Need laptop for school... wait for Tiger and G5

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I need (well want) a laptop for school. At the moment I am looking at the Powerbook 17" G4 with panther, but was wondering if I should wait for tiger and the G5 powerbook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The question is "can you wait?"

Tiger is not due until June of 2005 at the latest. The Powerbooks are likely to be G5 based by then but that will do you know good if you really need a 'puter now.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    What will you be needing/using the laptop for? Have you seen the 17" model!? It's huge, I wouldn't lug that to school each day.

If you're not going to use Adobe Creative Suite or video applications then go for a PowerBook G4, hell you could do it on my 600Mhz G3. If you want to play games the current G4 is fine, i think ( i don't play a lot). The G5 in an iMac is actually quite excessive when you think that most people use it for the internet and word! (Garageband needs power though, and Apple's apps like power).

Anyway my point is what's the intended and future use, also how long do you expect to have it.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    If you are at least 18, you can sign up as a Student Developer. http://developer.apple.com/students/index.html

It costs $99 but you get os x free that you could sell and you get 20% off any apple computer. You just need to fax them your schedule or something to prove you are a student. You also get any updates to os x free during the next year. I am hoping they release tiger before march because after that I have to buy it.

I would suggest you go to an apple store or anoter local computer store that sells Apple computers to look at the PB. I wanted a 17" untill I actually saw it. It's very big. I decided to get a 15" and I am happy I decided to.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Dude forget the G5, and tiger. Grab that 12" G4 iBook. That thing is cool as sh*t.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Dude forget the G5, and tiger. Grab that 12" G4 iBook. That thing is cool as shit.

Amen. It can actually be used on those little half-desk pieces of shit they have in lecture halls! Not to mention survive student life.

Using a 17" PowerBook in a classroom would be kind of ridiculous. That fucker is huge.

I will be shocked if the PowerBook gets a G5 by February. So you'd be needing to wait at least this whole semester, and probably at least part of the next one, if not longer. You have to decide how much a semester or two's worth of computing is worth to you.

I got this iBook G4 800MHz around Christmas (a Christmas present from my dad, the day before he passed away actually). Two or three months later, they were updated to 1 GHz and double the cache and onboard RAM for the same price. Having the iBook for last semester was definitely worth that much (and sentimentally, having my Dad's last gift to me be something I take with me everywhere and will use daily for so long means a whole lot to me, but that's beside the point).

You also need to figure out what you're really going to be using this computer for. What is it you do with your computer (besides "games and stuff") that would require so much power?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    15" PB is the way to go.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    From MacRumors:

Quote:

With the introduction of the 2" thick iMac G5, many Mac enthusiasts' attentions have now focused on the PowerBook, and the hope of it moving to a G5 processor as well. In an interview with Tom Boger, Apple's worldwide product development director, The Mac Observer writes that Apple is unable to overcome certain engineering problems faced with making a smaller G5 chip to work in a portable.

The new iMac G5 (desktop) is thin, but (the G5) is not thin enough for a laptop right now. There are great challenges in putting a G5 processor in a laptop. The issues range from power to cooling and its overall size...You're not going to see a G5 in a laptop anytime soon.

Rumors about a G5 PowerBook have been circulating through the Mac web ever since the introduction of the original Power Mac G5. Apple has kept their position saying that the PowerBook would be a long time off, citing power and size constraints as a factor in moving the G5 to the PowerBook.

I'm very sure this is true from what I've heard from IBM. I think we'll be seeing new FreeScale G4s by the end of the year. Single core 2GHZ G4s 7400 chips in the top end. Dual core to come next year during the spring or early summer with a SoC design.

If you want a laptop, you may want to wait until October or November. I think we may see a refresh by then.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GeZe

Hi, I need (well want) a laptop for school. At the moment I am looking at the Powerbook 17" G4 with panther, but was wondering if I should wait for tiger and the G5 powerbook.

Unless you're a developer or someone in marketing or project coordination, Tiger won't hold a huge promise for you.

Why not buy the Powerbook (I'd recommend the 15", it might hang over the desk a little bit, but not much, and then when tiger comes out, buy it and upgrade.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I'm also thinkin' about buying a PowerBook G4, I'll go for the 15" because I'll be carrying around quite a bit, and the 12" is just too small for me \. I know the PB G5 is not worth waiting for but should I still wait for an PB update ? I dont know, if an upgrade occurs in the next 2 months, I'll wait, but not more than that..what do you think ?

thanks

peace []
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Anyone care to speculate on specs?

12 in PB bumped to 1.5, and will the iBooks be bumped to 1.2 and 1.4?

A refurb 12 PB at $1350 is a good deal, especially when a 12 in iBook refurb is $950. $400 more for BT, AE, 10gb, 33% faster cpu, and faster gfx, and dvi seems like a steal.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    My problem is actually one of use/need, not just want.

As I'm going to be using it as a mobile editing station/Effects rendering machine on set, I need as much power as I can get. Unfortunately, I won't be able to upgrade for the foreseeable future, and want to get as much for my money as I can. I'm less interested in the chip as I am in the memory bandwidth, serial ATA drives, new screens and other assorted goodies that will come with the G5 update. If they were able to get all of that and keep a G4, all's fine, but at this point, it's more about faster hard drive access, better screens, and a bigger path for memory (on the fly rendering, etc.)
  • Reply 12 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I have a question here, Power book vs. iBook: is the ibook acctualy more durable? if so then why is the more expencive unit made with a weaker enclosure?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I have a question here, Power book vs. iBook: is the ibook acctualy more durable? if so then why is the more expencive unit made with a weaker enclosure?

The iBooks plastic is more durable than the thin Aluminum of the PowerBook. They used the thinner/less durable material for the powerbook because it looks better.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I owned a rev a 17" powerbook and although I loved it to bits when working at a desk, I didn't feel right on my lap and was a bit of a pain to carry around.

I'm going to buy a 15" this time, only problem is I need it in three weeks but desperately want to wait for the Oct/Nov update. Seems harsh to have to buy one a month of two before they update!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lawrenceg

I owned a rev a 17" powerbook and although I loved it to bits when working at a desk, I didn't feel right on my lap and was a bit of a pain to carry around.

I'm going to buy a 15" this time, only problem is I need it in three weeks but desperately want to wait for the Oct/Nov update. Seems harsh to have to buy one a month of two before they update!

I was thinking the same thing - my company's budget has been put back till early October - damm shame to get a 1.5G 15" if theyre about to be refreshed.

Still this Ti400 has had its day - time to move on. I hope Motorola/Freescale can get faster G4's ASAP.

Anyway, the 1.5G sure wont be dissapointing.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    i think if they do a powerbook update in October/Nov its gonna be something small. Im defaintnly not thinking the G5 update will be then. I have a powerbook G4 15" 1.25 and its great.. all the apps run pretty dang well. When the new G5s come out ill just sell it and save a little to get the G5.. No biggy. But the thing is i dont think that will be for a little while.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    So how about getting the 12" iBook for now, and then get the G5 next year and sell the iBook? iBooks are in such demand that you won't have any trouble selling your old machine for a good percentage of what you paid.

I have a TiBook, and having had it for a while I'm kind of sad about its delicacy. I had a toilet seat iBook before and that machine was durable. The AluBooks look more solid, but I still think the iBook would hold up better.

The only fly in the iBook ointment is the low resolution of the 14" model. If they would put a better screen in the 14" iBook, it would be Apple's best portable.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by cory

i think if they do a powerbook update in October/Nov its gonna be something small. Im defaintnly not thinking the G5 update will be then. I have a powerbook G4 15" 1.25 and its great.. all the apps run pretty dang well. When the new G5s come out ill just sell it and save a little to get the G5.. No biggy. But the thing is i dont think that will be for a little while.

Yes, that's what i was expecting a G4 update - i dont expect a G5 Powerbook till WWDC 05.

But if the update is 2G - now that's worth waiting for, I just cant expect the 7447 to jump by that much, without i/o bus improvements.

I would also agree with cubist - if I were a student the ibook would be the go (12 or 14" - whichever your comfortable with).
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Yea ill keep my G4 till the G5 Comes.. small processor upgrades dont do a dramatic thing for the system<3
  • Reply 20 of 20
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cory

Yea ill keep my G4 till the G5 Comes.. small processor upgrades dont do a dramatic thing for the system<3

I've got a G3 and I NEED to upgrade soon (Creative Suite is just too slow), I get the money I need in Feb. It is worth waiting for the G5 right?!