Report: Nvidia at root of 30-inch Apple Cinema Display delays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1douglask

So tell me Satchmo, is it that your perfect and everything always goes exactly as you planned that you judge Apple or is it that you need to find blame in others to make yourself feel good?

LOL...

Right, we love blaming Apple.

One or 2 delays is expected now and then but Apple makes it an art...

Hardware:

30" Cinema Display - Nvidia (supplier)

iMac G5 - ("...our planning was obviously less than perfect")

Power Mac G5 - IBM's fault... (supplier)

iPod Mini - Hitachi's fault (supplier)

XServe RAID - (unknown reason, probably IBM)

Dual Xserve G5 - (unknown reason, probably IBM)

...others...

Either Apple is being lied to each time by these suppliers (because Apple obviously needs to get credible confirmation from suppliers that they can meet demand before Apple makes an announcement) or else Apple knows about the probable delays but says "screw it, we'll announce and take pre-orders and just blame you guys later". Either they know or they don't know, they're being lied to or are doing the lying. Either/or.

(To change the old phrase sightly) "Dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bullshit" seems Steve's style more than anything else. And I love the guy and the company and the products, it's just out of control now.

I'm still on an iBook out of spite from the time I went to an Apple store with $3000 in my pocket and they had no stock off-the-shelf PowerBooks to sell me. Screw it, I bought a Canon 10D instead...

Calumet and Canon know how to run their businesses.

Pre-announcing so early, to me, just means I automatically don't even think about buying anything new from Apple for at least the first 6 months of a product's life. But by then much of the hype has worn off and I get suddenly content to use the G3 macs I have even longer. Hell, I missed out on the G4 generations for the same reason.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

One or 2 delays is expected now and then but Apple makes it an art...

They fell so far behind at a few critical times throughout their history it has put a massive damper on their image. Even from within their own user base.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

So tell me Satchmo, is it that your perfect and everything always goes exactly as you planned that you judge Apple or is it that you need to find blame in others to make yourself feel good?

What are you? Twelve years old?

It's not about feeling good blaming Apple (or any company for that matter). In fact, I'm probably the most ardent Apple fan, but I'm certainly not blind to reality.

It's about accepting responsibility as any mature corporation would do. Not crying and pointing fingers everytime you hit a roadbump.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

What are you? Twelve years old?

It's not about feeling good blaming Apple (or any company for that matter). In fact, I'm probably the most ardent Apple fan, but I'm certainly not blind to reality.

It's about accepting responsibility as any mature corporation would do. Not crying and pointing fingers everytime you hit a roadbump.

And I quote you Satchmo: "Apple is ultimately the one to blame."
  • Reply 25 of 34
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

1. I give Apple credit for holding off shipping the 30" displays. Good move.

What choice do they have? Ship monitors that are unusable?

Quote:

I am pleased with Apple for having the courage to step back and be honest... [/B]

• Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

What choice do they have? Ship monitors that are unusable?

Actually, they could have. They, from what I understand, had a choice. They didn't ship them. Exactly my point. They did what was right.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Actually, they could have. They, from what I understand, had a choice. They didn't ship them. Exactly my point. They did what was right.

Are you kidding? Do you really think that shipping unusable monitors is an option? They did the only thing they could possibly do avoid a worse PR hit.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    As of this afternoon I was advised by my vendor that the 30" display AND the 6800 card were shipping ON OR BEFORE 9/30. (My reseller chose to order my G5 without the 6800 and the display and 6800 separately. They felt I would get the system quicker if the G5 was stock. I trust them 100%)

According to them this date change went from ? to ? weeks to an exact date which indicates, to them, that it will be shipped on or before 9/30.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Are you kidding? Do you really think that shipping unusable monitors is an option? They did the only thing they could possibly do avoid a worse PR hit.

No I am not kidding and I agree that it would have been a big PR hit but that does not change the fact that they could have. They could have done a lot of things but stepped back, announced the 10/25 date, a lot farther out than anyone wanted to hear, took the hit and set out to fixing the problem.

They had a problem. No one on this planet wanted to get this fixed more than the people at Apple and NVIDIA. No one. For a corporate crisis Apple handled this well. All the whining won't change that.

NOW, as I stated in my earlier post on this thread, I felt Apple gave them selves "insurance" by going to the 10/25 date so as not to risk moving the date out yet again ( an excellent corporate PR move ). As I just posted my 30" and 6800 are now scheduled for 9/30 or before shipping. They made me happy that I won't have to wait until 10/25 and, in fact, that will be only about 10 days after the ESTIMATED delivery date I was originally promised. Crisis or no crisis I find 10 days after my original ESTIMATED shipping date most satisfactory.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

And I quote you Satchmo: "Apple is ultimately the one to blame."

Yeah....and your point is?

I never denied blaming Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Hardware:

30" Cinema Display - Nvidia (supplier)

iMac G5 - ("...our planning was obviously less than perfect")

Power Mac G5 - IBM's fault... (supplier)

iPod Mini - Hitachi's fault (supplier)

XServe RAID - (unknown reason, probably IBM)

Dual Xserve G5 - (unknown reason, probably IBM)

What components does Apple produce alone!? Of course its the suppliers that cause delays, but its still Apple's fault. Perhaps they should begin to announce their products when the production ramp has started, and not weeks beforehand
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

What components does Apple produce alone!? Of course its the suppliers that cause delays, but its still Apple's fault. Perhaps they should begin to announce their products when the production ramp has started, and not weeks beforehand

I think they wait to start production so no one can let us Future Hardware fiends know the full details of the new stuff before Steve-O gets to wow us at some press event.

You don't see many other computer companies making the big deal Apple does over new products / product updates. Maybe Dell fans (is there such a thing?) aren't foaming at the mouth waiting for Mikey to spill his guts on the latest Inspiron update.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    The problem, I think, is that Steve thinks he's got the power to make suppliers do what he wants. He'll announce something way ahead of time to put pressure on the suppliers to deliver but it almost always backfires. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the suppliers weren't delaying the Mac components on purpose just to spite Steve.

When ATI announced their new card a few days before a certain keynote we won't mention, Steve, in his fury, decided to not ship the card to 'punish' ATI. But who is he really punishing? ATI must have been laughing its ass off. Sure, they might have lost a bit of money...but nothing compared to Apple who probably had to remove all the ATI cards from its almost-shipping Macs, and replace the cards with another card. Change all the ads that had any mention of the ATI card.

But that's not all...Apple probably lost more money than ATI but also customer respect. Apple was essentially punishing its customers by downgrading the video card.

Apple only has ~3% marketshare...I think its safe to say the suppliers have the power over Apple. Steve should get off his high horse and back to reality.

Steve has got to stop pre-announcing products the way he does. I thought Apple was all about secrecy nowadays...why not go all the way and not announce the product until its fuckin' shipped.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    So do we have any idea on when this card will be released yet?

iDunno