Should Apple fit Bluetooth as standard on all Macs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It is impossible to buy a Mac froma re-seller compleate with Bluetooth as re-sellers do not stock BTO machines as a general rule. As Bluetooth cannot be added later except by using a USB thingy and loosing a USB port, I think it should be standard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

It is impossible to buy a Mac froma re-seller compleate with Bluetooth as re-sellers do not stock BTO machines as a general rule. As Bluetooth cannot be added later except by using a USB thingy and loosing a USB port, I think it should be standard.

Some resellers like smalldog.com do stock BTO machines.

It would be nice though if they just made it standard across the board as they did on Powerbooks.

ps - I checked and smalldog has quite a range of configs for iMacs at their site and many do include BT.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Try finding a re-seller with a G5-2.5 and Bluetooth - in G.B.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

You got me there. I did not realize your location .
  • Reply 4 of 40
    I voted no. Although you have a desire to have BT at this time I do not and I would rather not pay for technology that I may or may not use. BT in many ways is rather useless. So I can sync my phone contacts wirelessly...not that big of deal. I'd rather keep it an option as BT is never really going to reach a critical mass that will lower its cost to pennies.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    I have a bluetooth phone, and I find that for me, my contacts rarely change, and my calendar doesn't really help me on my phone. None of my colleagues have bluetooth anything (engineers), so I think bluetooth is just not a compelling need - yet. So I'm fine with it not being standard. If Apple was going to add something, I would suggest having a minimum of 512MB ram, using just one slot, in iMacs and eMacs.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Well I would imagine that the marginal cost of adding Bluetooth to every machine would add $25 at the most to the price.

If you have a Bluetooth phone which doesn't have a good calender then you are missing a wonderful facility. I have a Treo 600, and although it doesn't have Bluetooth yet it works really well with iSync and I will upgrade when it becomes available. With Bluetooth you can SMS from the desktop without even taking the phone out of your pocket. You really need to try it to realise how good it is. Then again Apple now sell a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Well I would imagine that the marginal cost of adding Bluetooth to every machine would add $25 at the most to the price.

If you have a Bluetooth phone which doesn't have a good calender then you are missing a wonderful facility. I have a Treo 600, and although it doesn't have Bluetooth yet it works really well with iSync and I will upgrade when it becomes available. With Bluetooth you can SMS from the desktop without even taking the phone out of your pocket. You really need to try it to realise how good it is. Then again Apple now sell a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I will be looking hard at the Treo Ace(or 650 whateva they call it). So then BT would be something I would like. I then would of course grab the BT but even at $25 it seems to be a little expensive to toss in right now. BT is going to be replaced within 5 years by better wireless tech that supports faster devices. Intel is working on Wireless USB so investing in BT right now might not be that lasting.

Wireless USB info
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I will be looking hard at the Treo Ace(or 650 whateva they call it). So then BT would be something I would like. I then would of course grab the BT but even at $25 it seems to be a little expensive to toss in right now. BT is going to be replaced within 5 years by better wireless tech that supports faster devices. Intel is working on Wireless USB so investing in BT right now might not be that lasting.

Wireless USB info

Yup...wireless USB is coming and wireless Firewire is coming. Bluetooth is just something that will fade away in the next few years.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Resellers have their own AppleStore where they should be able to order CTO configurations for you.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    I am still waiting for a G5 2.5 ordered on the Apple Store on June 10th. Some local re-sellers have them in stock but none have Bluetooth and I don't want a Bluetooth dongle.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    No they shouldn't.

That said, it's stupid that the only post purchase option is a USB adapter, the bluetooth adapter should be a user installable item.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:

I realize it could be good - but I need reading glasses to read the T68i and plus I cannot bring the cell phone into many work areas. I know it could be good, but again, I just don't think it's so compelling to have it standard - which means everyone pays for it.

I do like the wireless mouse - I got one for my son because he broke two Apple Optical mouse's by let them dangle too much from the desk.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    I'd go for that. While were at it I think the 56K modem should be made into a BTO item. I can't remember the last time I used the modem port on one of my desktop machines (although it still is handy in a laptop).
  • Reply 14 of 40
    I don't think it should be standard but I wish it could be added in after purchase on all Macs just like with the airport cards.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Bluetooth is a tiny chip and extremely cheap. The chip is probably $3 and the Antenna and fittings another $3. Seriously, the only reason they charge you more is that their target market is the cell phone hipsters who will pay for the hipness factor.

Why should such a cheap upgrade be standard? (other than losing a usb port if you add it later)

Simple: The mac msytique is built on having a very high lowest common denominator - All macs do certain things:

We all have firewire and iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, Rendezvous (now opentalk) we all have Mail, Addressbook, great OS, great security defaults and connectivity options. Most Mac models ship with a modestly good graphics card (no intel "extreme" integrated graphics in sight) even on the very low end.

Walking up to any Mac you just expect to be able to do really cool stuff even on a very low end model. The low end might get the job done a little slower, but the basic capability is at a very high level.

Consider how Bluetooth fits this pictue: there is little cooler than walking up to a mac and exchanging addresses/ files / Changing the song that is playing and syncing and accessing the internet, all without carrying cables around. You can do half that stuff withouth taking your phone out of your pocket! Being able to send a file from your ibook to a friend's desktop while doing no networking at all is a cool feeling! Imagine if you could do this with any mac from accross the room. "Of course all macs brought into a room together can exchange files, instant message and sync their calendars, can't pc's all do that too?" <--- should become the norm. It is a transformative feeling when you don't have to screw around with networking settings. That is what Rendezvous was all about, and Bluetooth makes it one step easier, and with far cheaper hardware.

It costs almost nothing, and all the little tricks of bluetooth add the little magic that makes macs so stand out. Also, being a standard would raise the value of each installation. That is the beauty of networking technologies! The more people have it, the more valuable having it becomes, because the more you can use it and the more folks you have to talk to! And since the genius of Apple these days is software and frameworks, think of the cool OS wide features that can be built in when you expect that every computer nearby can speak to each other seconds after being brought into a room.

Standard all the way, it is too cheap and too cool not to have it.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Bluetooth seems like a must inclusion these days. Allmost all the phones in Europe have it and thats a major area where apple could sell computers just for the ability to sync with your phone. Also it costs almost nothing. I bet the antenna is more than the chip.

Maybe Apple is awaiting the devlopment of its own app (or OS extension) before including it as standard. Much like a lot of other technology before (Superdrive - iDVD, CD burner - iTunes, Firewire - iMovie). Look out for Bluetooth being standard on all macs when Tiger is released.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    I think BT should be standard.

For anone who doesn't want it, Apple should include the option to BTO it off (like with the modem currently) to save some people the money.

But it should really be standard. As has been pointed out, it is too cheap not to for that integrative Apple cool factor.

(I have never used, and doubt I ever will use BT btw.)
  • Reply 18 of 40
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'm torn.

It is incredibly cheap to add.

Yet...

It is pretty much useless for 99% of buyers.

Bluetooth doesn't currently fix a problem or address a need for most people. Rather, it is a 'neat' gadget for the PDA types and people who like to constantly fiddle with technology.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Why do you people say that Bluetooth isn't needed for most customers? Thats like saying that Superdrives wheren't needed or that its enough with 640K of memory (remember that one?).

If all Macs have BT and Apple work closely with say... Motorola and Ericsson and Apple integrates support for automagic syncing into Tiger then suddenly everyone needs bluetooth. Just think about all those phones with cameras (which are getting better and better), hint->iPhoto [import from phone] and about Adressbook and iCal [Sync your life!].

Say no more.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    re: bluetooth dongles... here's the bluetooth hardware developers' next assignment (in case any are reading)

first, we now need a lower-profile bluetooth dongle than what's been circulating recently. with the advent of the flat imac, and the potential for wall mounting, an after-market bluetooth module would need to sit more flush to the housing.

second, would someone PLEASE devise a way that a bluetooth module could have both a male and female port so you don't lose a port by using one?

of course, those two requests may be at odds with each other, but if i were s. jobs for a day, i'd tell them to make it so.