Apple says its iMac G5 is fully user-serviceable

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's claims that its new iMac G5 computer is the worlds thinnest desktop computer, but it may also be the most user-serviceable.

Do-it-yourself iMac G5 parts install

Think you need a new part for your iMac G5? A recently published Apple document claims that users can replace many of the iMac G5's parts by themselves.

The company says that the iMac G5 was designed to make it easy for users to install replacement parts if they need to. A list of parts that can be install by the user includes: the LCD display, power supply, optical drive, hard drive, memory, AirPort Extreme card, and modem card.

Apple also says that users will be able to service the mid-plane assembly, which contains the main logic board, the G5 processor and fans.

iMac G5 diagnostic LEDs

Meanwhile, a second document reveals that the iMac G5 has four built-in diagnostic LEDs on the main logic board that can help users to troubleshoot their computer.

The first two LEDs will indicate to the user that trickle voltage from the power supply has been detected and that the main logic board has detected proper power from the power supply. The second two indicators confirm that the computer and the LCD display are communicating properly, and that the computer is not overheating.

Full instructions on accessing the LED indicator lights, which are nestled behind the back cover of the computer, are provided in the document.

Although Apple is offering its iMac G5 customers the do-it-yourself approach, sources said that the company will likely recommend authorized service repairs to customers wishing not to risk voiding their warranty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple's claims that its new iMac G5 computer is the worlds thinnest desktop computer, but it may also be the most user-serviceable.

Do-it-yourself iMac G5 parts install

Think you need a new part for your iMac G5? A recently published Apple document claims that users can replace many of the iMac G5's parts by themselves.

The company says that the iMac G5 was designed to make it easy for users to install replacement parts if they need to. A list of parts that can be install by the user includes: the LCD display, power supply, optical drive, hard drive, memory, AirPort Extreme card, and modem card.

Apple also says that users will be able to service the mid-plane assembly, which contains the main logic board, the G5 processor and fans.

iMac G5 diagnostic LEDs

Meanwhile, a second document reveals that the iMac G5 has four built-in diagnostic LEDs on the main logic board that can help users to troubleshoot their computer.

The first two LEDs will indicate to the user that trickle voltage from the power supply has been detected and that the main logic board has detected proper power from the power supply. The second two indicators confirm that the computer and the LCD display are communicating properly, and that the computer is not overheating.

Full instructions on accessing the LED indicator lights, which are nestled behind the back cover of the computer, are provided in the document.

Although Apple is offering its iMac G5 customers the do-it-yourself approach, sources said that the company will likely recommend authorized service repairs to customers wishing not to risk voiding their warranty.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Everything!

Except the videocard.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Everything!

Except the videocard.

Isn't the video card part of the logic board?
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

It is...too bad eh?
  • Reply 4 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

It is...too bad eh?

"Apple also says that users will be able to service the mid-plane assembly, which contains the main logic board, the G5 processor and fans."

So you could upgrade the logic board and put a faster G5 in there...
  • Reply 5 of 60
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hmmm... you wonder if this is the beginning towards that "illuminated color case" patent that they got?
  • Reply 6 of 60
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    What about the Bluetooth module?

When I ordered my G5 Power Mac, I wanted to get Bluetooth, but G5 Power Mac orders were already terribly backed up, and ANY build-to-order option would have made the delay much worse, so I skipped it.

The trade-off doing that was that the internal BT module is not user-installable (or at least so says Apple), leaving an external USB BT module as your only option if you don't get BT built in in the first place.

It would be nice if you could add internal BT yourself any time you like, even more so with the new G5 iMac, which cries out for BT keyboard and mouse... but also, unfortunately, cries out "BIG shipment delay!" if you dare add BT as a BTO option.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    I'd be excited if the video card were upgradable.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    This is rather surprising - about half way between the PowerMac and PowerBook in terms of what users can do.

I can see various options from Apple in the future, especially upgrades.

There is a hell of a lot more to the G5 iMac that we know. I have no doubt that there will be more surprises to come.

I'm just glad my BTO order went in Tuesday morning - scheduled to ship 9/29 and I'm scheduled to be overseas on a business trip. Aghhh!
  • Reply 9 of 60
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Murky but interesting.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

What about the Bluetooth module?

When I ordered my G5 Power Mac, I wanted to get Bluetooth, but G5 Power Mac orders were already terribly backed up, and ANY build-to-order option would have made the delay much worse, so I skipped it.

The trade-off doing that was that the internal BT module is not user-installable (or at least so says Apple), leaving an external USB BT module as your only option if you don't get BT built in in the first place.

It would be nice if you could add internal BT yourself any time you like, even more so with the new G5 iMac, which cries out for BT keyboard and mouse... but also, unfortunately, cries out "BIG shipment delay!" if you dare add BT as a BTO option.

I second your post! The whole BT must be installed as a BTO is just plain dumb. Its clearly a way for Apple to drive sales towards its store away from other vendors.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    So, how many people here would buy an iMac if they knew that in, say, 18 months, they could spend US $500 to exchange their logic board for a new one with a G5 2.2 GHz CPU and a Radeon GamersWetDream chip (plus maybe a louder fan)?
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

That does raise the interesting issue of a user replaceable logic board. Something I don't think Apple has ever supported. Will it be possible to buy a new logic board with a faster GPU? Will that make economic sense? (Can someone do a cost breakdown of the iMac components?) How about a faster/cooler CPU when the next iteration of G5s comes out? Will Apple keep this form factor around long enough to make any of this practical? Will third parties be able to offer CPU upgrades?

I'm still cruising along with a B&W G3/350. Bought in 1999. It still runs the latest OS. With a bit of $ I can bump it up to a 1GHz G4, almost as fast as currently sold machines, and ATI just released a new video card for it. Can we expect this kind of longevity from the current iMac?

Apple endorsing user serviceablility makes the iMac more interesting - still too bad it has such weak video now.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    Making the CPU, GPU & fans one unit makes a lot of sense for a consumer device. Apple is able to sell consumer devices cheaper because the main logic board is less robust than what one sees in the PowerMac. All the current one can handle is what is soldered into place.

At the very least, a different CPU or GPU would require a different fan configuration. From a mass-marketing point of view, it makes sense to sell upgrades of entire logic boards.

This announcement (along with all of the other stuff that is replaceable) clearly indicates that the current iMac form is here to stay. In fact, I get the impression that this has been worked on for a long time; and the last iMac may have simply been a placeholder device until their new plan was ready. I think that the new iMac form will be THE form for a number of years to come; since Apple would have seen no need to go to all the work of making all these parts replaceable!

The average consumer could care less, of course; but will certainly care when something dies and they are told that it is easily (and relatively cheaply) replaceable.

For geeks, this changes the entire iMac landscape. People can buy a beautiful 20" LCD screen, in an amazing form factor; and be secure in the knowledge that in a couple of years they will be able to replace the logic board with whatever latest-and-greatest Apple is offering.

Perhaps I'm suffering from RDF, but I honestly think that this changes the whole discussion.

• Reply 14 of 60
    So I guess you will be able to order these new parts from Apple's website or something fairly easy?

Mike
  • Reply 15 of 60
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

So I guess you will be able to order these new parts from Apple's website or something fairly easy?

Yeah, see, I'm highly doubting that. Third-party processor upgrades are one thing but Apple holds on to logic boards like grim death! Purchasable logic boards... from Apple.... to replace your old one... which would be in perfect working order? Hahaha.

No no. Now that would be a new Apple. So instead of paying $500 for a processor (G4 pricing) you could, in theory, be spending $700-800 for a processor, logic board and ram?

This helps IT people, especially in schools if they chose the iMac as the eMac successor. Help customers by being able to replace parts easily then just having to order a whole new machine. But just going to Apple Store and having them deliver a whole new "core" to your door for you to install? WTF? Why not just start selling a headless machine and fire-up the clone market again?
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Talk about a nice little slap in the face for all of those whining about a new version of the cube and a headless-iMac.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

A list of parts that can be [installed] by the user includes: the LCD display, power supply, optical drive, hard drive, memory, AirPort Extreme card, and modem card.

Er, 95% of the desktop computers in the world has these user servicable parts.

Quote:

This could prove interesting if the G5 processor is on a daughter card w/socket and a graphics processor is on a daughter card w/slot or socket.

Also, one hopes that means that Apple can rapidly and continuously upgrade iMac components as they appear instead of waiting every 6 to 10 months. How about refreshes every 3 months with better components as they come?
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Mike

I agree this changes quite a lot.

I'd like to see 3rd party LCD's that, for a reasonable premium,

will guarantee ZERO bad pixels.

Also, to get the teacher discount- BTO BT, and 250 GB drive, I have to order from Apple. But then I cannot send it back if I get bad pixels.

At a retailer I know, I get 15 days return _NO QUESTIONS ASKED_

but they won't do BTO items.

WHO can fill me in about BTO with smallest RAM and smallest HHD so I can put these in myself ( 2 GB RAM and 250 GB HHD ) ?

ALSO : just what IS involved in soldering in a better GPU myself ?

Think XelerateUrMac will do some of this ?
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Yeah, see, I'm highly doubting that. Third-party processor upgrades are one thing but Apple holds on to logic boards like grim death! Purchasable logic boards... from Apple.... to replace your old one... which would be in perfect working order? Hahaha.

No no. Now that would be a new Apple. So instead of paying $500 for a processor (G4 pricing) you could, in theory, be spending $700-800 for a processor, logic board and ram?

This helps IT people, especially in schools if they chose the iMac as the eMac successor. Help customers by being able to replace parts easily then just having to order a whole new machine. But just going to Apple Store and having them deliver a whole new "core" to your door for you to install? WTF? Why not just start selling a headless machine and fire-up the clone market again?

Well,

what if Apple requires you to send in the old mother board ?

BTW, I would love to get MAYA Unlimited when it streets, with EDUCATION

pricing. But I am told, by a bar genius, that processing the projects is done by the CPU which would do fine --- but rendering motion might be an issue with the 5200 POS. ... any comments ?

Work-flow speed is not much of an issue for me as I am not a pro.

But playback IS important to me.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

So, how many people here would buy an iMac if they knew that in, say, 18 months, they could spend US $500 to exchange their logic board for a new one with a G5 2.2 GHz CPU and a Radeon GamersWetDream chip (plus maybe a louder fan)?

I'm first !!!!