You get the wrong paychek, what do you do?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
full story. You are a paperboy, you get a $300,000 deposite intended for a player on the baseball team that your company owns.

You have to hold onto it for taxes, you owe tax on it weather you give it back or not.

ME: I am keeping it if I am paying tax for it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I expected this post to be about your boss screwing you over.

A previous employer made a habit of not paying the employees on pay day or screwing up paychecks in other ways, randomly deducting $100 from everyone's checks or screwing up vacation day counts. Needless to say, me and a half dozen other employees no longer work for the scoundrel.

If this was me, I'd definitely give the money back. Otherwise this will follow you for the rest of your life. Asking for compensation on the tax liability is not out of the question however. I'd talk to an accountant or tax consultant and figure out your liability. Then return all the money except for the amount you need to pay in taxes and the cost of the consultant's time, etc. They placed this hassle on you and its fair that you not have to pay out of pocket to clean up their mess.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 3 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The guy's being an a-hole. He should have told his boss right off. The bit about taxes is bullshit and he knows it. He needs them to "open the books"? Give me a break.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Sounds like he's trying to get something out of it besides simply an agreement that he has no tax liability as a result of the deposit.

Pretty fishy.

I got my paycheck today and saw that they paid me incorrectly - got almost $500 extra, but on Monday I'll let them know about it.

It's just a Karma thing for me.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Imagine the self-justification when he first received the cheque:

"Alright! A raise! of $1,500 per house!"

Meanwhile, the pitcher is wondering what dog house he was in to get $.003 per pitch suddenly.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

This idiot is just squatting on the $$ for the interest return. If you are not the legal recipient of the money and you return it, you do not have a tax liability. A letter and accounting trail of the returned money is all that is required.

Keeping any money at this point actually opens him up to ramifications due to his actions which can cost him, and because they are his actions and not those of the Cubs mistake, they are his responsibility to pay. Not to mention that a judge isn't going to look too kindly on his keeping his mouth shut for five weeks when he knew there was a problem. Dumb asses always manage to get themselves in trouble by trying to act cute, rather than doing the right thing up front.

If the tax thing can be negated, I would return it, I just wouldn't want to go in the hole doing it (lawyer/acountant fees).
  • Reply 7 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 8 of 8
    The story would be really funny if the name of the paper carrier were Steve Bartman.