Purchasing question for all ye sages

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Unless you really need some feature that the Powerbooks would give you, then I would look at gettin a refurbed iBook. You should be able to find a G4 933mhz or a 1ghz model for close to a grand. Then get another one in your junior year in college.

Both iBooks combined would roughly equal the cost of a new Powerbook now.

But this assumes that an iBook would work for you.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    blackwave,

Just curious, but did you end up making a decision one way or another?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

Unless you really need some feature that the Powerbooks would give you, then I would look at gettin a refurbed iBook. You should be able to find a G4 933mhz or a 1ghz model for close to a grand. Then get another one in your junior year in college.

Both iBooks combined would roughly equal the cost of a new Powerbook now.

But this assumes that an iBook would work for you.

The iBook is already obsolete due to its GPU not being supported in Tiger. As someone who's PowerBook wasn't supported by Quartz Extreme, this would be an important consideration for me.

I would say the 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 should hold you for most, if not all of the 5 years you are looking to get out of it.

I have a dual 500MHz celery I built in '99 that's still kicking and useable. Having a computer last 5 years, especially nowadays with 1+GHz processors shouldn't be a problem.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

The iBook is already obsolete due to its GPU not being supported in Tiger.

Good point. I wasn't aware of this, so thanks for pointing it out.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryukyu

Good point. I wasn't aware of this, so thanks for pointing it out.

No problemo, ryukyu. I don't want anyone else to go through what I did when I found out my sub-18 month old $3,500 laptop couldn't handle Quartz Extreme. To have your brand new laptop become obsolete in < 1 year would be just that more painful, especially since Tiger's specs are already public.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

No problemo, ryukyu. I don't want anyone else to go through what I did when I found out my sub-18 month old $3,500 laptop couldn't handle Quartz Extreme. To have your brand new laptop become obsolete in < 1 year would be just that more painful, especially since Tiger's specs are already public.

I don't mean to be OT, but what isn't supported besides Core Image?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Apple's only made public a few of the "over 150 new features" of Tiger, so they only feature I know of that current iBooks won't enjoy is Core Image / Core Video. BUT, considering how huge these new APIs are, I wouldn't want to be left out of these advancements.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

I guess my point is, that in the workforce, most people are used to using computers that we would consider ancient.

Right.

Quote:

Computers used as 'tools' are have lengthy lifespans.

Computers used as 'toys' loose their usefulness much more quickly.

Absolutely.

Quote:

When I got a dual 450 five years ago, I didn't envision myself being still satisfied with it in 2004. Yet I am.

Same with my BLUE DREAMY POWERMACHINE iMac G3 350 CRT! 8)

I love this machine so much. Something like emotional rescue...

Ok, i've got also a PB 1gig
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackwave

Alright, so, I *absolutely* need a new computer a.s.a.p. ...

Do you all have any suggestions that might ease my guilt and concern?

Aaaaactually, i'd run for a refurbished iBook (12 or 14), which will undoubtedly handle all your needs stunning good.

An' more You will buy a computer with a soul.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Im using a 5 year old iMac G3 400DV and it works just fine with OSX. Get one on ebay for $400 and save the rest of the money for a car.

New Macs are a ripoff
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Blackwave,

My question to you....

Are your parrents writing "you" a check for x budget meaning you get to keep the difference between a cheaper iBook or refurbed Powerbook? If not, definitely have them get you a tricked out PB 1.5 Gig with 128MB VRAM, 5400 rpm HD, RAM (buy yourself, it comes with reasonable 512MB), a great durable bag, security chain, and an Airport Extreme router. I just bought that set up and couldn't be happier.

My last computer purchase was July 1999, just over 5 years which was a PowerMac 400 MhZ G4 "Sawtooth". The last year and a half was hard because lots of software had higher demands than I could reasonably handle without some upgrades, but it has handled OS revisions up to Panther (minus Quartz Extreme) and the Adobe Suite ok, until CS, which runs really sluggish.

As to affording a computer sooner than 5 years, my advice:

1) Save at least $20 a month, ALWAYS, and put into the bank into a CD account that rolls over once a month, making it hard as hell to impulse spend.

2) Make your parents a deal that if your grades are B or higher, that they match what you save on a dolloar for dollar level.

3) If your friends want you to "produce" for their band...CHARGE MONEY! Most people on these boards make money of their machines and can justify upgrading their computers more often and get more toys...errr uh peripherals!

Hope this helps.