Arrival date for dual-core Power Mac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been reading a lot lately about AMD and Intel working on dual-core processors. I think I recall reading that Apple might use a dual-core G4 in the next power book update, but has anyone heard anything (speculation or information) about a dual-core G5 Power Mac? I hoping to buy a new Power Mac in about 10-12 months and I'm curious if that technology will be available by then.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    10-12 months probally! Not much commitment there but then agian Apple and IBM fully expected to be at 3GHz by now.

Do realize that right at this moment the Power5 is dual core all that is required to deliver an chip to Apple is to add Alt-vec and delete non server features. It is not a big deal for IBM in my opinion for the next generation. There is a good possibility though that the current genration could go (970MP) dual core in a short period of time.

Now how well the different implementations would work out is a open question. There is a large body of evidence that what is really needed is a chip with an on board memory controller. So maybe the 970MP won't be what everybody is hoping for.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by xedgelockx

I've been reading a lot lately about AMD and Intel working on dual-core processors. I think I recall reading that Apple might use a dual-core G4 in the next power book update, but has anyone heard anything (speculation or information) about a dual-core G5 Power Mac? I hoping to buy a new Power Mac in about 10-12 months and I'm curious if that technology will be available by then.

• Reply 2 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by xedgelockx

Apple might use a dual-core [...] I hoping to buy a new Power Mac in about 10-12 months and I'm curious if that technology will be available by then.

Both IBM and Freescale are hard at work bringing dual core offerings of their G4 and G5 lines respectively. However I'm quite certain that they are not something you'lll see in Macs this year. But they might show up just in time for your next purchase.

From what we rumormongers know IBM seems to be ahead of Freescale in this race. IBM have several years head start in developing dual core chips and they currently have several offerings on the server side and some on the embedded custom chip side. Freescale have no current dual core in production that I know of.

My guess that we will see IBM's PPC 970MP this spring at the earliest and Freescale's e600-based MPC 86xx in about a year.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Wouldn't that be a sexy machine and again give us a nice little advantage.... dual dual-core chips... mmm ... from the sounds of it AMD and Intel are still concentrating on just having 1 dual-core processor in machines for the next few years.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    what is the use of a dual core? what does it mean exactly as far as performance?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    DC 2006.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

what is the use of a dual core? what does it mean exactly as far as performance?

This has been the topic many times before. In short: It means little in repect to performance but it means a lot i repect to production cost and complexity of the whole system. Depending how it's contructed some speed can be gained from sharing resources and reduced length of communication paths between the cores. Some performance can also be lost due to bottleneckes in busses to other components in the system. Like the dual core Athlons AMD has demonstrated where the two cores share one memory controller on die where as two single core Athlons have a controller each. There is a potential bottle neck in such a configuration. I don't think it'll be an issue in real world performance though.

We know very little of how Freescale and IBM will implement the dual core designs that we are talking about here. IBM have some really good designs already though.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

DC 2006.

I think you are too pessimitic -- the rumoured 970MP design is done in such a way that very little R&D is needed to build it. They may not be able to push the clock rates, but they should be able to quickly deliver 2 cores.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Would OS/X see a dual core processor as two processors? I.e. Would only software designed for MP be able to take advantage of dual core processors ?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Yes, dual core is very little different from dual separate processors.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Supposedly the 970MP is being sampled by Apple now. Volume production would likely commence Q1 2005. That should make for a mid 2005 delivery. I expect to see one more refresh of the Powermacs with 970fx and then the lineup change to DC.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Supposedly the 970MP is being sampled by Apple now. Volume production would likely commence Q1 2005. That should make for a mid 2005 delivery. I expect to see one more refresh of the Powermacs with 970fx and then the lineup change to DC.

supposedly? where did you read this? i'm just wondering, cuz i'm curious.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Thinksecret on Antares

Quote:

IBM will reportedly deliver the first prototypes to Cupertino in August and is projected to wrap up its own testing and begin production in January; this timetable suggests that customers could see the new processor in Apple products sometime in 2005.

Looking good for a mid 2005 launch providing IBM doesn't run into any significant snags.

So I think we hit 3Ghz by then with a Feb refresh taking us up to about 2.8Ghz tops.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Thinksecret on Antares

Looking good for a mid 2005 launch providing IBM doesn't run into any significant snags.

So I think we hit 3Ghz by then with a Feb refresh taking us up to about 2.8Ghz tops.

2.8Ghz tops

That has to be totally embarrassing for IBM, and frustrating for Apple.

And no I am not trying to be negative just stating the obvious.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

2.8Ghz tops

That has to be totally embarrassing for IBM, and frustrating for Apple.

And no I am not trying to be negative just stating the obvious.

Only in the sense that Steve Jobs predicted 3Ghz. Personally I have always felt that was a very ambitious statement because the 970 isn't as hyper pipelined as a Pentium 4. Who knows though they may just hit 3Ghz I wouldn't put it past them.

I am eager to see what Apple does with dual core cpu in the line. I hope they drop the entry level PM back down to the $1499 level and have a 4 core system at the high end.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Clockspeed isn't everything... look at AMD right now... 2.4ghz is their top speed clockspeed but yet their Opterons and FX-53 chips whoop ass. Just because they can't hit 3ghz doesn't mean anything.

Now if they don't put on-chip mem controllers and 1mb l2 cache next chip... then I'd have to say that chip would be an embarassment for IBM.

If they hit dual core... who cares if it is 3ghz... dual dual-core chips... would a difference between 2.8 and 3ghz really matter?
  • Reply 16 of 39
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

If they hit dual core... who cares if it is 3ghz... dual dual-core chips... would a difference between 2.8 and 3ghz really matter?

He he, not at all . Bring them on!
  • Reply 17 of 39
    *drools*
  • Reply 18 of 39
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Wall Street Journal (print edition) had an article today with Intel claiming that they were going to bring dual core CPUs to market in 2005; for desktops, laptops & servers...

Said they couldn't work the 'more MHz/GHz =more computing power' angle anymore...!
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Wall Street Journal (print edition) had an article today with Intel claiming that they were going to bring dual core CPUs to market in 2005; for desktops, laptops & servers...

Said they couldn't work the 'more MHz/GHz =more computing power' angle anymore...!

Yes for those that want more info check anandtech's IDF(Intel Developer Forum) for more info. Intel will be shipping DC in 2005 and in 2006 DC is going to be pervasive amongst their lineup. Even the laptops will have DC in most of their offerings.

This bodes well for all of us because IBM will surely be keeping up the pace here as well.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

This bodes well for all of us because IBM will surely be keeping up the pace here as well.

I am not so sure about that. It is true IBM has already experience in dual core designs, but this has only to do with server chips. For the Macintosh, this means we will easily have dual core in Power Mac and XServe (well, after the current problems that IBM is facing are resolved). But what about the Powerbooks? Apart the scheduled announcement of dual core PowerPC processors from Freescale this fall (the only ones that could be used in a slim notebook like a Powerbook), there is nothing in the horizon. We are left with the hope that things will go well on Freescale's side. And it remains to see if Apple finally chooses to go with the RapidIO interface that those chips will bring with them.