What about the little things?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
These are some of the small but significant improvements that I would like to see from Apple:

First on my list is a two button mouse, preferably with a laser-guided tracking system, and both with and without a cord. This might also help some Windows users? switch.

PCI Express would also be nice, especially for graphics, and since Tiger will unload a lot of work to the graphics processor, PCI Express has a much higher bandwidth from the graphics processor back to the system than AGP 8X.

SATA controller with support for command queuing, this wouls increase the speed a little, and if it is introduced in the PowerBooks then it might also save battery life, since the HD doesn?t have to spin as much.

SATA for the combo and super drive, just a nice geek factor

An interchangeable graphics format, for laptops and the IMac. This would help in upgrading the graphics card when new formats arrive, and it also gives Apple an opportunity to deliver the computers with different factory installed components.

These are the most significant small improvements that I can think off.

What do you think, are there any other small improvements that should be added to this list, or should some of them be removed?

Have fun thinking about the small but significant improvements!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timmy

First on my list is a two button mouse, preferably with a laser-guided tracking system, and both with and without a cord. This might also help some Windows users? switch.

If you're a Windows user, chances are you can take your old, 2-button mouse and plug it into your Mac and it works. My mom has a Dell and her microsoft mouse (optical, 2 buttons and scrollwheel) work perfectly on my Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

An interchangeable graphics format, for laptops and the IMac. This would help in upgrading the graphics card when new formats arrive, and it also gives Apple an opportunity to deliver the computers with different factory installed components.

Cross this one off your list. It'll never happen. This is utterly contrary to the design philosophy of the all in one design. Apple doesn't want anyone upgrading the all in one designs. They are designed to be produced cheaply without any meaningful upgrade vectors. They want you to buy a new box. Not upgrades for the one you already own. That doesn't put money in their coffers. However, they do know that there is a fine line here and they have probably made the new iMac G5 is as serviceable as it is to placate the criticism they have long endured because of this philosophy. Still, You can't upgrade the video hardware in the iMac G5. it communicates with AGP8x but the video hardware is on the motherboard. (pancake design) Now, for your average non technical computer user there is nothing wrong with this design and philosophy. You give up hardware variance for economy. For this class of user the Screen saver or iTunes visualizer will be the most graphically intensive process they will ever run. And really the new iMac is more machine than they will ever need.

If the video upgradeability bothers you. Then the iMac wasn't designed for your purchasing demographic. Go look at a tower instead. Don't go for an iMac/laptop you'll never be happy.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Plague Bearer

If the video upgradeability bothers you. Then the iMac wasn't designed for your purchasing demographic. Go look at a tower instead. Don't go for an iMac/laptop you'll never be happy. [/B]

I mostly agree, but you have to admit that there's quite a price difference between the lowest-priced iMac and the lowest-priced tower. Factor in an equivalent monitor, and it's practically double...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    The reason why I would like Apple to make a 2 button mouse is because nothing beats apple design when it comes to computer parts and accessories. The two buttons work, so why not include them in the design of an original Apple mouse?

About my wish for an interchangeable graphics format:

I would think that Apple calculates, how they will make more money, and they have probably come to the conclusion that the way the computers are designed now, gives the biggest profit. But it is also the least flexible, the IMac is introduced with only one option fore graphics over the entire line of IMac?s. I think that apple could sell more IMacs if they let the customers have more than one solution of graphics to choose from.

I beet that there is more than one potential customer, that will think twice about buying the IMac, just because of the graphics. Even if Apple didn?t allow us consumers to change the graphics later on in the computers life, they should at least let us (customers) order it with a better graphics option from the start.

Maybe the reason for this is the chip supply, but that?s only speculation.

One more thing for my list:

A drivebay or multibay for laptops, so you can fit an extra battery, and thereby get twice the battery life. This is a very nice feature when you are on the move a whole day, and you either don?t get near a wall outlet or you don?t want to carry your power supply with you. This would be a feature that has the potential to convince mere people to bye an Apple laptop.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

The reason why I would like Apple to make a 2 button mouse is because nothing beats apple design when it comes to computer parts and accessories. The two buttons work, so why not include them in the design of an original Apple mouse?

Using a one button mouse forces application designers to write their applications with one button in mind. That generally keeps designers using good design. No menu options hidden away in a right-click because your user base doesn't have a right-click. Instead, the options are put in the menu bar where they belong.

Windows should be forced to get rid of the right-click. I'm convinced it would make the machine 100 times more useable.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I'm convinced it would make the machine 100 times more useable.

How so?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Windows should be forced to get rid of the right-click.

It's not enough that comrade Jobs tries to force Mac users into this one button mouse version of paradise, now comrade bunge wants to force Windows users onto this vision of paradise.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Ghost^Killa..?

Could it be..?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Unnering. Have you got some kind of detector built in or what?

Edit: I'm sure of it. Never met Bunge before, 2 posts in ... has all the hallmarks.