osx server and sql server

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
my company is building a system for a new hospital. they are thinking of getting ibm server + 10 clients. software works on an sql server.

i know the boss of this new hospital personally and he s a mac fan. i hoping to convince him if the system works on a xserve.

i have not much idea about servers and databases. is it possible to serve 10 ibm clients with a special hospital software which needs a sql server, on a xserve?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    There are a few things that I bet you don't know off hand that are going to be the deciding factors:

When you say "SQL Server", does the software involve need a sql database server, or does it require "Microsoft SQL Server"... the badly named relational database software that only runs on Windows (and can only be connected to by Windows clients)? Sadly I am going to bet on the latter.

If it is the former, then if the software is happy with a MySQL install, then MacOS X Server has it installed out of the box. Installs of MySQL and PostgreSQL are both very easy on any MacOS X computer.

The other situation I could see is that the "IBM server" is a AIX box running DB/2, which would also preclude Mac's in either the server or client roles (unless they are running over at JDBC connection... which is possible).

Another varient on this is if it is an AIX box, but the clients are just running 5250 emulators ("green screens"), then there is a nice MacOS X client that works just fine.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    If the hospital has money to burn buy Oracle 10g for the Macintosh and run it on the XServe
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sadly the software needs microsoft sql.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Too bad... but unsurprising. One note: Please do not call it "Microsoft SQL"... the product's name is "Microsoft SQL Server". By not including the word "server" you are implying that Microsoft had anything to do with the creation of SQL... it didn't. While this sounds like a minor point, many PHB's get lured into thinking that SQL = Microsoft, and since they have heard that the "need" SQL... well, you get the point.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

If the hospital has money to burn buy Oracle 10g for the Macintosh and run it on the XServe

DO NOT put 10g on the xserve

its not out of beta yet

stick with linux or solaris

10g works great on either of the above
  • Reply 6 of 7
    thanks for the infos. they r getting ibm x series servers to run the ms sql server.i could only convince them to get 2 iMacs for the internet corner. now if only there are any of them in october
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

When you say "SQL Server", does the software involve need a sql database server, or does it require "Microsoft SQL Server"... the badly named relational database software that only runs on Windows (and can only be connected to by Windows clients)?

MS SQL server can be connected to by non-windows clients:

FreeTDS