Chat AV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Could youy please tell me can you use apple chat av with someone on a pc,and how do you do that is it on msn or somethink that is only on a apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    White66 makes a good point - I have never been able to achieve the so-called interoperability between iChat AV and AIM, no matter what version, and I don't know anyone who has.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    I have done it on both ends. It looks the same for iChat users and was very enjoyable. It stinks on AIM though. You get a little bitty window that you can't resize.... I am loosing heart with iChat though. When I come to school my iChat simply refuses to work... Yes I have tried every firewall combination apple suggests and had IT at school mess with it but no luck. I wish they would make it work like Skype. That program is fantastic. Perfect quality. Never a configuration problems... just works... any ways that is my ranting and raving

Teddy
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    iChatAV works well with a PC using AIM. The PC has to be running XP and have the latest version of AIM, and also a small video file on the AIM site.

As for the school problem, you IT guy would have to open the necessary ports for iChat.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Malokata

White66 makes a good point - I have never been able to achieve the so-called interoperability between iChat AV and AIM, no matter what version, and I don't know anyone who has.

I have done it, the first beta that was relesed, an apple isight owner or two called me(via a post on this forum) in aim on windows useing an old intel cam I found at a junk sale (AKA a box of random "doo-dads" that the goodwill people cant figure out)

It worked fine, the isight has awsome quality, I wish apple would port it to windows, if Apple controlled the client on both platforms, it would be a hell of a lot easier to sync up.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Teddy

I have done it on both ends. It looks the same for iChat users and was very enjoyable. It stinks on AIM though. You get a little bitty window that you can't resize.... I am loosing heart with iChat though. When I come to school my iChat simply refuses to work... Yes I have tried every firewall combination apple suggests and had IT at school mess with it but no luck. I wish they would make it work like Skype. That program is fantastic. Perfect quality. Never a configuration problems... just works... any ways that is my ranting and raving

Teddy

Odd, the beta of aim with video let you resize, shame that I lost the beta version when I re formatted my win box
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I don't have a video camera, my problem was trying to get audio chat to work. There's just no green phone. Once, I was able to get a sort of audio chat to work by doing a one-way video invitation from a beta of AIM, but from then on the option was grayed out.

I called Apple about it, they didn't really have any suggestions except for playing with firewalls, though it wouldn't work within a network. Eventually they said they didn't support AIM.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    Going from iChatAV to AIM on a PC, audio chat won't work, only if the PC has a cam connected.