iMac + VPC or Pbook + real pc

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I will be switching to macs in the next few months (if this new job works out...) As a college student liveing at home, I don't need mobility, but space is also limited, and I want a big screen for multi-tasking.

My question is can VPC on an iMac G5 run as fast as as 700 mhz celleron? I will be running Visual Studio.net for light codeing and when I am not doing that I will be running multiple web browsers, text editor for html/javascript, office apps,itunes and such.

Will the G5 iMac do this or should I get a powerbook and keep my PeeCee around?b

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

..., and I want a big screen for multi-tasking.

?

Quote:

I will be switching to macs in the next few months (if this new job works out...)

Good anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    The current version of VPC doesn't run on a G5. Microsoft is working on VPC7 for Mac to fix that, but isn't quite yet shipping. So as of right now, the iMacG5 won't run VirtualPC at all. I'm sure VPC7 will be out Real Soon Now(tm) - offically, sometime this fall.

Until it's shipping, performance is pure speculation. But the omens are not good. Anyway, why not keep the celeron around for the rare times you need VisualStudio, and do everything else on the iMac/PB? If VPC7 turns out to be blazing when it eventually emerges, you can pick it up and mothball the old celery.