac will go flying. This lash-up just does not look stable.

I agree the port placement is bad but based on looks not some hypothetical situation where I might decide to walk across my desk and trip myself.

Even if I'm wrong, I'd still like to know what happened to all those fancy colors Apple was promoting. This unit is so white that when you visit the Apple Web site, you can barely see the computer as it disappears into the background of the site itself.

Yes, you are wrong. Apple was never promoting "fancy" colors nor any colors at all.

The fancy colors are now relegated to the iPod, which now seems to be Apple's primary focus. Schiller spent a lot of time bragging about Apple's 59 percent market share in the MP3 player market. Is this something to be proud of? Where does this market head? Almost anything with a small amount of memory can be turned into an MP3 player nowadays; you just need a headphone jack.

Yeah, anyone can make an MP3 player but can they make a good one? I think that might be the whole point.

Of course, the iPod is more than any old MP3 player. It's quite expensive, costing as much as $400. But as Schiller mentioned, it can hold 10,000 songs that "you can have with you all the time." What maniac needs to have 10,000 songs with them all the time?

Me, you dumb son of a bitch.

The fact is that Apple is starting to believe its own publicity and has gone iPod jack-wacky. Moving from computers to consumer electronics is dangerous for Apple. It's especially dangerous if the company thinks that MP3 players and its variants are the future.

Yes, they should dump the iPod ASAP because it may loose its popularity one day. Perhaps you should stop writing ASAP because believe me, that time has come and gone.

Perhaps if the company took the plunge and followed the path of Sony with branded cameras, headphones, amplifiers and home theaters in a box it would be more interesting. But milking this one pricey and faddish device is going to ruin the company if it is going to be the center of attention, which it now seems to be.

Why? So you can complain about each additional device Apple comes out with? Ah, job security. Got to have something to write about as bitching about Apple is all you know.

• Reply 13 of 36
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    "The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse.' There is no evidence that people want to use these things."

-- John C. Dvorak, SF Examiner, Feb. 1984.

'Nuff said.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    The people who pay this guy because he generates tons of interest from the Mac community. Do you realize how much site traffic one of his articles generates? He's here for your entertainment and benefit, folks. Mac fans tend to be easily riled up, and are generally just itching to get riled up, especially after new hardware releases.

Want him to stop? Stop reading his articles. Stop increasing traffic to sites that host his articles. Stop making him controversial, and therefore successful. Ignore him. You know, like when a kid's getting picked on.

Man, I'm so high.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

"The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse.' There is no evidence that people want to use these things."

• Reply 16 of 36
    While I agree Dvorak is pretty stupid, sometimes I think the people on this board are the ones drinking the kool-aid.

Theres a good number of people on this board who will defend ANYTHING Apple does or comes out with. Hey, no company can bat 1000, but Apples been batting waaay below that lately. Product delay after product delay, abosolutley no mid ground consumer offering for 2 months.

And everyones response to any charges against Apple is "Mac OS blows away Windows".... and they are right...the software side of Apple is strong... its thier hardware that is overpriced, often delayed and available in way too few configurations. I believe average consumers want a box and a monitor. Apple expects people to do audio and video editing in iLife, yet they don't give them enough credit to be able to connect friggin color coded wires together to setup the computer. AIO's will always be a very small percentage of the market, IMO. People will get desktops and people will get laptops.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    John Dvorak is seriously Microsoft's pet Limbaugh or Savage.

Jesus.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    he's obviously been using some variation of a wintel machine his entire life and compounded by the anger of having a virus update to worry about every day he has become bitter...He almost certainly used a mac in 1986 a couple of times and now thinks he knows everything about the OS. He's a bitter old prick who just doesnt get it and probably never will because a Mac cant change the fact that he has a shitty personality and will never get laid.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    He still thinks the "toilet seat" iBook is available. He has been wrong so many times, like Thurott and Enderle. But it doesn't matter. His constituency is PC users. He serves a purpose by boosting their morale when Apple wows the world with new products. Hell, even Tech TV couldn't take his morose demeanor on his daily show and canned him a few years ago. I think he should be pitied. Just another hack masquerading as a writer in a field full of incompetent "journalists".
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

My favorite is "What's worse, the engineering required that all of the USB, audio, Ethernet and modem connectors (10 of them, not including the power line) are awkwardly and inconveniently placed on the back of the bulky monitor-computer."

Where the fchk-ing hell are they supposed to go? On the top? On the front? This is so inane it killed a fistful of neurons in my brain every time I read over it. Not to mention that the engineering didn't require that -- they made that choice. And bulky? It's two inches, the thinnest in this form.

Everyone knows they're supposed to go on the back of your tower, under your desk (so you can "service" them on your knees like Monica Lewinsky) or on the front of said tower so you can relentlessly kick their cables, eventually damaging both the cable and the connector.

Or even better, you're supposed to put your tower on top of your desk, like some kind of "2001: A Space Odyssey" monolith, since your desk space is obviously of no value and having a noisy, heat-generating machine inches from your head is clearly a benefit to productivity.