Stargate: Atlantis

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is anyone watching ST:A here?

I am just curious as to whether or not the episode "Home" actually aired or not, because it didn't here on Movie Central and I can't find it online, but it is mentioned in a bunch of places on and offline.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Last week was a rerun. "Home" airs this Friday.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    There is a schedule on Scifi.com and last week was a repeat.

I too have been following the series, but I am a little disappointed. SG-1 is fun to watch because of J. O.'s witty humor, everyone's strong friendships, character development, scriptwriting and other stuff. SG: A Is great with stories/plot, and visuals but I think they went overboard on the "number of people with witty humor vs. people with two feet on the ground' factor. The accents took a bit to get used to but that has always been a problem for me.

Nonetheless, I will defiantly give this series a chance. They are building groundwork right now in order to support a terrific season.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It feels a little formulaic right now to me. SG1 is my favorite sci fi show going on now so SGA has plenty of good will to run on until they get going.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I like it so far and it is season one. We have to get to know the characters and let them develop and it might not be until the 3rd season until it's totally right.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Also, I think the bad guys in SG:A are way better than in SG1.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    SGA is to ST Voyager as SG1 is to ST DS9?

I've been watching some. It's ok. Chemistry isn't there yet, and that's probably the most important thing in these sorts of shows.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    <b>There is a schedule on Scifi.com and last week was a repeat. </b>

Ah! I was looking at the schedule on stargateatlantis.com, and it puts "Home" before "Underground", the last new episode that I saw.

Personally, I like the show so far. It's not anything special yet, but I can easily see it getting a whole lot better. I think my biggest problem with it so far is that I don't like a couple of the cahracters. Shepherd and Ford are ok, but I don't like Weir or Tayla very much. They grate on my nerves.

Of course, if you ask me, every sci fi show's first season is it's worst season. So I will watch it until at least season 2.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Hail Atlantis!

Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

SGA is to ST Voyager as SG1 is to ST DS9?

Huh? I think you're trying to say that as Voyager was to DS9, SGA is to SG1. If that's not what you're going for... I haven't a clue what you mean!

At any rate, SGA is good enough to give it some time to mature and develop, which it does need to do. (How often is Weir going to forcefully state all of her grave concerns about this or that, and then back down and agree to whatever Sheppard wants? )

By contrast, I've been watching DS9 on DVD recently, and I have to say that DS9 is, IMHO, one of those unusual sci-fi shows that got up to speed very fast. Going back to the very first season, I find DS9 stands up quite well. ST-NG took 2-3 years to really get going, however ("Encounter at Farpoint" is nearly physically painful to watch for me), the same with Voyager, and the current Enterprise is off to a slow start too. Perhaps it's only lust for T'Pol that keeps me going with Enterprise.

Babylon 5 is another sci-fi show that I think found its footing very fast as sci-fi goes. I feel that way about SG-1 too, but unlike DS9 or B5 I haven't put SG-1 to the acid test of going back to watch the first season again to see if my opinion of the show's early days would hold.

On a slight tangent...

The very first episode of the current season of SG-1 -- the episode used for spinning off SGA -- had all the awkward, clunky feeling of a first episode of a totally new show. Did anyone else feel that way? The old, familiar characters seemed rough around their edges and uncomfortable with the lines they had to say, and the story felt like a very much hacked together from ill-fitting pieces of contrived story lines.

Once they thawed out O'Neil, the rest of that first episode pulled itself together a lot better, and by the next week, it was good ol' SG-1 again.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Huh? I think you're trying to say that as Voyager was to DS9, SGA is to SG1. If that's not what you're going for... I haven't a clue what you mean!

Err, yeah right. That's what I meant. ed:

The only series I'm looking forward to is the Battlestar Galactica "re-interpretation". Some hopefully good miniseries with Farscape and Earthsea coming too.