Tokyo Rock!

newnew
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi everybody.

I'm typing this from the 4th floor of the Applestore in Ginza Tokyo. Being a european, this is the first applestore I've ever been to and it's incredible!

So is Tokyo. I don't think you can get more alien than here. I don't understand anything here. Hell, I can't even order food! :-) This must be how non-western imigrants feel like in europe or the US. except I have money, ofcourse.

If anyone have any tips on what not to miss while here, feel free to chime in!

Kampai!

New

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Go to the basements of any of the big department stores in Ginza (or anywhere else) and there is a huge food department. They have samples of most everything and you can stuff yourself silly for free while being able to experience more kinds of food then you ever thought existed. Don't be shy, you are a Gaijin and you can get away with almost anything!

If you go to Akihibara (the main areas selling electronics in Tokyo) don't miss the tiny shops in the building near the train station. It is a maze of shops selling everything from old vacuum tubes to every spare part imaginable.

Cheers
  • Reply 2 of 5
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Thanks! Im of to Akihibara tomorrow. Have to find a cheap powercord for my powerbook. :-)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I used to just like people watching. Try the Fugetsudo coffee shop down the street in Ginza. Or try a Tsubohachi. It is a drinking and eating chain restaurant for business guys. Actually, there are vast numbers of izakayas like this all over the country. Try hanging out in Harajuku or Shibuya in the afternoon or evening. Get up early in the morning and go to the Tsukiji fish market. Pretty amazing.

Have fun.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I used to just like people watching. Try the Fugetsudo coffee shop down the street in Ginza. Or try a Tsubohachi. It is a drinking and eating chain restaurant for business guys. Actually, there are vast numbers of izakayas like this all over the country. Try hanging out in Harajuku or Shibuya in the afternoon or evening. Get up early in the morning and go to the Tsukiji fish market. Pretty amazing.

Have fun.

it's been over 20 years since i was last on mainland japan, but i have to echo neutrino on the fish market. very neat but you got to get up very very early. be sure to take some time to visit some of the temples and at least go by the emperor's palace. for shits and giggle you might even want to go to tokyo tower. the view from the top is quite impressive. also, don't be afraid to use the train system. it's the only way to get around.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    In many trips to Japan I never visited the Tsukiji fish market because I believed the guidebooks that said you had to be there very very early. Last time I was there I decided to go later in the morning and just see what is going on. It was still very active when I got there at 9am and didn't diminish much in the hour I was there. I think all you are missing by not getting there at 4:30am is the auction so unless you like to see a bunch of yelling Japanese guys you can't understand don't be discouraged from going later. Around the market are some interesting shops too. If you still don't want to be bothered going there you can just check out my photos of the place here.