Want to process audio on your Nvidia GPU?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Soon you will be able to. BionicFX will allow you to do some heavy number crunching on your Nvidia GPU. It translates audio into a data format that the GPU can understand and then processes effects. BionicReverb will be the first product to ship next year. If this works as reported musicians will be able to utilize 40Gflops of power to process audio

Hmmm I wonder if this guy has patented this stuff because if it works it's going to be huge. I'd love to see GPU power used for audio.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I imagined a similar thing a couple years ago, with the G4 Processor and non-vector calculations.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Check out this website --> http://www.markmark.net/ to see how someone used their GPU for computational purposes. (This link courtesy of Kickaha from an earlier thread)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Computational CoreVideo "filters" anybody?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Computational CoreVideo "filters" anybody?

That's the first thing I thought of when CV/CI was introduced. Cheap SMP for the PowerBook anyone?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Yes very interesting. The ability to take something non-graphical in nature and transmogrify it into something else with much haste is interesting. I know we're talking "ones" and "zeroes" here but the immense power of the GPU is just now being tapped. How many other unique uses will arise?

I heard their might be patents on this technology however. I wonder who owns them.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Yes very interesting. The ability to take something non-graphical in nature and transmogrify it into something else with much haste is interesting. I know we're talking "ones" and "zeroes" here but the immense power of the GPU is just now being tapped. How many other unique uses will arise?

I heard their might be patents on this technology however. I wonder who owns them.

Exactimundo! Everything in digital form is represented as 1s and 0s. It's the significance we add to those bits that make the bits a graphic file or a number or an equation or a checkbook balance. As far as the GPU is concerned, it's playing with bits.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I know this is off topic but I don't want to make an entire thread for this question...

An AI news thread about 10.4 Tiger stated that

"The version of OpenGL that will ship with Tiger will include better support for pixel buffers, which lets developers perform offscreen rendering with OpenGL. For example, developers could create a pixel buffer to store a texture that may be applied to hundreds of different objects in a video game, though the texture would only be processed once."

Will this mean that games will receive a performance boost under Tiger?