supermarket discount cards: Am i nuts?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In the past I have had no trouble getting supermarket "gold/plus/pennysaver" cards, usualy useing false info, anything from Theodore Roosevelt to Homer Simpson But today I hit a snag, when I asked for a card, I was given and filled out a form, like normal, eccept for a line labled "SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER(optional)" I left it blank and gave it to the clerck, she told me it was requiered, I politely said that the form labels it optional, she called her boss, the boss told me it was requiered for contests, I responded saying "I dont care about contests, I just want the cheap MT dew, (18 bottles for $8 )" He said that I could give My DLN if I wished, but he would need to see it to confirm the validity.

Ipolitely took back the form, and said no thanks.

thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Don't drink MT Dew, it tastes like arse!

• Reply 2 of 22
    Now the serious answer:

I never give out personal information that is not required. We all know how safe that information is
  • Reply 3 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hmmm, cheap Mountain Dew, DNA on file in the secret government labs...

It's a tossup, I guess.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Hmmm, cheap Mountain Dew, DNA on file in the secret government labs...

It's a tossup, I guess.

I said DLN not DNA...DLN==Drivers License Number
  • Reply 5 of 22
    At least he didn't ask for a semen sample
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Find another supermarket and give feedback to the head office for this supermarket.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Why not write down the wrong SNN?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I agree with Scott, write down the wrong SSN. Nobody carries around SSN cards anymore (umm right?) so how would they be able to check?

Either that or everytime you get up to the cashier say "oh darn, I forgot my club card!". Usually they'll punch in the store card for you.

Or you could always pick pocket an old lady
  • Reply 9 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    A lot of times they give people multiple cards, a keychain one and a credit card sized one. See if a friend or family member has a spare you can use.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    While any business can ask for your Social Security number, there are very few entities that can actually demand it -- motor vehicle departments, tax departments and welfare departments, for example. Also, SSNs are required for transactions involving taxes, so that means banks, brokerages, employers, and the like also have a legitimate need for your SSN.

Most other businesses have no legal right to demand your number.

However, it's important to note that they also don't have to do business with you should you refuse to provide it.

Quote:

I agree with Scott, write down the wrong SSN. Nobody carries around SSN cards anymore (umm right?) so how would they be able to check?

This on the other hand is a violation of USC 18.1.47 Sec. 1028.

Punishable by not more than 15 years in a federal prison.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

Also, SSNs are required for transactions involving taxes, so that means banks, brokerages, employers, and the like also have a legitimate need for your SSN.

Which would explain why they wanted it for contests.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

This on the other hand is a violation of USC 18.1.47 Sec. 1028.

Punishable by not more than 15 years in a federal prison.

Yes, that is why I refused to give them any SSN or DLN, but provideing false name is not a crime, so long as it isnt to a law enforcement officer, taxes or in a court of law.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Which would explain why they wanted it for contests.

I trold them I didnt care about the contests and it said optional, If I won a big prize i may be willing to furnish more info, but not untill.

But how could they contact me at 654-1234
  • Reply 14 of 22
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    If the supermarket was only interested in rewarding and encouraging repeat customers (course that is not what they are after, but let's hypothesize a bit here), they should have an anonymous frequent buyer card that you pay $X for up front, and that expires after a year. For showing the card, you would get a flat Y% discount on every purchase, and be eligible for special offers. Then if you were interested, you could give your personal info, and get some more discount for that.

I'm not worried about identity theft, and in this regard (food purchases) not worried about my privacy either, but I think the bonus cards we got in Finland are outright silly. They don't cost anything to get, so everyone has a card from every major food chain. When every customer has a card, the discounts have to be minuscule. It would be better if none of the stores had any cards, or if some of them had a "serious" card that would actually make a difference in what you pay. Now we just lug three useless pieces of plastic.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    The supermarkets here are sort of sneaky, they take a $2 item, mark it $3.99 and then requier the card to get the fair price of $2.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I have noticed that alot of stores ask for your phone # so you can recieve discounts. WTF, how they gunna get the coupon to me?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I have noticed that alot of stores ask for your phone # so you can recieve discounts. WTF, how they gunna get the coupon to me?

Well, they cant get you at all if you put down a false name and 555-1212

My only consern is that if I use a fake "value" card and a real check or credit card, do they cross referance the data and fix the "incorect" info?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

If the supermarket was only interested in rewarding and encouraging repeat customers (course that is not what they are after, but let's hypothesize a bit here), they should have an anonymous frequent buyer card that you pay $X for up front, and that expires after a year. For showing the card, you would get a flat Y% discount on every purchase, and be eligible for special offers. Then if you were interested, you could give your personal info, and get some more discount for that.

I'm not worried about identity theft, and in this regard (food purchases) not worried about my privacy either, but I think the bonus cards we got in Finland are outright silly. They don't cost anything to get, so everyone has a card from every major food chain. When every customer has a card, the discounts have to be minuscule. It would be better if none of the stores had any cards, or if some of them had a "serious" card that would actually make a difference in what you pay. Now we just lug three useless pieces of plastic.

I think it's a ploy by the oil companies to force us to carry these oil products (plastic cards) and even sign up for them!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I think it's a ploy by the oil companies to force us to carry these oil products (plastic cards) and even sign up for them!

Yes, it all makes sense now....Cheney=big oil=big grocery cards=big savings=more money for a gas guzzling SUV...

You have really thought this through...
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Yes, it all makes sense now....Cheney=big oil=big grocery cards=big savings=more money for a gas guzzling SUV...

You have really thought this through...

It goes deeper than that.... Alien conspiracy=Cheney=big oil=big grocery cards=big savings=more money for a gas guzzling SUV=Earth turned into a polluted desolate planet ripe for colonization of the CO2 breathing half marsupial alien scum from planet X-667.