Report claims Apple offered Sony an iTunes partnership deal

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs offered Nobuyuki Idei, chairman and group CEO of Sony, the chance for Sony to come aboard Apple's ITunes Music Store service, the Nikkei Sangyo Shimbun newspaper is reporting this week.

The offer, which was reportedly made when the two met at the Sony Open golf tournament held in Hawaii this January, would have allowed for joint operation of the service, the newspaper says.

"Jobs is reported to have wanted to bring the Sony brand into the service to maintain a competitive advantage over Microsoft, which launched a beta version of its MSN Music store earlier this week."

Neither company provided comment on the story.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Sony is the one company with "Not Invented Here" syndrome worse than the Apple of old. I'm not suprised they turned it down. It's always easy to track Sony...just look for the nearest format war.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Sony's CEO blew it big time. This news is going to cause all hell to be raised at their next annual meeting!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Agreed! Sony blew it big time. They have a huge problem in that their music business, hardware business and software business all hate each-other and poor Idei seems to be unable to do anything about it. Maybe Jobs should grab Sony and fix it too.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Jobs should make the offer again.

Such a partnership would be good for both companies. Sony would have to come to terms with their marketplace failure, of course.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Sony had the right approach with their music strategy...

Have a music store and music player that integrates well with each other. What I think wasn't the greatest idea in their strategy was to make any song their software or their music player play is the ATRAC format. All your other songs outside of their program (MP3s, AIFF, WAV, etc) are incompatible and must be encoded into their format. Which I have heard can take awhile if you want to bitrate to be of good quality.

Why force your customers to only be able to play one format on your hardware is beyond me. It just makes it more confusing and difficult on your customers to use.

Even iTunes and the iPod will play MP3, WAV, AIFF, and also AAC files.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    plan for apple: Wait for sony to tank

BUY THEM

spin off movies, TV production and music, after locking music into a VERY long term itunes deal

Keep hardware division, make PS3(keep the sony name on this) the missing link in iLife, thus smoke xbox2 and with ap-xpress, lock up the living room.

have apple-branded cameras/camcorders

KILL Vaio, strike new retail contract to put iMacs, powermacs, and powerbooks in their place.

Kill the whole tv/vcr/dvdplayer line, there are better and cheaper alternatives.

And give MEM STICK, A-Trak and minidisk a one way ticket to hell.

AND ONE MORE THING...

CONSUMER DIGIBETA CAMS...PLEASE...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

plan for apple: Wait for sony to tank

BUY THEM

spin off movies, TV production and music, after locking music into a VERY long term itunes deal

Keep hardware division, make PS3(keep the sony name on this) the missing link in iLife, thus smoke xbox2 and with ap-xpress, lock up the living room.

have apple-branded cameras/camcorders

KILL Vaio, strike new retail contract to put iMacs, powermacs, and powerbooks in their place.

Kill the whole tv/vcr/dvdplayer line, there are better and cheaper alternatives.

AND ONE MORE THING...

CONSUMER DIGIBETA CAMS...PLEASE...

Except for PS3 why buy Sony? Their only claim to fame is their now passé Trinitron TV's. Better Sony buy Apple at $50....total cost 15 billion (388 million shares x 50 - $5billion apple cash) and put Steve in charge
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I agree that Sony is on borrowed time. I can't say that Apple is in the right position to take it over outright, but the two niche players could form a strong market presence if Apple is capable of making the right decisions once in charge. Of course, unless Apple and Apple Corps have finally settled their differences, the latter would sue the former for just enough to take over Sony itself, then hand it over the Microsoft.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

Don't touch my MD!

/Al