Maybe home-on-ipod isn't really needed

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
You know, I have been thinking.

.Mac and its iDisk feature is a lot more suited to the tasks that home-on-ipod is supposed to do. You can auto-sync all your important data, store any files you want, etc.

And since it is so tightly integrated with Mac OS X, it makes accessing your iDisk as simple as clicking a few buttons. And then if you add stuff to your iDisk from another computer and then later connect to your iDisk from your actual home computer, all your new stuff will be available to you.

Plus, if you have a local copy of your iDisk on your computer, everything will be updated automatically.

There are just two downsides to using .Mac as a replacement for "home-on-ipod".

1) You're only given 100MB. This definitely needs to be increased. You have free e-mail services offering so much more.

2) You need an internet connection. .Mac isn't really useful if you can't access it. But that really isn't something Apple can fix.

Just my two cents.

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    I'd still prefer home-on-iPod though. iDisk is slow and manually moving files to and from an iPod can become confusing (not to mention security). It would be the closest we've become to completely syncing multiple machines all the way down to preferences and the odd photoshop file I forgot to copy to iPod tonight, hehe.

Spent a good deal of time at work this week setting up BBEdit 8 preferences from scratch and looking up things I didn't know in the manual. I'd like to sync setups with home.

"But you could just copy the pref file Ion."

Yes I know, but that is just one example just this week. I'm busy enough at work to remember little things. iPod syncs with iTunes by simply dropping it in it's cradle. It would be great for that to happen system wide.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I agree that .Mac would be better than home-on-ipod if .Mac had a 40Gb capacity. The problem is that the storage capacity is a couple orders of magnitude off. That isn't going to change any time soon.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I agree that .Mac would be better than home-on-ipod if .Mac had a 40Gb capacity. The problem is that the storage capacity is a couple orders of magnitude off. That isn't going to change any time soon.

If they DID do home-on-iPod, I hope they include FileVault functionality, so that in case you lose the iPod the data can't be accessed. If such was the case, would the CPU in the iPod be powerful enough to handle the encrypt/decrypt functions, or would that be handled by whatever host computer you might be using?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    That would be handled by the host. The iPod would just act as a hardware drive.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rara Posts: 623member
    Maybe not home-on-.Mac but perhaps it could house all of your preferences and settings? Then when you login, choose .Mac from the list, type your .Mac name, and have instant access to your custom environment!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    This is the first I've heard of "home-on-ipod". I think I shall use Google to figure out what it is..

edit: according to my brief research, it was an idea that got canceled. What are you talking about then?

edit2: maybe that is what you're talking about.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ika

This is the first I've heard of "home-on-ipod". I think I shall use Google to figure out what it is..

edit: according to my brief research, it was an idea that got canceled. What are you talking about then?

edit2: maybe that is what you're talking about.

It is not exactly clear what happened to it. It appeared in Apple's description of Jaguar when it was first announced. The description was changed after an hour or two. It is not clear if it was cancelled or simply didn't make the cut and will be put in a later release (or if it was simply the dream of a copy editer someplace which never really existed). Anyway, a lot of us think it was a good idea.