How to modify the "Open With" list ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a way to modify the "open with" list in OSX 10.3 so I can remove say 30 of the choices that various software has installed? Photoshop and others installed around 30 different packets that make the list simply huge and annoying to scroll through. Any tips would be great to get the list modified.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by XdEd

Is there a way to modify the "open with" list in OSX 10.3 so I can remove say 30 of the choices that various software has installed? Photoshop and others installed around 30 different packets that make the list simply huge and annoying to scroll through. Any tips would be great to get the list modified.

Excellent question. I've been wondering about this as well. I'd assume you have to modify a com.apple.something or a plist file?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    First of all, with those stupid Photoshop Droplets, I just went to the folder (/Adobe Photoshop/Samples/Droplets) and zipped the whole folder (right-click, Create Archive). That got rid of a bunch of those things right off the bat.

With an app that is a package, you can do this:

1. Right-click on app, select "Show Package Contents"

(If you don't see that option, the app is not a package)

2. open the "Contents" folder

3. Make a backup of the "Info.plist" file with Fileuplicate.

4. Open the "Info.plist" file in the text editor of your choice.

5. Find the line

Code:

<key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>

6. Below that line, you should find multiple sections wrapped in <dict> ... </dict> tags. Each section represents one type of document that the application declares it can handle. You want to remove whichever dicts you don't want the app to handle.

For example, I modigied the OmniGraffle .plist by removing the following:

Code:

<dict>

<key>CFBundleTypeExtensions</key>

<array>

<string>jpg</string>

<string>jpeg</string>

</array>

<key>CFBundleTypeName</key>

<string>JPEG Format</string>

<key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>

<array>

<string>JPEG</string>

</array>

<key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>

<string>None</string>

</dict>

• Reply 3 of 4
    My sincerest thanks to you all. I was getting really tired of all those Photoshop-shortcuts. Trashing the droplets worked brilliantly.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I tried to creat an archive and it really did little to change the list. After I deleted the original folder since I have it in the zip, it worked perfectly to eliminate all the Xtras I dont need. Thx big time...