I need to vent about my new PowerBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I need to vent.

About a month ago, I purchased a brand new 17-inch PowerBook.

It has been to Apple for repair two times. Both times to fix dark areas of the screen. It came back today after its second repair, still with dark spots coming from the top of the screen. Now the case is bent too. It's like they bent the superdrive area upward. The screen touches the base on the right side when closed and when it's open, and you're typing, it wobbles.

I think I am going to go insane. I'm going to call Apple again on Monday to complain and demand they fix it.

What's the chances that third time's the charm?

I'm not a happy camper.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Sorry to hear that. My 17" is just purrrrrrfect!! ~rubs salt in wounds~

j/k

Keep taking it to Apple until it gets fixed. It is still under warranty and if the 3rd time it's still broken, demand a new one!!!
  • Reply 2 of 38
    I havent been to happy with Apples warrenty service either when it comes to my 12" PB. I had problems with the screen and my superdrive scratched cds when they were put in. I sent it off and they sent it back with only the screen fixed. And the screen still had dark spots (no dead pixels though). So I sent it off again to get the superdrive fixed after giving Apple a piece of my mind. I havent got it back yet but I got a reply saying that they replaced my superdrive entirely which is nice. But im still cheezed off.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I need to vent.

It has been to Apple for repair two times. Both times to fix dark areas of the screen. It came back today after its second repair, still with dark spots coming from the top of the screen. Now the case is bent too. It's like they bent the superdrive area upward. The screen touches the base on the right side when closed and when it's open, and you're typing, it wobbles.

I think I am going to go insane. I'm going to call Apple again on Monday to complain and demand they fix it.

What's the chances that third time's the charm?

I'm not a happy camper.

I am not sure but I have heard about a sort of lemon law for computers, look it up, this may apply to you, I would demand a NEW (NON_REFURB) replacement, you dont know what kind of permenant damage may have been done to the HDD or optical drive, if they unbend it, the fix would be merely cosmetic.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Thanks for the support and the advice.

The following pictures illustrate my woes.

Here's a picture of the computer where the Superdrive portion of the computer seems to have been bent upward and meets the display at the corner when closed. The gap between the display and the computer widens from left to right.

The picture below shows the unevenness in the displays lighting. It's like three bands of dark spots, then dark spots equidistant from the two latches at the top that look like oil dripping down. They are more apparent in person.

Of course I didn't take these pictures primarily for the forum, but to email to Apple when I call them up and bitch at them on Monday.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:

I need to vent.

. . . :| . . .

I'm not a happy camper.

Depending upon where you live, you may be able to either demand a replacement (i.e. brand new machine) or to void the entire transaction on an implied or merchantability warranty argument. I would have none of this garbage. You paid a ton of cash for it, they delivered junk, you have given them two opportunities to fix their piece of junk, you should be entitled to your money back so you can start this process over and get it right the second time.

When you are not cruising around and about the moon, where do you reside?

Nat
  • Reply 6 of 38
    I live in Massachusetts.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    OMFG

DHagan, demand a replacement or a full refund, that is outrageous!!

-Ed
  • Reply 8 of 38
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Evil Ed

OMFG

DHagan, demand a replacement or a full refund, that is outrageous!!

-Ed

Exactly. I have been putting off a laptop purchase for a year now. Not because of problems popping up like this, but Apple's insistence on trying to re-vive defective products 3 to 5 times in a row. I'm sorry, after spending that kind of money, you shouldn't be treated like that. To be perfectly honest, those white-box computer stores on the corner of the shady area of town you live in give you better service under these conditions. There should really be consumer laws to protect you from this type of abuse, if there aren't all ready.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    well, if you have to go back for a 3rd time, you can simply demand a new replacement. Usually works if you have a overly problematic computer. They'll usually comply by giving you a fresh one.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Well it's come back after it's 4th repair today. Last time, the screen was warped badly. I still have these black shadows (stains?) coming down from the top over the menu bar, like in the pic above:

http://homepage.mac.com/davehagan/pb1y.jpg

But I don't have the overall large dark spots.

Does anyone else who has a 17-inch PB have this?

Also My latch is still catchy. When I received my laptop back from the 3rd repair, I couldn't open it...the latch would stick more than 60% of the time. The catch is still there, although it's much better.

This brings me to my final point: I really don't want to start using this thing because I don't want to get involved in a project and have to stop, transfer the changes over to another computer to send it in.

What should I do?

Ahhhhhhh!

At this point, I really don't want it anymore! Ever get this feeling?
  • Reply 11 of 38
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    be careful.....people around here tend to blame the user for apple's crappy quality. cuz, you must mistreat your machine to have problems

i'd ask for a supervisor and demand a new one.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Dave, I think you're totally in line for a good-will replacement. Here's what's irking me: you can't tell me that Apple techs or whoever look at that screen (with those OBVIOUS two dark spots at the top) and think "okay, our job is done...".

They HAVE to see that, don't they? How could they, in good conscience, shut it back down, sign off on the work and ship it back to you?

That's really disheartening. I think you should stay on the phone until you go as high in the chain as you can. You've got pics to back your claim up, you've got a product that's been in FOUR times for repair (and hasn't been fixed yet).

If I'm at Apple and I'm looking at your case, you get a brand new 17" PowerBook and a $50 iTMS certificate, just as an apology and token of good will and for just simple, good karma.

Good luck. If I were you, I wouldn't get off the phone until I had this - once and for all - settled. That's just ridiculous.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Thanks, Paul.

What really irked me the most was the fact that they left the blue cellophane/plastic on the hinge when they shipped it back. It was like this light blue protector that was probably on the part before they installed it, which was a bitch to get off.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    I had to call tech support recently with a problem and during the course of the diagnosis the tech guy siad that if something he wanted me to try didn't work that he would send me a new computer right away. Turns out that the problem was no solvable, but it would seem to indicate that the tech support people have the power to repalce your machine. Might just require a little polite yet pursuasive pressure.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Polite yet persuasive...

"Please, send me a new computer bitch"?
  • Reply 16 of 38
    As you may have read from my other posts...after a fourth repair and still problems, Apple said they were going to replace my 17-inch PowerBook. This was late-July. I received the shipping tags on August 5th, shipped it that day, and tracked it online as it was signed for on August 12th. It's now September 8th...and I am still without a replacement. It has been since late June since I was able to use it. What's that? Almost 4 months of no-usage! I've called them three times since they got it: Where's my PowerBook? Today I got the "Well, we're going to have to call you back tomorrow."

I want this thing. I need this thing...

I said to the guy why don't you just cut me a check and I'll go order one online..."that will take longer sir."

What the F do I do???????

I seem to be caught in some feedback loop or something.

I have had more problems with Apple PowerBooks over the years. My Power Macs have been great (knock on wood). AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I feel cursed!
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

As you may have read from my other posts...after a fourth repair and still problems, Apple said they were going to replace my 17-inch PowerBook. This was late-July. I received the shipping tags on August 5th, shipped it that day, and tracked it online as it was signed for on August 12th. It's now September 8th...and I am still without a replacement. It has been since late June since I was able to use it. What's that? Almost 4 months of no-usage! I've called them three times since they got it: Where's my PowerBook? Today I got the "Well, we're going to have to call you back tomorrow."

I want this thing. I need this thing...

I said to the guy why don't you just cut me a check and I'll go order one online..."that will take longer sir."

What the F do I do???????

I seem to be caught in some feedback loop or something.

I have had more problems with Apple PowerBooks over the years. My Power Macs have been great (knock on wood). AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I feel cursed!

I'm also having problems getting my replacement 15" PB. I was told on 8/19 to expect a shipping label email within the next 24 hours so I could send in my current PB. I never received the email. I've called a few times since and have been told each time that it's just a couple days away. Given your report I'm going to be rather hesitant to send in my current PB. Perhaps the delay in my shipping label is in recognition of their backlog in terms of shipping out replacements. Nex time I talk with them I'll ask if I can just do an exchange at an Apple Store. I suspect that this won't be allowed but why not ask?
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neandertal

I'm also having problems getting my replacement 15" PB. I was told on 8/19 to expect a shipping label email within the next 24 hours so I could send in my current PB. I never received the email. I've called a few times since and have been told each time that it's just a couple days away.

I've just gone through this with my new G5 - they sent me a 1.8 instead of a 2.0 by mistake.

Took five calls to Apple support to get it resolved - four to the store and one to tech support to get a case number.

The three calls to support after the case number was assigned were a pain, none could find the case number, all said it would be "a couple of days" before I saw an e-mail with the return labels, but nothing happened.

On the last call, I expressed my displeasure to the person who answered the call. She was vey helpful. Despite the fact that she couldn't find the case number, she created the return and a new order while I was on the phone with her. She confirmed I'd received the return label e-mail on the spot.

So, they can do it relatively easily, it seems like it just takes the will to do it. My suggestion to you is to stay on the line with them until they confirm shipping labels, and status of the order - ask them to e-mail the info to you while you're on the phone with them. If they won't ask for a supervisor.

My PB 17 is a spectacular machine, it's worth the money, and when you finally get one that works properly, you will be happy.

So long as the machine isn't a BTO, you might want to try your Apple store - the genius bar has the authority to replace if they have to.

Good luck!
  • Reply 19 of 38
    While on the subject of PowerBook screens. Has anyone else had a recurrance of the white spot problem on their 15" PowerBook? I had mine fixed in Winter. I lived with the problem for a a few months to let Apple get the problem well worked out, but i guess I didn't wait long enough since the spots are back on the new screen.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Apples support seems to be a bit of a crap shoot. Ive had excellent responses, and Ive had cases which required back and forth phone calls. If you have to call more than once make sure they know it. Ive found that telling you've been on the phone for 4 hours already on an incident really helps their willingness to help. The key here is not being mad about it. Just be calm and clear that you are pissed about wasting a day.

On a positive note, Ive found them to provide the best 'free' phone support Ive encountered. I regularly spend hours screaming at Verizon