spotlight + multiple languages

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
does spotlight support different languages for searching, or do you have to search for things in the languages the files where stored?

Explanation: For example if you are searching for files related to "city", can you also type in the same word in german, french, or any other language installed on your system?

I believe that such a function would help a lot, because there are millions of people out there that do not use english on a daily basis, but do have lots of english content on their Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

does spotlight support different languages for searching, or do you have to search for things in the languages the files where stored?

Explanation: For example if you are searching for files related to "city", can you also type in the same word in german, french, or any other language installed on your system?

I believe that such a function would help a lot, because there are millions of people out there that do not use english on a daily basis, but do have lots of english content on their Mac.

Uh...I think we're still a few years away from an engine that searches for a word and every possible translation of the word. It probably could be done today but the searches would be slow since it would have to go through translated words.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

Nope, Spotlight doesn't do that. Anyway, you can always use Sherlock to translate a word in English, and then perform a search using Spotlight.

Anyway, I haven't studied the Spotlight API yet, but it seems pretty expandable, so maybe it'll be possible for a third-party developer to include that feature in Spotlight (though it seems to me that expandability is limited to adding new metadata fields and new file formats, but i might be wrong...)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Sherlock! Why, how positively Pantheresque of you. I, for one, will be using Dashboard's nifty language translation widget.

• Reply 4 of 5
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Sherlock! Why, how positively Pantheresque of you. I, for one, will be using Dashboard's nifty language translation widget.

Do you know the languages it supports?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Do you know the languages it supports?

It goes by too quickly in the Expo demo to see exactly... but it looks like the standard collection as you might find in Google's Language Tools.