Which is better?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK- so I'm selling my 15" PowerBook on eBay...

PowerBook

I'm planning on getting the 17" iMac G5 with a few upgrades. I noticed that Small Dog has a 1.6 GHz PowerMac G5 for $1499...

What would be better? Will the PowerMac have better performance than the iMac? The PowerMac only has 256 RAM and an 80GB HD, but these can be upgraded over time. The iMac would have 512 ram.

Thanx

-taco

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    What about the additional cost of a monitor? What about bus speed? What type of hard disk is being used in the 1.6? What type of RAM?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

What about the additional cost of a monitor? What about bus speed? What type of hard disk is being used in the 1.6? What type of RAM?

Really is just comes down to if you want the PCI expansion or to upgrade the graphics card. If you want neither of those you may as well get the iMac. If you want either of those the PowerMac.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The PowerMac would be a bit faster, since it's FSB is 800Mhz compared to 600Mhz, plus then you can upgrade the graphics card, ram to above 2GB.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Well- apple has a dual 1.8 on their site for $1699... but I don't have a display.

Any recommendations for non-apple displays or cheap apple displays 17" or bigger?

I have a $1950 budget.