Are these specs for a G5 good?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A friend is selling his Powermac G5. I want to set up graphic design studio at home (inc video editing). Not sure if the below specs are good for the price he's asking? Also not sure what some of the bits are.

Thanks!

nicsterau.

Power Mac G5 2 Ghz Dual-Processor (what is the diff with a Dual?)

1 Gb RAM

160 GB Hard Drive

Super Drive

Mac OS X Panther v 10.3

iLife '04 (what is this??)

Apple 17" LCD Display with ADC Connector (what is an ADC connector??)

AU$4250 (equivalent $2964 US, $1647 UK)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Well if he's offering that for £1600 it's a damn good price in my opinion. You would be saving a lot of money compared to if it you were buying it new.

BTW Dual means two G5 Processors, which gives you a great boost in speed, especially for things such as video editing.

iLife 04 is just a bunch of apps that Apple produces, Garageband, iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto etc.

If you're doing video editing I would buy more RAM, upgrade to about 2GB, this has to be done with two dimms, each one the same size or so I've been told (so two 512MB sticks of RAM). Also you might want to get another harddrive. I don't do video editing, well only very amateur level stuff in iMovie and Final Cut Pro, and guys on these forums always seem to need more harddrives and ram.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by nicsterau

A friend is selling his Powermac G5. I want to set up graphic design studio at home (inc video editing). Not sure if the below specs are good for the price he's asking? Also not sure what some of the bits are.

Thanks!

nicsterau.

Power Mac G5 2 Ghz Dual-Processor (what is the diff with a Dual?)

1 Gb RAM

160 GB Hard Drive

Super Drive

Mac OS X Panther v 10.3

iLife '04 (what is this??)

Apple 17" LCD Display with ADC Connector (what is an ADC connector??)

AU$4250 (equivalent $2964 US, $1647 UK)

Dual = two processors

iLife '04 = Apple software package (iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto), comes for free w/ new systems, but otherwise $50 (my dual G5 did't come w/ it, since I got it in late '93).

ADC = Apple Display Connector. Before their current line of displays, their displays used this connector, which is basically DVI, USB, and power on one cable, so that you only have one cable from the computer to the monitor, no need for external power cable, usb cable, etc.

That dual 2GHz system was $3000US when it came out, is now (more or less) $2499US, and the display is $699US. I know Apple is (much) more expensive down under, so that sounds like a good deal.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

(my dual G5 did't come w/ it, since I got it in late '93).

Conclusive proof that those Apple bastards have been sitting on the good stuff for years!