Billy Gates vs Steve Jobs...gotta love it

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Have these two guys had some fun at the others expense over the years. Someone should wright a book just containing the numerous quotes and barbs these two have made.

Gates disses Pixar

Quote:

"Ask kids in the back of a car on a two-hour trip, 'Hey, would you like to have your videos there?' My kids would," Gates said. "I guess Steve's kids just listen to Bach and Mozart. But mine, they want to watch 'Finding Nemo.' I don't know who made that, but it's really a neat movie."

Ouch! score another for Billy G.

Apple responds

Quote:

"The iTunes Music Store is currently selling over 16 million songs per month (a rate of 200 million songs per year)," the company said in a statement. "How many songs will Microsoft's new online music store sell during its first month?"

Can we hire Tony Siragusa for the answer. "Goosegg!!!!!"

Honestly I love the little barbs that Apple and MS CEOs trade. Sure it's childish..but it's funny and gets me laughing. Computers don't have to be drab and boring and neither do the CEO's.

"Redmond, start your photocopiers" "Introducing...Longhorn"

"Cngrtltins Wndws95" (oldy but a goody)

"We make more money on every Apple sold than Apple does"

"I'd boot the iMac but we don't have that much time"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Microsoft is not a competitor you should ignore. ITMS will get a run for its money just by the sheer volume of pre-installed Media Players.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Microsoft is not a competitor you should ignore. ITMS will get a run for its money just by the sheer volume of pre-installed Media Players.

That's what journalists are trying to tell us right? That MS can somehow defy the basic physics of inertia. When it's obvious to many that it is far more difficult than many realize.

Inertia is the very reason why Macs cannot catch PCs. It's not price or performance it's ubiquidity.

Mark my words if Apple has %60 legal download marketshare by end of 2005 the race is all but over. The remaining %40 would have to be split amongst 3-6 companies with neither profiting much from the music.

Apple's run rate is around 16 million songs per month with more Euro stores coming and the iPod slated to do very well this fall shopping season.

The Laws of intertia state that the "chaser" has to have tremendous power to overcome that natural advantages given to the leader by being first to depart.

Looking at MSN Music It's obvious that this isn't the product to provide that huge boost. I still read people who aren't aware of the features of iTunes. For some reason they feel it doesn't support MP3 or cannot burn redbook CDs. When they find out it can and that it's free they're checking it out. I expect to see Apple continue to advertise and make deals and extend their lead.

I also expect more funny barbs being tossed about between Jobs and Gates as usual. This time though Gates will not have the upper hand. I'm converting anyone with a PC and Windows 2000 or above to iTunes. It takes me all of 3 minutes to show them why iTunes is cooler than anything they've used thus far.

Beating Netscape by bundling IE is not the strategy that will work here. Apple has a two pronged attack with iPods and AAC. Once you start buying from iTMS you are likely going to stay there. Add in Airport Express and hopefully a future home device and Apple is off to the races. By CES 2006 I hope to see native support for protected AAC in Alpine decks and other CE manufacturers.

The iPod Division should be a 2 billion in revenue earner in 2 years with licensing and a suite of supporting products.

I think Jobs' has Gates' number on this one.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Unless someone can make a better MP3 player and introduce better licensing of songs you OWN, Apple is pretty safe.

This game has nothing to do with more applications being available for an operating system that is deeply entrenched in your workplace. This has to do with consumer choice for personal items.

Can anyone name a personal printer that has over 70% of the home market? Nope. Because consumers buy what they think will work when they "know" they have a choice (with "choice" not being something to consider about operating systems). And right now, iTunes works.

Yes, this will get pushed out by M$ with OS upgrades, but I don't see Apple standing still. They are using the right amount of resources to keep this thing in front of people's faces and unless M$ comes up with a brilliant ad campaign - like the butterfly guy for MSN - it ain't going to become dominant.

Although, the stories I hear about buying the Beatles catalog may tip the scales to their favor. And that might be their only ace in the hole.

Either way, Jobs and Gates are having fun with music.

Next decade - movies and TV shows!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Apple is *not* safe- they have 60% of the market of current music downloaders - people who are savvy and aware enough to download and use iTunes. Microsoft has many more opportunities to "push" their service, and that is where the danger lies.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

Apple is *not* safe- they have 60% of the market of current music downloaders - people who are savvy and aware enough to download and use iTunes. Microsoft has many more opportunities to "push" their service, and that is where the danger lies.

Bullshit. Your post is powered by pure FUD. If we're talking current then Apple has a %70 marketshare for downloads and over %50 for digital players.

HP is going to be shipping out millions of PCs with iTunes preloaded and selling iPods directly. People stop putting your brain on hiatus and "think". Business is ruled by some of the very laws of nature that define physics. Intertia is hard to overcome in many areas. Look at the Xbox versus Playstation. Playstation has inertia and despite every attempt my MS shills to proclaim it a competitor Sony is still comfortable in the lead and the XBox 2 is unlikely to change that. Hence MS wishing out loud they could buy Nintendo...yeah right.

again in bold.

If Apple has 60% of the download market by end of 2005 the race is over.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

unless M$ comes up with a brilliant ad campaign - like the butterfly guy for MSN - it ain't going to become dominant.

yea, the butterfly gets an ipod

can any non geek/nerd/uber techie name a competitor to the ipod? NO

It is over, apple has done with iPod what they failed to do in 84 with the mac, they won mass mind share, like coke is more than a brand, but a Synonym with cola in general, iPood has become a Synonym of MP3 player.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfryer

well, lets see, the OEM<s are already pushing their own partnerships

Gateway (+emachines): Napster 2.0 and 150 Song Sampler

Sony: Sony music store

Dell: Musicmatch

HP/Compaq: ITMS

This will be like M$ works, it will exist, a few people will use it, but most will look for something that works.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I hear what everyone is saying about iTMS and iPod's marketshare but I seem to recall Netscape having roughly 80% of the browser market too.

Not entirely the same, but things can change. Albeit, I think Netscape was rather aloof and took things for granted.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I hear what everyone is saying about iTMS and iPod's marketshare but I seem to recall Netscape having roughly 80% of the browser market too.

Not entirely the same, but things can change. Albeit, I think Netscape was rather aloof and took things for granted.

yes, but consumers didnt have over 100,000,000 peices of netscape-only content.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

yes, but consumers didnt have over 100,000,000 peices of netscape-only content.

Yes...that analogy doesn't work. Netscape had no lockins beyond server extensions. Not quite like an iPod and AAC.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    It will certainly be an interesting battle. Apple has a great head start. They have terrific mind share (along with the market share). They seem to be playing things just right.

MS scares me, and they should not be underestimated. However it is important to realize that MS has ONLY won TWO battles...Windows and Office. Everything else is being supported (financially) by these two enourmously profitable monopolies.

The Xbox example is a great example. MS has poure tons of their (monopoly) profits into making a go of this and still are not there...and may never be.

The closest analogy to this current battle might be the migration from Word Perfect and Lotus 1-2-3 to Word and Excel. One of the key things that MS did to accomplish that was to offer file migration...Excel and Word could read WP and 1-2-3 files...and even write them for a while. Eventually MS just took over.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Yes...that analogy doesn't work. Netscape had no lockins beyond server extensions. Not quite like an iPod and AAC.

Yes, and this is exactly what MS did with IE. So many (crappy) websites that are IE only. Not necessary...just lazy developers. But they played right into Microsoft's hands.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The Gates' Finding Nemo quote is almost as good as the quote in my signature.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Yes, and this is exactly what MS did with IE. So many (crappy) websites that are IE only. Not necessary...just lazy developers. But they played right into Microsoft's hands.

You forget the key to the IE domination, back-end baby, the rise of IIS, and M$ dev tools like front page that generated script to intentionaly f*** up netscape.