Report: Nvidia at root of 30-inch Apple Cinema Display delays

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It's just another delay in Cupertino, or is it? Surprisingly, industry sources aren't beating on Apple over its latest display woes.



Following reports that Apple Computer has delayed its new 30-inch high-definition Cinema display into October, The Inquirer is reporting that the company's third party graphics card supplier Nvidia may be to blame.



According to the report, Apple is "raring to go" forth with the new displays, but Nvidia is unable to produce stable versions of its new GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL card, which are required to power the 2560x1600 pixel mammoths.



"With 6800 Ultras in short supply on the PC, and the marketing machine telling everyone to buy 6800GTs, this special edition 6800 Ultra must be a niche of a niche of a niche - and possibly even less viable to produce."



The report also notes the massive size of the graphics card, suggesting that it is neither cheap nor easy to manufacture.



Based on a statement published on the Apple online store, customers who plan to use the card must automatically surrender an additional PCI slot. "Due to size of this advanced graphics card, the adjacent PCI or PCI-X slot will be blocked and cannot be used. This reduces the number of available PCI or PCI-X slots from three to two."



Apple recently informed customers that it now hopes to ship its 30-inch display, along with the Nvidia graphics card, on or before October 25th.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 34
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That story is obviously somewhat Bull sh*t because it contends that Nvidia manufacturers, and supplies graphics cards. Nvidia does not manufacturer graphics cards.



    IBM manufacturers the GPU for nvidia now, and the cards are manufactured by someone different. Nvidia designs the GPU which is working so I don't see Nvidia as to blame here. I wonder who designed the card itself? Apple, and Gainward maybe?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:

    Originally posted by onlooker

    That story is obviously somewhat Bull sh*t because it contends that Nvidia manufacturers, and supplies graphics cards. Nvidia does not manufacturer graphics cards.



    IBM manufacturers the GPU for nvidia now, and the cards are manufactured by someone different. Nvidia designs the GPU which is working so I don't see Nvidia as to blame here. I wonder who designed the card itself? Apple, and Gainward maybe?




    True!



    NVidia designs chipsets, which it licenses to board makers.



    As I've always understood it, Apple is responsible for designing and manufacturing the actual board, as well as writing and maintaining the necessary drivers.



    So, Apple itself is probably the culprit.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,215member
    Wrong fellas.



    Nvidia does make OEM boards that the many manufacturers can use. If they want to add specific functions then they must do the work themselves and writer the drivers but Nvidia does make boards. The 6800 Ultras are constrained everywhere. Apple has nothing to do with this.





    Funny how people love taking swipes at Apple. Why don't we just blame terrorism on Apple and shut them down \
  • Reply 4 of 34
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That still does not prove for fact that NVidia is to blame. Gainward used to supply Apple with their Geforce cards in previous years, and I still don't think that nvidia has the facilities to manufacture a full product line of graphics cards. But if you say so.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,215member
    I will search and see if I can get confirmation later. I believe the lowend cards are mainly OEM desings from Nvidia. However I doubt they have an OEM for the Dual Link DVI cards .
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Die Nvidia, DIE!



    Lemon BOn BOn
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Well everybody, to guess the NVIDIA card was the problem is not new. Way not new. 1. I give Apple credit for holding off shipping the 30" displays. Good move. And a very interesting No.2. On the Apple boards there are now people reporting that their G5 WITH THE 6800's have been rescheduled from 10/25 BACK TO 9/17! I have been unable to confirm this with my own order BUT ...... I believe Apple moved this out to 10/25 for insurance. Insurance that they wouldn't have to move it out yet again. They'd have the time to fix what ever it is. If, if Apple was able to start shipping the 6800's before 10/25 their customers, including myself, would be most pleased.



    Does Apple have a problem with the 6800's and therefore the 30" display's? YUP! At $3,900.00 a pop for the 6800 & 30" display don't think for a second that over and above making their customers happy that Apple doesn't want to make their stock holders happy with big numbers for this quarter which ends on Sept. 30. They, I believe, are sitting on a big number of 30" displays waiting for this kink to be fixed. That my friends will also hurt their bottom line this quarter.



    Then let us look at NVIDIA. these people were behind the tech curve for a long time. The 6800 brought them back to the top. Then, just imagine the effect on their bottom line to have a customer like Apple using their boards! Requiring their boards!



    NVIDIA or Apple or both, who cares! Why is it necessary to find someone to blame? Anyone who doesn't understand that this is far more than just the 6800 needs a dose of reality. You can believe the best minds at NVIDIA and Apple are 100% devoted to fixing this what ever it is! There are careers depending on this working and with NVIDIA quite possibly the entire company becoming an "also ran" for many, many years.



    I am not pleased by having to wait for delivery on my system but I am pleased with Apple for having the courage to step back and be honest, the 10/25 date. They gave themselves enough time at risk of real anger by going out another month to insure they'd find the problem rather than break another promise and that takes balls.



    You can also bet if they do fix this kink even the cleaning people will be helping to ship these out the door before Sept. 30! The reschedule from 10/25 to 9/17 above might be "imaginary" BUT there's got to be enough pressure within Apple and NVIDIA to ship prior to 9/30 that it just might, just might be true. I'll be the first to admit I want to believe it is!



    The blame game is a waiste of time. Apple is doing very well handling a very serious problem.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    As someone who ordered a G5 with this card, three weeks ago, I wish they would sort out whatever probs they are facing and just fix the FVCKER!!!! It is panful to have to wait three months for something I have paid in full for.



    iDunno.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:

    Originally posted by iDunno

    As someone who ordered a G5 with this card, three weeks ago, I wish they would sort out whatever probs they are facing and just fix the FVCKER!!!! It is panful to have to wait three months for something I have paid in full for.



    iDunno.




    iDunno, I don't know that the language was necessary, kind of childish I think. You and I are frustrated waiting but I believe the people at Apple who have their careers tied up in this or at NVIDIA who know this failure could damage the entire company have a lot more than some cash at risk. I don't want to be the guy at Apple or NVIDIA that gave the go ahead for announcing and production of this. There is no one more interested in getting this resolved more than them! No one! You have to believe that iDunno.



    I'm thinking once this is resolved you will see your new Mac in much less than 3 months. It's raining G5's without the 6800's now. It'll rain G5's with the 6800 the minute this snag is fixed. Believe it!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    My ship date for just the 6800 is still:



    On or before

    09/17/2004



    Order Date

    07/08/2004

    08:10 AM PST



    Of course 2 minutes after I post this it'll probably get pushed back...
  • Reply 11 of 34
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by iDunno

    As someone who ordered a G5 with this card, three weeks ago, I wish they would sort out whatever probs they are facing and just fix the FVCKER!!!! It is panful to have to wait three months for something I have paid in full for.



    iDunno.




    I thought they couldn't charge you until they shipped the thing.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by 1douglask

    Well everybody, to guess the NVIDIA card was the problem is not new. Way not new. 1. I give Apple credit for holding off shipping the 30" displays. Good move.



    ...



    The blame game is a waiste of time. Apple is doing very well handling a very serious problem.






    ROTFLMAO.....





    Best Apple Apologist - EVER!







    How's this: Apple shouldn't ------- announce a product and take orders by having only what are effectively just prototypes/early production runs to show, yes, including crucial 3rd party components that it requires. Time and time again they announce things too soon. All they care about is press coverage, customers be damned. JIT manufacturing and low inventories look nice when things are flowing, but this looks idiotic to the rest of the business world.



    I'm taking orders on solar powered flying cars now, just having some production problems, we'll work it out soon.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by johnq

    ROTFLMAO.....





    I'm taking orders on solar powered flying cars now, just having some production problems, we'll work it out soon.




    Now that is funny. I like these new guys.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by 1douglask

    iDunno, I don't know that the language was necessary, kind of childish I think. You and I are frustrated waiting but I believe the people at Apple who have their careers tied up in this or at NVIDIA who know this failure could damage the entire company have a lot more than some cash at risk. I don't want to be the guy at Apple or NVIDIA that gave the go ahead for announcing and production of this. There is no one more interested in getting this resolved more than them! No one! You have to believe that iDunno.



    I'm thinking once this is resolved you will see your new Mac in much less than 3 months. It's raining G5's without the 6800's now. It'll rain G5's with the 6800 the minute this snag is fixed. Believe it!




    Relax dude... read it again, I was refering to the computer as the fvcker. Not having a go at either company. Because I don't care whose fault it is, just so long as they fix it.



    iDunno.

    PS. I think a little language is understandable since they were very quick to take my $4909 for a computer they are unable to supply me with. Especially since I am a student and am unable to work from home until I get the G5.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Louzer

    I thought they couldn't charge you until they shipped the thing.



    Am down in Australia, and am going through a third party as they offer a good discount for "key customers" - am getting the G5 with nvidea geforce 6800 ultra ddl for $4909 (this also includes free three year warranty - something Aussie student now have to pay for - so it is cheaper than the student discount by $150) instead of the usual $5335... but you have to pay in full as they are doing a BTO (It sounds dodgy as I type it... but it is legit, they are the company that supplies our school with computers)



    iDunno
  • Reply 16 of 34
    ph.ph. Posts: 5member
    I just ordered a dual 2.5 with the 6800 ultra (my first Mac) and it's showing as "on or before" 5th November... October is going to be one long month But I knew it would be 4-6 weeks when I ordered it so I don't blame Apple in the slightest...
  • Reply 17 of 34
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by johnq

    ROTFLMAO.....





    How's this: Apple shouldn't ------- announce a product and take orders by having only what are effectively just prototypes/early production runs to show, yes, including crucial 3rd party components that it requires. Time and time again they announce things too soon. All they care about is press coverage, customers be damned. JIT manufacturing and low inventories look nice when things are flowing, but this looks idiotic to the rest of the business world.





    But then apple gets slammed for not pre-announcing stuff and letting people know what direction they're going in. Its a double-edged sword. People complain when Apple surprises them with a new computer or display, without any foreknowledge its being released, because they just bought one yesterday and now its outdated. Then people complain when Apple pre-announces products to let people know what's coming, whining they're not available and as such, shouldn't be announced. Make up your damn mind, people! (Oh, and its not like Apple is alone in this realm, EVERYONE pre-announces stuff for next month, next quarter, or even next year).
  • Reply 18 of 34
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by johnq

    [snip]I'm taking orders on solar powered flying cars now, just having some production problems, we'll work it out soon.



    Do you have a pre-production model you could demo for us?
  • Reply 19 of 34
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Regardless of who's holding up shipment, Apple is ultimately the one to blame.

    In business, customers don't need to know the details of the screw up. It is incumbent on Apple to make sure their suppliers meet deadlines and can deliver on time. There's an old addage that says, you're only as good as your supplier.

    If they're incompetent, you look incompetent too.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

    Originally posted by satchmo

    Regardless of who's holding up shipment, Apple is ultimately the one to blame.

    In business, customers don't need to know the details of the screw up. It is incumbent on Apple to make sure their suppliers meet deadlines and can deliver on time. There's an old addage that says, you're only as good as your supplier.

    If they're incompetent, you look incompetent too.




    So tell me Satchmo, is it that your perfect and everything always goes exactly as you planned that you judge Apple or is it that you need to find blame in others to make yourself feel good?
Sign In or Register to comment.