Bluetooth Mice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What bluetooth mice are available besides Apple's own that will work with a Mac? I know that Logictech makes one, but it actually requires Logictech's combo recharger/bluetooth hub to be plugged into a USB port, which somewhat defeats the purpose of going wireless. (Also, what happens if you plug Logictech's bluetooth hub into a Mac with its own bluetooth module? Can you have multiple bluetooth hubs on the same computer? How does the mouse -- or other device -- know which to communicate with?).

thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
  • Reply 2 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

I know that Logictech makes one, but it actually requires Logictech's combo recharger/bluetooth hub to be plugged into a USB port, which somewhat defeats the purpose of going wireless.

No if you have a Mac with built-in bluetooth. But you may first want check this discussion on the Bluetooth Logitech MX 900, where I posted some issues I had with this mouse.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Ok, lets assume I can live with the single button mouse, what do people think of the Apple BT mouse work. I heard there were problems with reconnecting after sleep, have they been fixed.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by lawrenceg

Ok, lets assume I can live with the single button mouse, what do people think of the Apple BT mouse work. I heard there were problems with reconnecting after sleep, have they been fixed.

I have both the apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse and I LOVE them! I don't have any troubles reconnecting them after waking from sleep- all you do is click the mouse a few times and start typing on the keyboard and they automatically reconnect.

I do have all the latest firmwares installed on both the keyboard and mouse and on the powerbooks bluetooth too.

One thing though- in the keyboard and mouse preference pane it shows and option to allow them to wake the computer from sleep, but this option is not selectable... Any thoughts?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I've been using Macally's BTMouseJr, it's a pretty good BT mouse, around $50. Haven't had any issues reconnecting either.

As far as using the mouse to wake up from sleep, I see the same uncheckable option as you tacojohn. My only guess is that it would be available when the PB is hooked up to a display. I'll have an opportunity to try it out sometime next week most likely.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I have an Apple BT mouse i use most every day with my PowerBook. I am very happy with it. I've kept the firmware/software up-to-date since I got i last year and performance has improved. I have no trouble recomending it, as long as you don't have a two-button scroll wheel fettish that can't be supressed.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

No if you have a Mac with built-in bluetooth.

Thanks for the link.

Did the problems you had with the mouse include the scroll wheel (either scrolling or clicking it like a button)?

You still have to use the Logitech Hub to recharge the mouse, right? I guess that's not so bad compared to buying batteries. I don't know how long batteries last in a wireless mouse but probably "not long enough."
  • Reply 8 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

Thanks for the link.

Did the problems you had with the mouse include the scroll wheel (either scrolling or clicking it like a button)?

The problems include the scroll wheel, but only when you are using it as a button. Scrolling is not an issue in OS X whatever the mouse.

Quote:

You still have to use the Logitech Hub to recharge the mouse, right? I guess that's not so bad compared to buying batteries. I don't know how long batteries last in a wireless mouse but probably "not long enough."

Yes, the hub is still necessary to recharge the mouse batteries. Don't expect these (rechargeable) batteries to last too long before needing recharging, although I have not done any test on that.

If Panther had no such peculiar issues with multi-button mice, the Logitech MX 900 would be a very good choice, even without proper software support (but only for office or home use and not on the road on portable computers, as there is no ON/OFF button on the mouse). What I like more about it, is the button placement and the soft scroll wheel. However, I find that its tracking is not exactly what I would expect from such an expensive mouse. In fact, the Apple bluetooth mouse has a much better tracking, very close to that of a wired mouse. It is my favorite from the wireless ones.

I hear that the new Logitech MX 1000, with its laser technology, is a very-very nice one, with the appropriate software for the Macintosh, but it is not bluetooth.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacAficionado

Kensington

That kensington BT mouse *looks* exactly like the MacAlly one except for the color.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    I used the Apple bt mouse for a while, but wasn't really satisfied with the weight that's added with the battery. I don't like having a heavy mouse. Maybe because I've grown used to this little scroll wheel mouse that I stole from work
  • Reply 11 of 28
    This is a really dumb question, but -- as I don't know the answer -- what happens when you have to do system re-installs, etc. -- if HDD crashes (God forbid) or whatever? Is Bluetooth functionality built-in to the computer where it will recognize the mouse/keyboard by default similar to the way FireWire works?
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

This is a really dumb question, but -- as I don't know the answer -- what happens when you have to do system re-installs, etc. -- if HDD crashes (God forbid) or whatever? Is Bluetooth functionality built-in to the computer where it will recognize the mouse/keyboard by default similar to the way FireWire works?

Yeah, well, you need to run the bluetooth utility. It will do this little search deal where it discovers any bluetooth device within range. It should work from there without problems.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

One thing though- in the keyboard and mouse preference pane it shows and option to allow them to wake the computer from sleep, but this option is not selectable... Any thoughts?

For some reason this happened to me too, and the only solution was to download the updates again, separately from apple, even though I did over software update as well.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    I have had the RadTech BT mouse for a week or so and could not live without it. It is small, lightweight, and did not require any software to be installed. OS X found it and accepted it right away. It goes to sleep after a period of non use to save the batteries. Two buttons and a scroll wheel and the scroll can be used for Expose by clicking the desktop.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Just a warning to the wise, whatever you do don't buy the Epox bluetooth mouse.

True it's among the cheapest out there, but it is a piece of junk.

Bought it and regretted it.

It's flimsy, poor battery life (about 2 weeks max.).

It double-clicks when it should single-click - very annoying.

Has trouble staying paired with my powerbook.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    If you do not have an unsurmountable fixation on Bluetooth you can get this:

It comes in red (my preferred), blue, black and some slightly blueish silver! It's the Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks.

It only needs the little USB dongle you see on this picture

BTW the dongle comes in the same color as the mouse.

Of course if they'd make a BT version of this mouse I'd buy it straight away because then I'd not need the dongle anymore. But in general this is no hassle (they even provide a small carring case with a compartment for the dongle for transportation).

If you install the Logitech Control Panel you get Scroll and middle-button click (you can set it to command-click for example, very convenient for tabbed browsing!).
  • Reply 17 of 28
    I'll tell ya what I've been waiting for for 9 months, and finally after all the delays The Mouse BT ships October 5th.

• Reply 18 of 28
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

I'll tell ya what I've been waiting for for 9 months, and finally after all the delays The Mouse BT ships October 5th.

That mouse is exactly what I'm looking for too...

Yet, I'm scared of MacMice.

Anyone have recent experience with this shady organization(s)?

Are they to be trused now? (As least as far as to order a BT mouse from him/them?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Why were they not to be trusted before?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cabinessence

Why were they not to be trusted before?

Jack Campbell is now rather infamous for his numerous shell companies and shady business tactics... part of the story

Here's Jack's take on it

I personally like his products and would feel safe ordering that mouse after hearing of others receiving the product as advertised.