Imac G5 and OS X Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What will happen to the all new imac when OS X Tiger comes along?
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 28
    thttht Posts: 3,168member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by nguzman

    What will happen to the all new imac when OS X Tiger comes along?



    By Spring 05, it'll be the old iMac and everyone will be going crazy wondering what will be in the new iMac. As for Tiger, the iMac will run it fine. Any iMac G4 and above will run it fine.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by THT

    By Spring 05, it'll be the old iMac and everyone will be going crazy wondering what will be in the new iMac. As for Tiger, the iMac will run it fine. Any iMac G4 and above will run it fine.



    ...and iMac G4 and below will run it quite fine.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    theg5theg5 Posts: 2member
    my 466mhz ibook runs Panther just fine..
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I am running Tiger on a G3 400MHz powerbook and it runs well.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

    Originally posted by GreggWSmith

    I am running Tiger on a G3 400MHz powerbook and it runs well.



    How come you have Tiger?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by nguzman

    How come you have Tiger?



    ADC member would be the legal answer...
  • Reply 7 of 28
    I think Tiger will increase 64 bit optimization which will only improve the performance of the G5 iMac. By the time it comes out there will also be more 3rd party software available, or nearing completion, that will utilize the G5 potential. A lot of third party development will be motivated by the demand for the G5 iMac, especially in a competitive market.



    I have a feeling that everyone will be very surprised at the performance bump for the G5 iMac when Tiger is released.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Yeah, now that the PowerMac isn't the only Apple computer with a G5 in it, I do agree that we will start to see many more G5-optimized applications.



    Mike
  • Reply 9 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,756member
    It is not just the improvements to Tiger as an OS that will be helping out the G5. The hope is that Apple will upgrade to a significantly improved GCC compiler suite. If they rebuild the entire software package, that comprises MacOS/X, we are likely to see across the board performance inprovements.



    G5 and the G4 are likely to benefit. So while 64 bit optimizations may have a place and could potentially offer improvements, we are likely to see significant gains even on older hardware.



    Thanks

    Dave





    Quote:

    Originally posted by kenaustus

    I think Tiger will increase 64 bit optimization which will only improve the performance of the G5 iMac. By the time it comes out there will also be more 3rd party software available, or nearing completion, that will utilize the G5 potential. A lot of third party development will be motivated by the demand for the G5 iMac, especially in a competitive market.



    I have a feeling that everyone will be very surprised at the performance bump for the G5 iMac when Tiger is released.




  • Reply 10 of 28
    I think Tiger should have been included with the new imac or at least a voucher so you dont have to spend £99 to make it run how it should
  • Reply 11 of 28
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by imac600mhz

    I think Tiger should have been included with the new imac or at least a voucher so you dont have to spend £99 to make it run how it should



    What do you mean run like it should? It does run like it should, running apple's very latest OS offering, just like every other machine they sell.



    I imagine you'd get a lot of ticked of people if apple included their developer preview OS and have it crashing folks computers all the time
  • Reply 12 of 28
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Yeah, probably an obvious thing, but by time Tiger comes out the newer computers will come with it..depends if you want the computer now or if you want to wait for Tiger..



    Didn't the G5's first come out with Jaguar on it?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by jwill

    Didn't the G5's first come out with Jaguar on it?



    Yes, but with a $29 update coupon.



    The iMac G5 won't have that, unless you buy it early next year.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by wizard69

    It is not just the improvements to Tiger as an OS that will be helping out the G5. The hope is that Apple will upgrade to a significantly improved GCC compiler suite. If they rebuild the entire software package, that comprises MacOS/X, we are likely to see across the board performance inprovements.



    Tiger will come with gcc 3.5, which will indeed bring significant performance enhancements.



    However, Spotlight will slow things down at least a little bit.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    JUST FMI, WHEN IS TIGER DUE OUT?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ptrash

    JUST FMI, WHEN IS TIGER DUE OUT?



    The official timeframe for Tiger to be released is the "first half of 2005". That's all we know.



    Everyone seems to be expecting that to be around April/May - reasoning being if it were before then Apple would have announced "first quarter of 2005", and any later then they risk missing their announced window with even the tiniest slip.



    Neil.

    a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    Tiger will come with gcc 3.5, which will indeed bring significant performance enhancements.



    That's nice if you're writing applications...



    What I'd like to see is OS X compiled entirely with IBM's compiler!



    IBM's XL C/C++ Compiler
  • Reply 18 of 28
    If were are lucky Tiger will come at the fourth anniversary of Mac OS X.

    So it will be out on March 24, 2005



    edit :: wrong year
  • Reply 19 of 28
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Tom Mornini

    That's nice if you're writing applications...



    What I'd like to see is OS X compiled entirely with IBM's compiler!



    IBM's XL C/C++ Compiler




    Well, IBM doesn't provide compilers for ObjC and ObjC++ that I know of.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    Well, IBM doesn't provide compilers for ObjC and ObjC++ that I know of.



    You'd think there would be a preprocessor to take ObjC into C?
Sign In or Register to comment.