Document reveals iMac G5 internal component layout

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited July 2015
A new Apple document reveals the guts of new iMac G5.

An Apple Computer document recently obtained by AppleInsider includes an image (below) of the internal layout of the new iMac G5, which may be of interest to some viewers.

Sources also indicate that Apple plans a live chat option for users who wish to take the do-it-yourself approach when upgrading or repairing their iMac G5. The live chat service is suggested to be phone or iChat-based, but tipsters are unclear of Apple's precise plans at the moment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    :D
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    Maybe a combo bluetooth/wi-fi card?
  • Reply 3 of 17
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robrippin

Okay smartie, what's the products model number?

Based on factors of elimination it was the only answer I could find. A search on the web does not reveal any such combo cards, so there is maybe another possibility?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    The BTO Bluetooth module is soldered onto the logic board at build time. It's not a user installable part. If you didn't get the Bluetooth module as BTO, then you'll have to buy an USB based one (ie, a dongle).
  • Reply 6 of 17
  • Reply 7 of 17
    The BT dongle will be sticking out the back and you'll never notice it.

As tightly engineered as the iMac is I can understand why there are some restrictions on the ability to add very much after delivery. The AirPort card is the most logical for an internal upgrade - especially with AirPort Express - and I think that it, and memory, will be the two things that will be installed in the home by new users after a few months with the iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Where is the GPU???
  • Reply 9 of 17
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    dunno...
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

The BT dongle will be sticking out the back and you'll never notice it.

Unless of course you want to hang the iMac up on your wall.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Unless of course you want to hang the iMac up on your wall.

Even if you do want to hang the unit on a wall you wont have a problem since you have to allow room for the power cord anyway.... so if you have to leave room for that then you'll have room for the tiny BT usb dongle too.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    well then thank god I ordered mine w/ the wireless keyboard and bluetooth module !

• Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by stingerman

Where is the GPU???

They decided that the CrapForce 5200 FX was so bad, that it would'nt do any harm to just remove it all together.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    About the Bluetooth module, if you look at the picture of the guts of the iMac, you can see two daughter boards in the lower left hand side between the Ethernet, modem ports and the Airport card. Both of them are bolted down and don't appear to be soldered on with one of them wrapped in black plastic. So, I was probably wrong about the Bluetooth module being soldered on. However, the only way to get Bluetooth after build time is still a USB dongle I think.

On the location of the GPU, I think it is underneath the G5 heatsink. It shouldn't be that far away from the processor and memory, so it looks like that is the only place for it to be.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

well then thank god I ordered mine w/ the wireless keyboard and bluetooth module !

heejheej, let's see who gets it first.

20" also, or 17"?

• Reply 16 of 17
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

heejheej, let's see who gets it first.

20" also, or 17"?

17" will do me fine.

It's just for administrative, entertainment and minor creative purposes.

I'm still on 1 15" CRT Imac now for that, so this will be a giant leap as it is.

cheers,

~ufo~

for all you haters, I think this iMac G5 design is waaaaaaaaaaay better than the iMac G4, though the latter had a couple of great things going for it, this new design is just more wholesome. Me likey a lot, good product.

Frankly I don't know what this graphic card bitching is.... I'm still on a crt iMac w/ an 8mb card and it looks just fine to me.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    There is a gorgeous, large image from Apple you can download which is a picture of the inside of the new iMac.

http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/imacf...agreement.html