Going Underground

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For those who haven't already stumbled across this story allow me to present to you The French Underground Cinema.

Quote:

Police in Paris have discovered a fully equipped cinema-cum-restaurant in a large and previously uncharted cavern underneath the capital's chic 16th arrondissement.

Officers admit they are at a loss to know who built or used one of Paris's most intriguing recent discoveries.

Go the sports squad!

Quote:

Members of the force's sports squad, responsible - among other tasks - for policing the 170 miles of tunnels, caves, galleries and catacombs that underlie large parts of Paris, stumbled on the complex while on a training exercise beneath the Palais de Chaillot, across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower.

No cinematic experience is complete without couscous.

Quote:

After entering the network through a drain next to the Trocadero, the officers came across a tarpaulin marked: Building site, No access.

Behind that, a tunnel held a desk and a closed-circuit TV camera set to automatically record images of anyone passing. The mechanism also triggered a tape of dogs barking, "clearly designed to frighten people off," the spokesman said.

Further along, the tunnel opened into a vast 400 sq metre cave some 18m underground, "like an underground amphitheatre, with terraces cut into the rock and chairs".

There the police found a full-sized cinema screen, projection equipment, and tapes of a wide variety of films, including 1950s film noir classics and more recent thrillers. None of the films were banned or even offensive, the spokesman said.

A smaller cave next door had been turned into an informal restaurant and bar. "There were bottles of whisky and other spirits behind a bar, tables and chairs, a pressure-cooker for making couscous," the spokesman said.

"The whole thing ran off a professionally installed electricity system and there were at least three phone lines down there."

In the words of the inimitable Hunter S., when the going gets weird the weird turn pro.....

Quote:

Three days later, when the police returned accompanied by experts from the French electricity board to see where the power was coming from, the phone and electricity lines had been cut and a note was lying in the middle of the floor: "Do not," it said, "try to find us."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    This story makes me happy.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    dont you have catacombs with skeletons of more than 6 million humans down there ... the walls adorned with skulls and thigh bones?

you have some weird shit in france. i will give you that.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    The disadvantage of living in a relatively young country like the US is that it will take a thousand years for our big cities to become so wonderfully weird. Oh, we've got plenty of our own oddness, and even underground labyrinths of sorts, but nothing with such a strong secret-world appeal.

If I lived in Paris, or spent much time there, I fear I'd be sorely tempted to explore off-limits parts of the underground.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    er?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    It was probably the race of Predators, since we know that they like to build elaborate stuff underground where you'd least expect it.

Yes, I did see Alien vs Predator, but yes, a tornado did hit my house so I do have an excuse.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

If I lived in Paris, or spent much time there, I fear I'd be sorely tempted to explore off-limits parts of the underground.

You devil you, shetline! Hold him back people. Don't let him anywhere near Paris. He'll lose all sense of moral decency and self-control and....and....and go explore the catacombs!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

dont you have catacombs with skeletons of more than 6 million humans down there ... the walls adorned with skulls and thigh bones?

I never visited the catacombes, althoug I visited some underground aera in boat.

One day I will do it, with my daughter, who always said to me that she is not scared
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I never visited the catacombes, althoug I visited some underground aera in boat.

One day I will do it, with my daughter, who always said to me that she is not scared

The tourist-certified catacombs, or wandering off the sanctioned path?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

The tourist-certified catacombs, or wandering off the sanctioned path?

Sanctionned path for my daughter

No I wouldn't do that

I wonder what things or People you may encounter. Some years ago, I heard story of wilds animals like crocodile and giant snake founded in New York's underground
  • Reply 10 of 23
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Sanctionned path for my daughter

No I wouldn't do that

I wonder what things or People you may encounter. Some years ago, I heard story of wilds animals like crocodile and giant snake founded in New York's underground

that is true. but mostly due to the people abandoning them.

i remember seeing a history channel on the seattle underground. but certainly nothing like this. very bizarre. i always think stuff like this can't exist or happen these days but i guess it can
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

that is true. but mostly due to the people abandoning them.

i remember seeing a history channel on the seattle underground. but certainly nothing like this. very bizarre. i always think stuff like this can't exist or happen these days but i guess it can

There is also story of snake comming out of the water closet in building (snakes moving from WC to WC). And these story where real.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Powerdoc, you know I think your English is just fine and I'd never make fun of the way you express yourself.

Quote:

the water closet

OK, almost never.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

OK, almost never.

Now, now... I'd guess that Powerdoc's English is very influenced by British English. "Water closet", usually shortened to WC, is still a fairly common Britishism, isn't it?

Speaking of French and English and Brits and WCs... the British slang "loo" allegedly derives from the French "Gardez l'eau!", meaning "Watch out for the water!", a phrase shouted in warning when tossing the contents of a chamber pot out of your window and into the street.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    that's a really weird story...i wonder what this group is?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

The disadvantage of living in a relatively young country like the US is that it will take a thousand years for our big cities to become so wonderfully weird. Oh, we've got plenty of our own oddness, and even underground labyrinths of sorts, but nothing with such a strong secret-world appeal.

Perhaps you should visit New Jersey
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

TALK SENSE!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    You know, I heard that Ron Perlman owns a restaurant in Paris.....hmmmmmm.

Did ANYBODY get this?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by NJ Tom

Perhaps you should visit New Jersey

I grew up in New Jersey. I suppose I might not have discovered enough of the local weirdness during my youth, but nothing in that web site quite adds up to having a couple of hundred miles of underground catacombes beneath your city, filled with human skeletons and secret chambers.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

I grew up in New Jersey. I suppose I might not have discovered enough of the local weirdness during my youth, but nothing in that web site quite adds up to having a couple of hundred miles of underground catacombes beneath your city, filled with human skeletons and secret chambers.

You got me there