POLL: New iMac, like or no-like?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    I hated it on the pictures posted on apple.com, but then I though real ones at the Apple Expo and started thinking it looks quite cool. I think that there's too much white plastic under the screen, though...
  • Reply 62 of 86
    the 20" version must have more room behind the screen...

should have put a bigger GFX card in it.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I'll try to summarize my issues with the bezel:

The problem is that the bezel/case has a 4:3 aspect ratio and the monitor has a 16:10 aspect ratio. So for the bezel to contian the screen, there must be a bit of empty (and pointless) white space at the bottom so that the screen will fit. The visual end result is that the widescreen monitor looks smaller than it should because it is dwarfed by the bezel and you loose the widescreen feel and get a... television feeling. Thick bezels around an LCD screen make the screen seem smaller as witnessed by this example, and when you have a different aspect ratio between the screen and bezel,things really look bad because the screen seems too small for the machine as witnessed by this example.

The dimensions are just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. Maybe it looks different in person than over the web, but the machine looks like an eMac with a too small screen. I thnk Apple really screwed up, and I don't say that lightly.

In contrast, the previous iMac had a bezel that simply wrapped the screen and preserved the aspect ratio of the widescreen LCD. The screen seemed larger because there was just the screen and not much extraneous plastic around it.

This is a really good analysis. It explains why myself and others find the white at the bottom too big and odd.

Sincerely,

Dr. L

• Reply 64 of 86
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    With all of the experts here, we should start a computer company that cand do it right...
  • Reply 65 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

Everyone that saw my old iMac said "Where is the computer?" i then had to open the CDROM to show them that it was in the dome and it wasn't just the base of a monitor. It was hard for people to believe that small dome contained all the guts that were in their big bulky towers.

I think this new design is awesome. It was what many expected, I think. No more focus on the computer, just the OS or interface. ...

This is a good approach, really. Focus on the interface... A step forward IMHO.

Generally - at first glance i liked it. But as usual and many many others said before, you have to see the Mac in person
  • Reply 66 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

With all of the experts here, we should start a computer company that cand do it right...

Yeah, but it's very hard to turn a profit when all you can actually produce is Photoshopped pictures of computers with a list of specs underneath.

But it's much easier to design computers when you don't have to worry about actually putting the guts inside and getting them running reliably, and being able to produce them in quantity cost-efficiently.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    The monitor part looks like it's not as adjustable as the old iMac...
  • Reply 68 of 86
    Engineering, design, and aesthetics. I am convinced that some are confused over the distinctions. Settle in folks, this is going to take a while.

Engineering is about figuring out how to make things work. Design is about solving problems. Aesthetics is about how something looks. I don?t know the first thing about engineering so I will give Apple the benefit of the doubt, (whatever benefit there is in doubt) and declare the iMac 3 an engineering marvel. That still does not make it a great design. The question of design can only be answered when you consider what problems the design was attempting to solve.

The iMac 2 was essentially two separate parts, the CPU and the monitor. Each was independent components joined by an ingenious connector. That set up solved the problem of how to create an AIO while utilizing an LCD and allowing the LCD to be true to itself, thin, light, and ergonomic. One of the problems that created was expense. We are led to believe that the arm and the manufacturing cast a fortune. The design solution to that problem is the iMac 3. Glom the rest of the computer onto the back of the display and wrap them all up together. No more separate components. No more expensive arm. This was not an end user problem. This was an engineering problem. So the consumer does not feel that there is any direct advantage in this change for them. In fact, they lose the best part of the previous model. The advantage to the consumer, however, is the potential for lower pricing.

The iMac 2 solve a footprint problem. Still, it created the problems of stacking components, using miniature parts instead less expensive, higher performing desktop parts, and limited ability to dissipate heat to accommodate hotter components in the future. The iMac 3 solved some of these problems by utilizing a larger internal space for components. They still seem to be suing a notebook optical drive though. They can accommodate more heat so hopefully, they will be able to update this model a bit more aggressively. This design allowed them to maintain a small footprint. Again, though, the design is addressing engineering issues, not end user issues. Still, the end user is ultimately benefited by increased performance due to higher heat producing parts.

There are still issues that the iMac 3 does not address. Even the PM has some easily accessible ports. There must be some engineering reason that they are not using the now standard 8X SD. The aesthetics of the machine are somewhat dictated by the engineering and design priorities. There was no way to have less bezel without stacking components on top of each other. The corporate priorities require that it be an AIO. Size and weight restrictions were likely placed on the design as well. This computer seems to be less about selling the best computer for consumer and more about selling iPods. The iMacness of the iMac seems to be secondary these days.

After all is said and done, this is a better value than the last one. But it is a design step backwards from the end users perspective. Engineering questions aside, I find it aesthetically displeasing. Questions of design are still open. Does it solve more problems than it creates? Will the consumer see the design as solving their problems? Too soon to tell.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    So is the iMac 2 completely out of production now?

And did the iMac 2's prices drop significantly?

If so, I'll be the first one looking to bring a flowerpot home...
  • Reply 70 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

So is the iMac 2 completely out of production now?

And did the iMac 2's prices drop significantly?

If so, I'll be the first one looking to bring a flowerpot home...

Way out of production. Check e-Bay.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Voyer

...There are still issues that the iMac 3 does not address. Even the PM has some easily accessible ports. ...

I do beleive that because the iMac is not that big and heavy that rotating it on your desk to better reach the ports will be alot simpler than reaching behind a tower or even a pizza box with a monitor stacked on top. Offcourse, I won't know until I've actually played with one, but I think it's wrong to think of the iMac as some immobile block of cement.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    You know, after reading most of these posts i think one thing is clear.

Apple is still in the forefront of innovation. Regardless of whether or not it works for you or whoever, the fact that it's making people think about what 'could' be better or what 'could' be improved is just another positive for Apple's dominance in the 'what-if-we-did-it-like-this' business.

When was the last time a 'major' computer maker made you use your brain in an innovative way?
  • Reply 73 of 86
    Totally agree about too much white plastic at the bottom of the screen, looks like a lcd emac, but after 2 days of digesting and deliberating, Im gonna order the 17" 1.8GHz with airport and bluetooth mouse and keyboard tomorrow. No cables apart from the printer. Apple now need to design a white bluetooth printer to match. Are you reading this Philbot??!!

The 20" spec is out of my price range as a home user. I think it would favour the proffessional user more I guess?? A bunch of them would look well cool in my workplace as the office is open plan and the back would be seen as much as the front!

Still disappointed with the 4x superdrive. Just bought 100 8x Blank DVD-R discs last week! Doh!
  • Reply 74 of 86
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    Bluetooth?

Let's get everything Airported!

AirPod

• Reply 75 of 86
    I think Apple hit a home run with this design. It's such an incredible feat of engineering, design, and aesthetics. People here are busting on the Jay Leno bezel, but the fact is, it still looks wonderful. I can't wait to own a G5 at these prices.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I do beleive that because the iMac is not that big and heavy that rotating it on your desk to better reach the ports will be alot simpler than reaching behind a tower or even a pizza box with a monitor stacked on top. Offcourse, I won't know until I've actually played with one, but I think it's wrong to think of the iMac as some immobile block of cement.

It looks like it has a teflon/plastic pad beneath the foot that will make it a breeze to move back and forth.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

It was mentioned on a few websites. The fact that it was designed by iPod team was mentioned in the keynote itself. There are now two main hardware divisions, Macintosh and iPod, as you will recall this change was officially made a few months ago. Why the iPod division would handle it as opposed to the Macintosh division I do not know. I could be wrong but I think the design shows Ive had very little if any input on this one. At the very least he was not as involved in it as with past projects. I think it's clear this isn't his baby. It's also odd that for the first time a promotional video was not shown for a major new product.

Yes, there are two divisions at Apple to give the iPod and the computing line its fair share of corporate resources. However, my bet is that the "from the creators of the iPod" tag line is referring to the same individuals who have historically been involved in the iMac line. After all, before the iPod division, the same industrial design team that developed the first iMac also designed the first iPod. Apple is effectively leveraging brand recognition of the iPod to cross sell computers. Welcome to the world of marketing! Let's hope that the iPod "glow" extends beyond the hottest selling MP3 playing and starts to push CPU's out the door.

Regarding the enormous white space beneath the screen, think of the benzel as a large SX-70 Polaroid print...just don't shake it to make it developed faster.
  • Reply 78 of 86

Gateway Profile 5XL-C

Sony VAIO V300G

BOLData LCD PC 1777

Sony VAIO 310P

Apple iMac G5

How much better could a LCD based AIO get?
  • Reply 79 of 86
    I think the new iMac is stunning. I'll be selling my PB next month to fund the purchase of a 20" iMac G5.

Compared to other LCD AIO's the iMac is a class apart.
  • Reply 80 of 86
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I don't live to criticize. I've been a Mac fanboy since my SE/30...

But the SE was so similar in proportions, only with a tall narrow chassis and a more-square display. In fact, Looking at the two together, it's quite likely the designers went back and looked at the first line of Macs as inspiration for the face of the iMac G5.

vs.