Hurricane Francis

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Update...

It's currently heading slightly west of their original projections and has not yet decreased in speed. Currently the winds are at 145mph near the eye wall (thats sustained winds for the uninitiated). I still think its going to head further west of the current projections. I keep thinking of the future episodes of "storm stories" that will result from Francis as the path continues to unfold. BTW the weather channels website www.weather.com sucks some serious ass, it is a huge jumbled mess of random information in little discernable order. I'll be back later with more updates.

Thank you for watching, this is your friendly hurricane awareness expert Playmaker signing off =getting my ass back to work
  • Reply 22 of 27
    heres a nice humbleing statment

"I can't emphasize enough how powerful this is," Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami, said at a news conference on Wednesday. "If there's something out there that's going to weaken it, we haven't seen it."
  • Reply 23 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Don't trust weather.com for a second. Their forecasts are always wrong in my experience. Go to the real source:

http://www.noaa.org

You might as well get your updates from the place that actually issues those warnings and watches.

More west = good news here. Sorry for you folks in FL. Good luck to you.

Isn't a category 5 hurricane defined as having 150 mph sustained winds? Could be wrong. That's some nasty stuff coming this way. You figure, 145 is probably enough to flip cars, neverminds the floodwaters.

PS: could a mod fix the thread to read, "Hurricane Frances" please? It's a girl!
  • Reply 24 of 27
    I get most of my info from http://flhurricane.com/ and http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ but simply found it necessary to point out the level of shittyness associated with www.weather.com . Sorry about the poor spelling but heres some information on Cat. 4 & 5 storms that might make up for it:

Category Four Hurricane:

Winds 131-155 mph (114-135 kt or 210-249 km/hr). Storm surge generally 13-18 ft above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of structures near the shore. Terrain lower than 10 ft above sea level may be flooded requiring massive evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles (10 km). Hurricane Luis of 1995 was a Category Four hurricane while moving over the Leeward Islands. Hurricanes Felix and Opal of 1995 also reached Category Four status at peak intensity.

Category Five Hurricane:

Winds greater than 155 mph (135 kt or 249 km/hr). Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the center of the hurricane. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 ft above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles (8-16 km) of the shoreline may be required. Hurricane Mitch of 1998 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity over the western Caribbean. Hurricane Gilbert of 1988 was a Category Five hurricane at peak intensity and is one of the strongest Atlantic tropical cyclones of record.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Could a mod please SPELL the hurricane's name correctly?
  • Reply 26 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    This must be the slowest hurricane ever? They've been talking about this thing for two weeks.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

This must be the slowest hurricane ever? They've been talking about this thing for two weeks.

No Shit. I am in Jacksonville and we are still getting dumped on!! Let's not forgot Ivan.