Changing order of Network connections

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi y?all

I am a total MAC newbie, so be gentle with me... (I am however an MCT/MCSE/etc yadayadayada so I know my IP from my IPX)

My friend came around to my house the other day, and we plugged her MAC Laptop running OSX into my PC Network. We configured her Ethernet connection with appropriate settings to allow her to get out onto the internet through my router. However, her machine insisted on trying to dial out on her modem for the first five minutes. Eventually, (as if by magic), it decided to use the Ethernet connection, and all was well. Until we switched it off.

Upon turning it back on, it insisted going through the same process. On looking at the network settings in the system preferences, the modem was at the top of the list. Once it had eventually come to the conclusion that it should use the Ethernet connection that connection moved to the top.

So my question is, how can I change the order of these devices, so that it attempts to use the Ethernet connection first time?

TIA

MarkE

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Go to Network Preference Pane, and under the "Show:" Dropdown menu, choose "Network Port Configurations." Now, you can drag the different connections in the order you want them (or entirely disable the modem)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Splendid

Thanks for that...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    owenowen Posts: 21member
    Thanks from me too. The Internet Connect alert had been bugging me for the last few days whilst I had no Airport connection.

Cheers

Owen
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Network connection order is also important if you have multiple ip addresses.

I have the benefit of using verizon dsl, which lets multple computers connect without NAT ( each computer gets a verizon ip address ). This makes life very simple, just plug machines into your switch and turn on dhcp. However, rendezvous only works with ip addresses in the same subnet, which you dont get. The solution is to create a second ethernet configuration with a private ip address for each machine on the network. This works fine for programs like ichat, but printer sharing just wont work. Turns out the printer binds to the first interface in the configuration list, just reorder them, and it will share on the private ip instead of the public one.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

...we plugged her MAC Laptop...

What's a Media Access Control Laptop?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

What's a Media Access Control Laptop?

The machine you have to use to program the vchip in your tv???