Apple delays 30-inch Cinema Display into October

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple notifies customers about impending delays on shipments of its new 30-inch HD Cinema Display.

Apple Computer this week began notifying customers that it will be unable to ship its new 30-inch high-definition display until late October.

In an email to some of the display's earliest adopters, the company said that, "due to an unexpected supply delay," it can no longer meet its previously quoted ship dates. Customers are now being told by Apple to expect their orders to ship on or before October 25th.

The company is asking customers to confirm whether they would like to continue waiting for their displays or have their order canceled in favor of a prompt refund.

Apple also told customer, "If we do not hear from you or we cannot ship your order by the revised date above, we are required by federal law to cancel your order and issue a prompt refund, and we will do so."

Apple introduced and began taking orders for the 30-inch HD Cinema Display during its World Wide Developers Conference in late-June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Totally unacceptable and damaging to the company. Apple is the laughing stock of the computer world when it comes to shipping a product.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Totally unacceptable and damaging to the company. Apple is the laughing stock of the computer world when it comes to shipping a product.

I agree, almost ...

The gpu 6800(?) that this big, huge, thing needs has been delyed too, hasn´t it?

So whats the rush?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maclogic

I agree, almost ...

The gpu 6800(?) that this big, huge, thing needs has been delyed too, hasn´t it?

Perhaps the two separate delays (30" displays and Geforce 6800) are not unrelated, since the 30" display cannot operate without this graphics card.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Its probably video card related.

I am waiting on a Georce 6800 myself and it keeps getting pushed back.

Hell, ultras are hard to get in PC land.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Its amazing how Apple systematically misses the ship dates on almost all thier products... and somehow its never thier fault...

"The 30-inch display was delayed because of the IBM G5 shortage.... oh it doesnt have a G5?...its must be the microdrive shortage... oh it doesnt have a microdrive?... its ATI's fault..."

I really really wanted to "get into" Apple. I waited patiently for the new iMac... was disappointed in its specs, looks, and price... they can't make good on any of thier promises.... there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Apple will never have more than 10% market share... and thats being libral.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

Totally unacceptable

And yet...it must be accepted. Such is life.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Apple is not going to offer you a refund on a $3,300 monitor becuase they feel real bad that they can't get you a video card to drive it. Get real! They'd ship it to you with instructions on how to properly slide important papers underneath it before they sent you a check for $3300.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

And yet...it must be accepted. Such is life.

No...such is not life...and it shouldn't be accepted. It's people that accept this that lets Apple announce products but ship them almost half a year later.

There are tons of businesses or people that rely on these things being shipped in a reasonable time frame. These people are probably looking elsewhere now because it's clear Apple never ships *any* products on time.

Apple's always being secretive because it's scared of competitors stealing ideas...well, holy shit, the delays are so long now that competitors probably have time to develop and ship a product between the time Apple announces a product and ships it.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

There are tons of businesses or people that rely on these things being shipped in a reasonable time frame. These people are probably looking elsewhere now because it's clear Apple never ships *any* products on time.

Um, not that it makes it right, but I am not aware of any other 30" HD widescreen monitors, I could be wrong, but I just don't know of anything else like this. And who out there has to have a 30" display today? Not saying it's right of Apple, but really. It's not affecting anyone in a critically negative way other than being able to say "Look what I have (first)"....
  • Reply 10 of 29
    It would be nice if Apple could at least be honest. I have a ship date of 9/17, which is already the 3rd ship date for my dual 2.5 and a ship date of 10/25 for my 30" display. They already know they can't ship the 2.5 on the 17th because it has a 6800 in it. They'll wait untill midnight on the 16th to change the date again. That's plain wrong. A lack of integrity is why APPLE will never get beyond a 3% share. 10% is a fantasy.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

No...such is not life...and it shouldn't be accepted.

I don't see how you have any choice.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by iHarry

A lack of integrity is why APPLE will never get beyond a 3% share. 10% is a fantasy.

Hmmm...doesn't seem to have hurt MS very much.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

I don't see how you have any choice.

Here's my choice: Apple not getting *my* money.

How's that? I really like that choice...and if a lot of people really like that choice maybe Apple will start changing their practices.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

Here's my choice: Apple not getting *my* money.

How's that? I really like that choice...

Exactly my point. You have no choice but to accept that you cannot (at the present time) buy an Apple 30" display.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iHarry

A lack of integrity is why APPLE will never get beyond a 3% share. 10% is a fantasy.

Actually, the inability and unwillingness of Apple to make a computer with the guts of an iMac G5 but without the monitor (thus ignoring a huge segment of the population that doesn't want an all-in-one and doesn't want to spend $2000 to not get a monitor from apple) is why Apple will never get beyond 3%. (Keep in mind I think they're at 2% now).

I certainly would've bought more macs over the years if there was a cheaper upgrade option then just jumping from over-priced tower to over-priced tower.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Hmmm...doesn't seem to have hurt MS very much.

unless of course you throw in that $1.1B antitrust settlement and the pending settlement with the EU, or the slow but steady move to Linux. No, I guess it dosn't make a difference.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:

Exactly my point. You have no choice but to accept that you cannot (at the present time) buy an Apple 30" display.

Or anyone else's 30" LCD display either.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I put this in another forum thread... because I didn't see this until I posted. So we can move mine over here:

So the newest article by AI claims apple will no longer be able to ship 30" LCD screens on time. Lets recap on some of the promised shipping dates that have moved back in the last year or so.

1. Rev A PowerMac g5 (all of them, especially the dual 2.0)

2. XServe G5 (this went on for 5+ months)

3. eMac 1.2ghz 1 month after it was released (the last one released)

4. iMac G4 supplies disappeared (couldn't release iMac g5 quick enough)

5. Rev B PowerMac g5 (dual 2.0 and dual 2.5 90nm procs)

6. NVidia 6800 ultra (yes this is apple's fault, not NVidias)

7. Apple LCD 30" (just added to the list).

8. I'll bet money the iMac g5 gets delayed too.

If you ask me, that is a hefty list to have hovering over your head. If I had any stock what so ever in a company that had this kind of track record I would definitely sell it. That is one year and about 60% of their hardware products!

I think Apple needs to find other people to produce their parts if this continues to happen. This isn't healthy for anyone. Especially including things like this in their "date pushback" emails: "If we do not hear from you or we cannot ship your order by the revised date above, we are required by federal law to cancel your order and issue a prompt refund, and we will do so."

Aren't you guys getting fed up with this poor company management (or what have you)?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I put this in another forum thread... because I didn't see this until I posted. So we can move mine over here:

So the newest article by AI claims apple will no longer be able to ship 30" LCD screens on time. Lets recap on some of the promised shipping dates that have moved back in the last year or so.

1. Rev A PowerMac g5 (all of them, especially the dual 2.0)

2. XServe G5 (this went on for 5+ months)

3. eMac 1.2ghz 1 month after it was released (the last one released)

4. iMac G4 supplies disappeared (couldn't release iMac g5 quick enough)

5. Rev B PowerMac g5 (dual 2.0 and dual 2.5 90nm procs)

6. NVidia 6800 ultra (yes this is apple's fault, not NVidias)

7. Apple LCD 30" (just added to the list).

8. I'll bet money the iMac g5 gets delayed too.

If you ask me, that is a hefty list to have hovering over your head. If I had any stock what so ever in a company that had this kind of track record I would definitely sell it. That is one year and about 60% of their hardware products!

I think Apple needs to find other people to produce their parts if this continues to happen. This isn't healthy for anyone. Especially including things like this in their "date pushback" emails: "If we do not hear from you or we cannot ship your order by the revised date above, we are required by federal law to cancel your order and issue a prompt refund, and we will do so."

Aren't you guys getting fed up with this poor company management (or what have you)?

I really don't like slamming Apple. I publish reports because it is my duty, but I must point out that you forgot to list the iPod mini =P That one, by far, was one of the worst.

Kasper
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

I really don't like slamming Apple. I publish reports because it is my duty, but I must point out that you forgot to list the iPod mini =P That one, by far, was one of the worst.

Kasper

Actually iPod Mini was not a DELAY but a fortunate condition of demand WAY outstripping supply.