license plates, why do people do this?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
they spend extra money and get specialty plates, then you can't even tell what state they are from and/or the cause they want to advertise because they have dealership or other frames around it

i don't understand...please enlighten me

ps. i'm in michigan, where you can select many different varieties of plates

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I like funny ones. I have seen "OMGWTF" and that deserved some props.

The "2H0T4U" and crap like that are irritating.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    i want to get one that says "TI 3VOM" that way, when you see it in your rearview mirrow, it says "MOVE IT"
  • Reply 3 of 42
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Uk plates are a bit different, last friday in my sleepy village, I spotted the plate

FX51 AMD

but the best part, It was on a fucking green "Vauxhall Corsa"

• Reply 4 of 42
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    My ideas:

SJ4ever

ipodder

2x G5

/.er

doom3

but the one i would love is

GEEK
  • Reply 5 of 42
    fsck

That's worth buying a car for.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    mine is nofeer

wifes itsback (for new beetle turbo)

i wish KY allowed 7 letters, more options
  • Reply 7 of 42
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    In Illinois I think a custom plate that has letters and numbers costs a one time fee of around $10 USD. If you have only letters it's over $100, but either way it's a one time fee. I can understand why people do it for $10.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I want one that says "IM VAIN"
  • Reply 9 of 42
    i'm not talking about personalized plates....

link

ie.Fundraising License Plates
  • Reply 10 of 42
    for personalized plates:

• Reply 11 of 42
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Florida had a whole book of plates when I was stationed there. You think we have a lot of plates, you should check out Florida's repository.

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/specialt...cialindex.html

Identifying the state shouldn't be too much of a problem. Most people in MI have MI plates. Other state plates are recognizable and each state follows a numbering/lettering convention making ID possible for "tough" plates. Also, if you commute enough you learn the different states associated with a plate design.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    I see three possible rationales for the oddity you raise.

The first two are variations on postmodern expression of contemptuous social protest. One can only speculate as to whether this represents the former option or the latter. The first possibility is of course outrage at the ascendency of Corporatism as distilled in the Car Dealership Outline Thingie triumphantly obscuring a social conscience as represented by the Indiana Kids license plate with its crayon-esque use of child imagery.

Alternatively there is the more specific case of those plates with a nice generic looking outdoor scene with a bird and like a sunset or something, one cannot help but feel moved to the core by this pogniant and damning confirmation that our society's automobile dependency has eclipsed our communion with nature. Of course one cannot help but give a wry knowing smile at the admitted hypocrisy of this protest being carried out aboard an automobile, a sense of outrage mixed with knowing guilt in the finest Catholic tradition. Naturally the canvas is completed by an accompanying bumper sticker praising America and preaching patriotism which hints at the foreign policy complications of our petroleum dependency and the related costs of this addiction.

The third possibility is that people like to feel like they are doing something good and throw in an Andrew Jackson at the DMV for Cause X but are too lazy to bother taking that frame thing off.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

I see three possible rationales for the oddity you raise.

The first two are variations on postmodern expression of contemptuous social protest. One can only speculate as to whether this represents the former option or the latter. The first possibility is of course outrage at the ascendency of Corporatism as distilled in the Car Dealership Outline Thingie triumphantly obscuring a social conscience as represented by the Indiana Kids license plate with its crayon-esque use of child imagery.

Alternatively there is the more specific case of those plates with a nice generic looking outdoor scene with a bird and like a sunset or something, one cannot help but feel moved to the core by this pogniant and damning confirmation that our society's automobile dependency has eclipsed our communion with nature. Of course one cannot help but give a wry knowing smile at the admitted hypocrisy of this protest being carried out aboard an automobile, a sense of outrage mixed with knowing guilt in the finest Catholic tradition. Naturally the canvas is completed by an accompanying bumper sticker praising America and preaching patriotism which hints at the foreign policy complications of our petroleum dependency and the related costs of this addiction.

The third possibility is that people like to feel like they are doing something good and throw in an Andrew Jackson at the DMV for Cause X but are too lazy to bother taking that frame thing off.

Or more simply, in my case I liked the Maize and Blue of my alma matter over the plain blue of MI plates.

[edit] One day I'll learn to type or. Fixed a type-o
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Ah Maize and Blue eh? What did you study?
  • Reply 15 of 42
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I have a California Crew License plate cover and will likely get a custom plate of either Cal Crew or applenut
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Ah Maize and Blue eh? What did you study?

Mechanical Engineering.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Uk plates are a bit different, last friday in my sleepy village, I spotted the plate

FX51 AMD

but the best part, It was on a fucking green "Vauxhall Corsa"

this one?

http://www.digimods.co.uk/images/Vir...xhallcorsa.jpg

-Neø the dittohead
  • Reply 18 of 42
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

this one?

http://www.digimods.co.uk/images/Vir...xhallcorsa.jpg

-Neø the dittohead

no! thats nice.

it was one of the dark green standard ones.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    neoneo Posts: 271member
  • Reply 20 of 42
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

fsck

That's worth buying a car for.

Well, you got right the last 4 digits of my phone number (previous). I could choose ..

My fav car plate I saw was in a car in front of Cincinnati (or Columbus?) Apple Store:

KRNL PNC