iChat - When will it work with MSN

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've heard that MSN is opening up to AOL and Yahoo. This is is great because I dislike MSN and would love to use iChat as my exclusive messenger. So, does anyone know when we can add MSN buddies to iChat?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    Are you referring to this:

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/07/1...tid=187&tid=95

If so it's just an MS application you can install which converts an MSN message into an AIM message and then sends it out, or vice versa. There isn't any new protocol compatibility.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    MSN---Microsoft--- wil not open itself to anything. Get over it. MS is an evil, Law breaking corporation. Why would they want to make life easier for the average joe?

MS wants you to subscribe to all of their services, so they can leach on your life-force without actually doing any work.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

MSN---Microsoft--- wil not open itself to anything. Get over it. MS is an evil, Law breaking corporation. Why would they want to make life easier for the average joe?

MS wants you to subscribe to all of their services, so they can leach on your life-force without actually doing any work.

Wow! And I thought I had issues with M$

• Reply 4 of 9
    treetree Posts: 30member
    that sucks. most of my friends are on messenger. i was really hoping ichat could be my exclusive messenger. oh by the way, the MS hack is priceless.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    There are other programs out there that do many services in one, such as Adium (which I prefer over ichat anyway).
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Apple, AOL, and even Microsoft should work together and create an IM standard so that no matter what platform or client you use you can chat with everyone, which is what the web is suppose to be, open.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    It's AOL you can blame. MSN Messenger was originally compatible with AIM too... but AOL bitched about it and so they took the feature out.

For once, Microsoft isn't (entirely) the guilty party!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by argocanuck

Apple, AOL, and even Microsoft should work together and create an IM standard so that no matter what platform or client you use you can chat with everyone, which is what the web is suppose to be, open.

That's what Jabber is for. And iChat in Tiger has (rumoured) Jabber support.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Services like MSN, etc. work based on a central server. Use P2P based software like Skype instead. It won't be long before someone introduces video chat on P2P based messaging software.