Help with Panther accounts...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there any way to setup a second account in panther, that has absolutely no limitations, access to all folders and such. Its such a pain to deal with shared folders when gigs and gigs of photos and tunes are already located within the admin folders. bascially, I want the second account to be another administrative account. Is this possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WookieMoFo

Is there any way to setup a second account in panther, that has absolutely no limitations, access to all folders and such. Its such a pain to deal with shared folders when gigs and gigs of photos and tunes are already located within the admin folders. bascially, I want the second account to be another administrative account. Is this possible?

Why not? However, what you are asking for will not solve your problem. Your problem is that your account doesn't have access to data in another user's directory. Administrators have a lot of power, but they don't get free run of the system. Only root gets that. However, it is a misuse of root to use it to manage data. I surmise that you placed your data not in an administrative area, but in root. If you have to, enable root to move those data to your account. You may be able to do it using the "sudo" command in the Terminal. Once you move your data to your directory, take care in managing it in the future.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    That completely flew over the top of my head!!! All my main apps are in the applications folder in my HD. All my data files (photos, tunes) are in my music/pictures folder in my user folder. Is this how to properly set it up? Im thinking for how much trouble it sounds, I might just leave it as is!

Out of curiosity, why do you want to refrain from doing everything from the root?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Out of curiosity, why do you want to refrain from doing everything from the root?

The root can ruin your system. Literally. One false step, and you may find yourself with a computer unable even to boot. If you are not sure what are you doing, leave the root in its deep sleep.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

And to come to your question. If I understand correctly what you ask, this is pretty simple actually. You create a user account, the directory (in this account) in which all data will be stored, and you change the permissions for that directory, so that all users can access the data. For example, from the terminal you can type:

chmod go+rx <name of directory>.

Alternatively, you can control the permissions from the Finder through the Info window for that directory.

This new account needs not to be an administrative one; it is simply an access privileges issue in another user's files.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    So, hopefully this will be my last question. What would a proper permissions setup look like via finder for the 2nd account, to say have access to the admins picture folder? I know there are 3 or 4 differect pull down menus, what gets what? Thanks in advance
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

So, hopefully this will be my last question. What would a proper permissions setup look like via finder for the 2nd account, to say have access to the admins picture folder? I know there are 3 or 4 differect pull down menus, what gets what? Thanks in advance

So, it looks like do you want to allow anyone to have access to the administrator's picture folder, right? If so, all you have to do is to login as administrator, open the Info window of the administrator's pictures folder and click the "ownership and permissions" triangle to reveal the "details" triangle. From there, you can adjust the permissions for "group" and "others" to "read and write" or "read only", according to your needs (by default permissions are set to "no access"). That's all. It is not a setting in the 2nd account, but in the account you need to access (administrator in your case).