for developers...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm studying computers engineering at university and I'm thinking of buying a PowerBook G4 (probably the 15" one) to help me with my works. I was wondering if you guys that are in this area of work did get any problems due to software not being compatible with mac, or any other kind of problems that made you think "hmmm..maybe I did the wrong choice by choosing a mac"...I'm afraid I'll spend a lot of money and then regret it guys. Come on, I bet you all felt afraid when you first thought of buying your first mac right ? give me some advice, I'm kinda fresh to macs so...I just ask for a piece of advice from you (sorry, my english isn't very good)

PS: this year I'll be working on C/C++ and assembly mostly, what software do you recommend? I used to work in linux in my desktop, should I install it on the laptop? or OSX has all the things I need ?

thanks

peace []

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    If you're going the CS route, a Mac is the *best* choice you could make, hands down. I'm finishing my PhD in CS, and I have never, not once, regretted buying it.

You don't need Linux, MacOS X comes with everything you need: gcc, PHP, Python, Ruby, bash, tcsh, you name it, it's included.

It *is* Unix at the core, after all...

It just happens to be a Unix that you can run MS Office on so you can actually read those documents you get sent from the university administration...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rara Posts: 623member
    The *one* time I've been forced to use a non-compatible app (I'm a 4th year CS major), they had it running under WINE on their Linux machines, so I was just able to use x-forwarding in ssh through X11 and run it from home. OS X is great for CS.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    And there are additional source ports available for applications you may need that aren't ported to Mac OS X proper. Fink coupled with Apple X11 should fill in any holes.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

(sorry, my english isn't very good)

Wanea. I love it when you guys say this. You write better than many Americans and it's not your native language. Well done! I'm buying a Mac also for my CS work. There's nothing that I'll be limited in. I'll use Eclipse for Java work and like Kickaha said everything else is equally available toolwise. Best of luck to you.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    thanks for the support guys, I hope I'll love my new mac has much has you love yours

just one question..what does CS stand for? I know it has to do with the area I'm working in and besides not knowing exactly what it means I understood your comments don't worry eheh
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by wanea

just one question..what does CS stand for? I know it has to do with the area I'm working in and besides not knowing exactly what it means I understood your comments don't worry eheh

Computer Science
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Actually, I was just curious what CS has to do with Computer Engineering. Everyone here realizes that these are practically completely unrelated majors, right?

CS is Computer Science. Programming, Algorithms, Java, Obj-C, C

Computer Engineering is Electrical Engineering with some extras. You learn how to build computers, right down to the transistors. The and then maybe you'll do some hardcoding of instruction sets.

In any case, I am a CS major, I've been going to school for a week, and the only problem I have is with accessing my filespace on the WinXP/Novell Network. (Which anyone can advise for, if they'd like)
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Actually, it depends on the school and program.

Here at UNC, it's just CS... but we have an in-house hardware design lab that send out chip designs for fabbing, and builds all of the electronics we need, and classes are offered in it. It's a lot of fun.

Over at NCSU, I believe that it's a CE/EE program... but they have a solid CS component as well.

UNC's program was created almost out of whole cloth, while UW's spawned off of their Math dept, and NCSU's off of their EE dept.

Each school has its own strengths.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

Actually, I was just curious what CS has to do with Computer Engineering. Everyone here realizes that these are practically completely unrelated majors, right?

CS is Computer Science. Programming, Algorithms, Java, Obj-C, C

Computer Engineering is Electrical Engineering with some extras. You learn how to build computers, right down to the transistors. The and then maybe you'll do some hardcoding of instruction sets.

In any case, I am a CS major, I've been going to school for a week, and the only problem I have is with accessing my filespace on the WinXP/Novell Network. (Which anyone can advise for, if they'd like)

I had an internship this past summer who's network was Novell- the only solution I found and it worked, but was a bit skechy is this...

ProSoft

They have a free trial version.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    btw, for the coders the PB 12" is nice for carrying around all the time..but is the screen big enough to spend hours writing code ? If I buy one I'll surely connect it to a 17" monitor I have at home, but whille I'm away from home I'll have to work all the time with the 12" lcd..give me some lighs guys! I just dont wanna make a buy that I can regret int he future :P

thanks
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by wanea

btw, for the coders the PB 12" is nice for carrying around all the time..but is the screen big enough to spend hours writing code ? If I buy one I'll surely connect it to a 17" monitor I have at home, but whille I'm away from home I'll have to work all the time with the 12" lcd..give me some lighs guys! I just dont wanna make a buy that I can regret int he future :P

thanks

The 12" powerbook comes with a mini-DVI connection. I'm not sure if it comes with the mini-DVI to VGA adapter in the box, but it's available.

The 12" is capable of doing mirror mode and screen spanning which is nice. I have a 15" and a 12" and I take the 12" everywhere and the 15" sits on my desk. I'm keeping the 12" and selling the 15" to get the new iMac.

Peace.

15" PowerBook
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I did all my coding for my CS degree on my PowerBook. As has been mentioned before, OS X comes with all the programming tools and compilers you will need for most courses.

My CS consisted of Java, C, and ASM. I had to download SPIM (MIPS emulator) for my ASM class but so did the Windows folks. I never had any problems with moving my source between platforms at all.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Where I work W2K (active Directory) and Novell we use Dave and samba.