Which Mac? (Target Marketing by Questionnaire?)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Several years ago, one of the Mac magazines (I think it was MacAddict.) ran a great article on the question that so many ask when Apple introduces a new Mac model: Which Mac should I buy? I wish there was a website that, by asking a series of questions and giving several possible answers to each question (multiple-choice format, in other words) and assigning a point value to each answer (20 questions, worth 5 points each, for example), would list the Mac models from most-appropriate to least-likely-to-make-the-reader-happy-with-his-or-her-final-purchase-choice. It would make answering that question easier for me, at least.

Color me frustrated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    That'd actually be quite simple for apple to do; just design a simple questionnaire page add it to the apple store under the tabs and call it "Mac Selection Assistant" or something similar. then it could show you the machines in the possible configurations/prices that would best be suited to your needs (oh how helpful this would be for EVERYONE!). They also probably have enough data to assemble such a page fairly quickly, and I'm sure their web developers and others that would be involved could put up that page in less than a week (graphics, very detailed tests, etc)

Imagine how helpful this would be to apple newbies, prosumers/amateurs, and professionals.

• Reply 2 of 7
    Such a thing was discussed on another forum, the people were more than vocal about defending the "perfection" of Apple's web sales solutions.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Apple has so few products to choose from and the price differences between them are more than obvious how could you not know which mac to buy...

For example if expandability is important to you, you can only get a powermac.

If you need a portable, price and screen size are the obvious discriminators, if you cant afford a 15" powerbook, and you need a larger screen then there is only the 14" ibook.

Other manufacturers have many different lines which are sometimes difficult to differentiate so the questionaire is actually helpful. For example, the differences between ibm notebooks is not immediately obvious and the prices are relativley close.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Apple has so few products to choose from and the price differences between them are more than obvious how could you not know which mac to buy...

For example if expandability is important to you, you can only get a powermac.

Aren't Powerbooks expandable?

If you need a portable, price and screen size are the obvious discriminators, if you cant afford a 15" powerbook, and you need a larger screen then there is only the 14" ibook.

What if you want to be minimalist (taking up less desk space) or want a 'book that can be both a desktop replacement and a portable?

Who's the intended market for the new iMac?

Other manufacturers have many different lines which are sometimes difficult to differentiate so the questionaire is actually helpful. For example, the differences between ibm notebooks is not immediately obvious and the prices are relativley close.

• Reply 5 of 7
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Okay, what I was saying basically, if you look at your requirements for a computer and your available cash it isnt difficult to see which mac you can buy.. the difficulty arises when you have needs that exceed your budget.

A questionnaire is completely unnecessary unless you dont know already what kind of computer you need. If that is the case then Apple has an imac waiting for you.

Oh and who do I think it is being marketed at ? easy, I think it is being marketed at women.

from the imac product information page when you click on the front page image of the imac

Quote:

or sync your cell phone address book while your phone is in your purse, 30 feet away. Impress your friends, confound your enemies ? wireless only looks like magic.

I suspect women have the last say in any major purchasing desicions in an average household so its important it appeals to them too.

• Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Okay, what I was saying basically, if you look at your requirements for a computer and your available cash it isnt difficult to see which mac you can buy.. the difficulty arises when you have needs that exceed your budget.

A questionnaire is completely unnecessary unless you dont know already what kind of computer you need. If that is the case then Apple has an imac waiting for you.

Oh and who do I think it is being marketed at ? easy, I think it is being marketed at women.

from the imac product information page when you click on the front page image of the imac

I suspect women have the last say in any major purchasing desicions in an average household so its important it appeals to them too.

I need a Mac I can work *and* play on, as you'll see later. (I wonder how many employers use Macs exclusively...and if there's a list of such employers somewhere.) Actually, the new iMac is growing on me. Its much-maligned graphics card is probably *much* faster than the one in my current iMac DV Special Edition (circa 1999); I've lived without knowing the difference between mirroring and spanning (and a second monitor) ever since my first Mac SE toaster Mac, so I could probably live without a second monitor; and down the road, in a few years, I could do what many Mac owners do & add a second Mac, say, a Powerbook, and network the two. Besides, I'll probably wait 'til Rev A of the new iMac comes out anyway, due to finances & not wanting to be one of the 'early adopters' who discover any things that need fixing on this new iMac. iMacs as 'entry level' be damned, the new iMac is worlds away from my G3 iMac, and it's not the 'toy' image it conjures up with such labels as 'entry-level.' I wonder how many businesses use iMacs. My current interest is graphic design, though I'm barely dipping my toe in that arena, and I wonder if the new iMac is up to that task. Asf for the software that comes with the new iMac, while I'm no musician, I'm intrigued by Garage Band. Now, I just have to figure out how to copy my very dis-organized iMac hard drive's contents over onto the new iMac...oh, and being able to 'go wireless' with the new iMac will be great, too. Also, I *loathe* the pit of snakes living under my desk, coming from my current iMac and one USB hub.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by justy

Imagine how helpful this would be to apple newbies, prosumers/amateurs, and professionals.

and even apple, that kind of market research could point out holes/misfits/places for improvement in their line up in real time.