Hurricane Ivan

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK...who's ready to make some early predictions on the path of this new monster? Lets just hope it spares poor FlaUSA, as I just dont think they can take another one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    G-d is trying to tell you americans something about Florida.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I think Ivan is scheduled to hit Cuba, though these predictions don't mean too much until it's closer.

It is a bit funny that I move to Florida, and then 3 hurricanes come barreling in during one summer. It must be a terrorist plot or something, since Jeb Bush is the governor of Florida. Of course, if they miss and hit Cuba instead, then I think they'll be in trouble.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I think Ivan is scheduled to hit Cuba, though these predictions don't mean too much until it's closer.

It is a bit funny that I move to Florida, and then 3 hurricanes come barreling in during one summer. It must be a terrorist plot or something, since Jeb Bush is the governor of Florida. Of course, if they miss and hit Cuba instead, then I think they'll be in trouble.

terrorist plots aside I just want a few days off work so even if it barrels straight for southeast Louisiana and then hits the least populated portion of the state (head-on I mean) then I'll be happy. Can I just get a couple of non-vacation, vacation days please?
  • Reply 4 of 32
    I would have SO MUCH rather gone to work on labor day than have driven to Jacksonville and back, despite the 6 day weekend.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    prediction??? it will go through Florida's back-door. maybe the panhandle. or take the path Charlie did.

or not.

is el nino messing around somewhere out there helping spawn all this strife??
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by elppa cam

prediction??? it will go through Florida's back-door. maybe the panhandle. or take the path Charlie did.

or not.

is el nino messing around somewhere out there helping spawn all this strife??

theres been little to no mention of the El Nino effect this year for some reason. Have you seen the latest coordinated and storm info? This sucker is now a category 5 with 160 mph sustained winds. The latest 5 day forcast has it taking a jog north after slamming Jamaica and then heading through southern Florida early next week. I might be in the market for some cheap realistate in Florida early this coming year. Seriously those poor bastards need a break from these damn storms.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

theres been little to no mention of the El Nino effect this year for some reason. Have you seen the latest coordinated and storm info? This sucker is now a category 5 with 160 mph sustained winds. The latest 5 day forcast has it taking a jog north after slamming Jamaica and then heading through southern Florida early next week. I might be in the market for some cheap realistate in Florida early this coming year. Seriously those poor bastards need a break from these damn storms.

Let's hope it doesn't hit Homestead, which after 13 years is finally totally rebuilt from Andrew. Plus, I have business interests in Homestead. Curses.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    hey, if it continues straight on its present path, It just might hit Texas and not Florida.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...0409_5day.html

• Reply 9 of 32
    I was just wondering what would happen if you detonated a really large bomb (or a small tactical nuke) in the centre (or slightly off to one side) of a hurricane, would it dissipate it? or perhaps an air vapourising laser.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

I was just wondering what would happen if you detonated a really large bomb (or a small tactical nuke) in the centre (or slightly off to one side) of a hurricane, would it dissipate it? or perhaps an air vapourising laser.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/C5c.html

a mature hurricane releases as much (heat energy) as a 10 megaton bomb h-bomb every 20 minutes (!). The energy released by a small tactical nuke, say a kiloton, would be equivalent of .12 seconds of "hurricane power"....like a flea trying to stop an elephant charging.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, son of a bitch. wake up this morning, and now projected path takes it down the mouth of mobile, alabama. a week ago, it was supposed to hit florida and nothing else. this 'cane is moving so ridiculously slow (12-15 mph) it's impossible to say where it'll land.

now, i have heard that the levees erected around new orleans to keep the lake and river out are only rated up to category 3 hurricanes. in other words, category 4 or higher and this town is (most likely) under water. lots of it. i'm on the north shore of lake ponchartrain, so i am actually above sea level, but right between two rivers, and not MUCH above sea level. so we'll be evacuating probably at level 3 or higher.

no matter where this sucker strikes, it's gonna hurt.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

well, son of a bitch. wake up this morning, and now projected path takes it down the mouth of mobile, alabama. a week ago, it was supposed to hit florida and nothing else. this 'cane is moving so ridiculously slow (12-15 mph) it's impossible to say where it'll land.

now, i have heard that the levees erected around new orleans to keep the lake and river out are only rated up to category 3 hurricanes. in other words, category 4 or higher and this town is (most likely) under water. lots of it. i'm on the north shore of lake ponchartrain, so i am actually above sea level, but right between two rivers, and not MUCH above sea level. so we'll be evacuating probably at level 3 or higher.

no matter where this sucker strikes, it's gonna hurt.

No Doubt, My wife and I are starting to get nervous about this thing as it slowly continues its path wnw. I am planning to decide tommorow morning if it is time to get out of here. This is gonna be very bad news.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I tell you, this sucker is coming for George Bush, straight to the heart of Texas. G-d is very pissed at the moment.

Expect Georgie to stand infront of the hurricane and tell it to go away, on G-ds authority.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

I tell you, this sucker is coming for George Bush, straight to the heart of Texas. G-d is very pissed at the moment.

Expect Georgie to stand infront of the hurricane and tell it to go away, on G-ds authority.

and perhaps Kerry can redirect this monster in his swiftboat and save us all. gotta love how even hurricane talk somehow invites the sheep to make nonrelivant political comments.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    well, we've got wood pre-cut for the windows, which i guess will be tomorrow afternoon's project if necessary. it'll be a game time decision when i wake up and see what the new estimates are for landfall.

we're headed for houston if we have to go (we have dogs, so we gotta stay at a red roof inn somewhere, and all others are booked right now... hmmm, never been to houston).

tonight, yours truly gets to shove expensive things into the attic to keep them dry. groan...

slight edit: houston is a worst-case thing. we can actually even stay closer, but it depends on room and traffic. mind you, i have driven through worse storms in upstate new york and cleveland before. no lie, one summer in 1998, we drove through the most evil storm i have ever laid my eyes on between cleveland and eire, pennsylvannia...
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Its hard to not get caught up in all the "it appears to be on a northeastern trend" or "now it appears to be headed west" chatter. With the potential for this much damage everyone is on their toes. Its painful to wait hour after hour to see if we need to evacuate or even board up at all.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Hot on the heels of Ivan... meet Jeanne. She just made it to hurricane status (congratulations, Jeanne!) but still doesn't look nearly as organized as Ivan, which is probably why no one seems real worried about her. She's just clipped the northern shore of Puerto Rico and appears headed straight for Florida, Frances-style.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    well, as most have already realized, ivan managed to duck to the side moments before crashing into new orleans. as a result, new orleans barely even got RAIN, much less the hurricane (though lakeshore avenue was under several feet of water, since it's right on the lake and the storm surge pushed a lot of water in).

the irony is the TRUE disaster of 48 hours of lost work time by all of new orleans as evacuation could not have gone worse (well, okay, that's not true, but my typical one hour commute tuesday afternoon took FOUR). and now everyone's got to come back, probably all at once again.

the state government has a lot of egg on its face for screwing up the traffic control as badly as it did. sure, it was a million people, but they had plenty of notice of the mayor's announcement for urged evacs and still didn't get the counter-flow on i-55 set up until 2.5 hours LATE.

great-american gridlock. took me and my wife TWELVE HOURS to get to houston (it typically takes about six).

needless to say, i am really getting sick of driving.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

great-american gridlock. took me and my wife TWELVE HOURS to get to houston (it typically takes about six).

needless to say, i am really getting sick of driving.

Shoulders. I used them wisely when I was coming back from J-ville. Shaved at least 90mins off the problem.